DYI filter roller mat filter ideas!

EdsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about building my own dyi version of a filter roller mat, for my 180 gallon build with dual 1.5" drains. I am looing for ideas so if anyone has built their own I would love to see them to get some ideas to build my own, including what you used for parts to build it and what I should watchout for when building one of my own.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about building my own dyi version of a filter roller mat, for my 180 gallon build with dual 1.5" drains. I am looing for ideas so if anyone has built their own I would love to see them to get some ideas to build my own, including what you used for parts to build it and what I should watchout for when building one of my own.

The link below may be of interest to you. Good luck with whatever you decide to build!

mawhins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi @EdsonReefer, your post is a month old now but thought I'd share my approach with you. Will probably start a build thread at some point. I have some 5mm acrylic that is painted and manky but am using that for a prototype. I've started with the motor drive cylinder thingy. I've used a basic 12v geared motor that runs at 36rpm. I've only tested using a 9v wall wort so far but works well. This has an acrylic disc that I made a keyed hole in using a Dremel and needle files and I glued a slightly larger disk to that made out of a thong (Flip flop in America I believe). I fashioned some rings that sit around the motor and keep it centred within a piece of PVC pipe. The motor will be fixed to the carcass of the filter and the outer cylinder will rotate just like the real one. I've purchased an sk3000 filter roll so am working to that. For the feed roller I'm just planning on using the same PVC pipe but blocked out to fill the cardboard tube of the filter roll with more thong rubber (Flip flop rubber and yes I mean the footwear, I now have an old pair with big holes in the heel!). Photos attached, I have a video but not able to upload at the moment. Hope this helps, keen to hear how you're going with your project if you're still going on it.

IMG_20200524_174920.jpg
IMG_20200524_174913.jpg

mawhins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And a little video

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back