Dwarf Pygmy Gobies

Moll¥

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering breeding small gobies, under 2". Does anyone have an opinion on which species should, shouldn't or Need to be propagated? Thanks

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like already stated, any aquacultured goby would be great. Neon gobies are popular and should be a good choice.

OP
OP
Moll¥

Moll¥

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advise, I visited a LFS last week to see what captive bred they stocked, and was informed that saltwater fish (other than Clowns) were NOT propagated.:(

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Striped blennies are are great little fish that are easily captive bred as far as I know

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pygmy Dart Gobies.
When you can find them they are usually sold in groups of 5 or 10. They are super small and are great for Nano or Pico.
download.jpg

Last edited:

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Eyed Dartfish
These are one of my favorite Nano fish, but you can only find them in Japan. Super Awesome $$$
Tryssogobius-colini.jpg

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink Eyed Gobies
Another great shoaling fish for Nano and Pico tanks. Usually sold in groups of 5 or more. (if you can find them).
unnamed.jpg

OP
OP
Moll¥

Moll¥

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been told that in order to get a foot in the door at my LFS I need to breed what they already stock, I plan to start with pajama cardinals and nail down my phyto/pod protocol, make some fat babies, then discuss why he needs to carry pygmy gobies.Love the pink eyes!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lean towards a species others have on here have bred successfully. So you can use those members as a resource on caring for their fry care, how to get them in the mood, etc)

Systems commercial breeders use are not always scalable to the hobbyist level. Captive bred butterflies are a big example)

In that vein trimma gobies i have seen a few threads on those able to breed them successfully as a hobbyist.

OP
OP
Moll¥

Moll¥

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any progress?
I am 20 days in on cycling new breeding tanks. I wanted to setup a completely clean system. Looking for breeding stock. I think I am going to pull the trigger in some juvenile Pajamas available in Phoenix from ORA. Thanks for asking.

OP
OP
Moll¥

Moll¥

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lean towards a species others have on here have bred successfully. So you can use those members as a resource on caring for their fry care, how to get them in the mood, etc)

Systems commercial breeders use are not always scalable to the hobbyist level. Captive bred butterflies are a big example)

In that vein trimma gobies i have seen a few threads on those able to breed them successfully as a hobbyist.
I have read a few papers on trimma a feel confident that I can raise them.

I have read the threads and a few papers on trimma, I also have matt wittenrichs' book and I have good grasp of the process. I worry, however, about rehoming the fry, I can find no enthusiasm locally for homegrown gobies. I cant ship so the clubs and LFS are it.I know that now I am some "gonna do"rando on the interweb so I want to have a product ready to go. I figure everyone likes a pajama.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pygmy Dart Gobies.
When you can find them they are usually sold in groups of 5 or 10. They are super small and are great for Nano or Pico.
download.jpg

My LFS has these now....but from what I could find they need very frequent feedings and may not take frozen?

OP
OP
Moll¥

Moll¥

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the trimma and eviota types, no fussy eaters, fresh, frozen maybe pellets. make hearty fish available to nano reef people, I feel they are a huge market that is underserved. Easy fish = successful hobbyists that stay in the hobby.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not count on your LFS to buy your stock. Most will pay very little or nothing for a few fish from an unknown source. You might be better off shipping directly to hobbyists. Captive stock may not be the best choice for breeding stock. Large Breeders have figured out a way that the fish the become infertile after a few generations. I read an article on it a few years back. I do not know how well it works or not. If I recal it has to do with how they are inbread.

Back