Dwarf moray care tips

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys so i finally pulled the trigger and ill get my dearf moray in a fee weeks.

I will quarantine it in a 20g for 30 days minimum and plan on doing preventive cupramine and gc treatment. Any concernes regarding this fish with those medications?

Also i will get the red sea tank cover for my rimless tank aswell as some solution for my qt.

Im pretty sure the fish allready accepted frozen food at the wholesale bit not 100%.

At home i currently only have krill and brine shrimp aswell as some mixed meati stuff.

Any recommendations what to get as food?

Any tips are welcome. My tank is a 65g mixed reef.

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for my eel, I never feed frozen. I just get food when I go to the food store. I grab a random shrimp, clam, etc and chomp it up a bit and feed that.

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two in my 180 gallon they love Clam. Frozen or from the store. On that note do not keep any clams in your tank or they will be eaten. They are easy to take care of. I feed mine once a week if they are really hungry they will come out and swim around.

OP
OP
K

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lfs i work at has clam. Ill get that. Also do you know what to look out for in a food store, im afraid the seafood in my area isnt clean enough(spices or some treatment..,)

What should i look out for?

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lfs i work at has clam. Ill get that. Also do you know what to look out for in a food store, im afraid the seafood in my area isnt clean enough(spices or some treatment..,)

What should i look out for?
Go to the seafood counter and ask for raw unseasoned of whatever you want. They may give you a funny look when you ask for a single shrimp, scallop, and clam though :D

I’ll have 1 octopus tentacle please ;Hilarious

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kirschy17 I was going to start a new thread but I saw yours so I’m piggybacking on it.

I too have ordered a gold dwarf moray. It will arrive tomorrow! What did I get myself into? Are they prone to any specific illnesses or diseases? Anything I should be made aware of? This will be my first eel and predator so I’m a tad nervous.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my little fellow arrived today. Meet Wrinkles! Named by my 4 year old :D

5D2F02A0-B368-4A6B-9563-2D19BE10B8BF.jpeg

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys here is Sylar. I have a some concern. First one being he hasn’t eaten for a week. I’ve read they can go a bit without eating when introduced into tank life. Is there a food they just go crazy over that I could try? Another thing which is my main concern is this head shaking thing he’s doing. Here’s a video I spliced together.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys here is Sylar. I have a some concern. First one being he hasn’t eaten for a week. I’ve read they can go a bit without eating when introduced into tank life. Is there a food they just go crazy over that I could try? Another thing which is my main concern is this head shaking thing he’s doing. Here’s a video I spliced together.

Mine ate an hour after going in the tank. I fed him a piece of squid from LRS. Mine breathes faster than yours and definitely does not shake his head like that. @Humblefish - do you know of any parasite or disease that may have a symptom like that head shake?

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How’s Sylar doing? Has he eaten yet? Still shaking his head?

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dsnakes Sylar is doing great! He had a his second silver side just a couple of hours ago. I started another thread to figure out something about the head shaking. The known expert have led me to believe the head shaking is behavioral. After hearing this and observing sylar I agree with the conclusion the head shaking is behavioral. I’m very happy with him can’t wait for the qt period to be completed so I can get him into his 180 gallon home.

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys update on Sylar. He entered the display over the weekend and is doing great. He’s eating anything I put on the long tweezers and calling the left third of the scape his home. Hope everyone else’s little guys are doing well.
B78B594F-CF3A-47EE-9B08-C4AB60BCA436.jpeg

OP
OP
K

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Window, as my lil baby is gonna be named should have arrived last friday but will come in this friday. He will go into quarantine and preventive gc treatment after hes eating.

Hope everything will go well! Wish me luck.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a GDM in some form for the last 5 years (I lost my first one during a tank transfer. He wrapped around a heater and burnt himself. I was devastated. I got another one because I simply love them).

First off, I suggest using CP (chloroquine phosphate) over copper, especially with scale less fish. Also, get him eating before you add the meds. I had to go fallow because of a velvet outbreak. Mine refused to eat while the meds were in the water. He would sniff it and hide. 2 days after adding carbon to remove the CP he was eating normally. Maybe the smell of the meds were screwing with his nose?

The good thing is they can go months without eating, so fill his belly first.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back