Dwarf moray care tips

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a chance he is eating leftovers. I can tell how hungry mine is by how far he comes out when it is feeding time. If it's just his head, he is good. If its 50% of his body, he's hangry!!

Mine will go completely out of his rock and will swim all over the tank

OP
OP
K

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May i introduce u guys? Window, R2R. R2R, Window!

Finallllyyyyyyyyy

566E8079-1E1B-4FFD-83AE-D8E1A44B0A52.jpeg

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my little guy still has not eaten and I have had him since 9/25, he is very active and wanders all over the Tank, but has no Interest in anything I have given him so far (krill, silversides, mysis). Anyone have any recommendations

I’ve kept a lot of predatory fish in my day (mostly freshwater) and from my experience hunger strikes is something to be expected from time to time.

For example: my pair of Gymnothorax polyuranodon refused to eat for well over a month when I first got them.
The key is to just keep calm and offer different foods every now and again. This is where money people screw up, they freak out and start trying a bunch of things and that just stresses the fish out.

Just keep calm and reef on! ;)

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have still never seen him eat, but I placed a piece of squid tentacle next to his hole and it was gone 15 min later. He has also stopped being as active in the tank, mostly sticking to his three main holes in the live rock.

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0FFC9CE0-FA23-4C9E-A65B-7D7AA0B44399.jpeg
I’ve had my GDM for a few months now. He’s awesome! Never picks on anything. And definitely never picked at my clam. I feel him frozen krill and live shrimps when store has them. He readily takes silversides from hand. He seems pretty happy, never complains

OP
OP
K

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, may i just ask you what tankmates you have for your gdm?

In particular im wondering if those would work or if they are at risk of being eaten:

Partner goby/sand ,sifter goby, starry blenny? What do you think? Also what about mandarins or a orchid dottyback?

Im unsure what size fish moray could eventually fit in their mouth. Also hes gonna be fed all the time! Hows the risks exactly?

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kirschy17 My little guy is in a mixed reef with all kinds of livestock. Tangs butterflies and smaller fish as well. I have a green mandarin, Midas blenny, and small long nose hawk fish, small female leopard wrasse, cleaner wrasse. No issues yet and I honestly think there won’t be any when you keep them feed well.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kirschy17 My little guy is in a mixed reef with all kinds of livestock. Tangs butterflies and smaller fish as well. I have a green mandarin, Midas blenny, and small long nose hawk fish, small female leopard wrasse, cleaner wrasse. No issues yet and I honestly think there won’t be any when you keep them feed well.
Mine is in my predator tank and he can take down a pretty good size silverslide.

I have a orchid dottyback and royal gramma in the reef tank, both are smaller than the silverslides. Now, he may be lazy, but a small sleeping fish MAY be a goner.

OP
OP
K

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in my predator tank and he can take down a pretty good size silverslide.

I have a orchid dottyback and royal gramma in the reef tank, both are smaller than the silverslides. Now, he may be lazy, but a small sleeping fish MAY be a goner.
Ye i noticed the size of the silversids mine takes in qt, and hes only about 7”

OP
OP
K

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys so i know we had that allready but still...

My guy has eaten like 3 times before i started treatment with gc first and now with cp. since medication is in the water he hasnt eaten. Thats been like 2 weeks and theres about 2 more weeks untill treatment is finished and ill move him to my dt.

I know its normal for them to not eat when theres medication present but still im kinda worried. What would u guys do?

OP
OP
K

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put him in DT

you wouldn't finish treatment? i lost 90% of my fish to a brook incident id really make sure to be on the safe side. ofc i don't want to put the fish at risk eighter. i could do a water change, and remove the medication and then get him to eat again. he's still looking healthy but that's not really a solution tighter right? maybe water change to lower concentration?

i mean it shouldn't hurt him to eat for a month right? shouldn't i just finish treatment and then move him?

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop treatment and get him eating again, eels in general are less prone to parasites. Watch him for another two weeks in your QT if you want, but having him go a month without eating just to potentially cure him of a disease that he likely doesn’t have is not a good idea to me.

the new reef kid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse me but could a dwarf golden moray that’s around nine inches live with a 2 and a half inch fish

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.6%
Back