Dying clown fish?

SebastianM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, fairly new reefer here, I have a 10 gallon nano setup with two small clowns in it and some LPS coral. Recently my clown hasn’t been doing to well, and today he seems to be on his death bed. Either swimming near the surface breathing rapidly or near the sand bed. Seems to also have trouble keeping balanced, seems to lean to the side. This is the second clown that this has happened to in 4 months, both purchased from different stores, and both seemed healthy in the beginning and about a month down the road the same symptoms occur, only similar thing was that they were both tiny, about the size of a nickel-quarter. What confuses me is that the other black clown has been fine. I do a proper drip acclimation, water parameters are good, .026 salinity, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate are at 0, calc 450, PH 8, DKH 9, magnesium 1480 temp sits right between 78-79° I have the filter and power head creating movement at the surface for gas exchange... he shows no signs of ich or brooklynella, his scales are clean, the only thing I notice is the color on his nose starts to fade. I’ve dosed Prazipro before and feed garlic enriched Omega flakes, seemed to have gotten better and now turned for the worst again. I am stumped, do I just wait a few months before getting another clown, hoping whatever it is dies off in the tank? Here is a pic of the clown today
48F6DD0C-62DC-4A74-9F2D-8E8AF37BD064.jpeg
7AD7788D-1317-4674-ACCD-C1D95EC37DBC.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some info on a method for QT-ing incoming fish that may help:

OP
OP
S

SebastianM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the other, settled, clown bigger? Does he bully?
He is slightly bigger and a little territorial of the aquarium heater. He does not chase the other clown around though, only if they come near his aquarium heater. The bigger clown is doing fine. It’s the smaller ones that only last about a month, before getting “sick” (the color on the nose fading, rapid breathing, and loss of appetite) as mentioned before they don’t have any external signs of a parasite, leaving me confused.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stringy poop? Not all parasites are visible. It could be intestinal, or maybe gill flukes.

It could also just be plain old aggression and rejection. I would set up a second tank with just the bare basics and be ready to treat for things unseen.

OP
OP
S

SebastianM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stringy poop? Not all parasites are visible. It could be intestinal, or maybe gill flukes.

It could also just be plain old aggression and rejection. I would set up a second tank with just the bare basics and be ready to treat for things unseen.
I hope he makes it through the night. Things aren’t looking too good, I’ve added an air stone to the tank in hopes of helping the rapid breathing, and I dosed some Prazipro again. If he makes it I will try to medicate some food. I have learned the importance of a quarentine system and patience. ;Facepalm

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 79 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back