Dying fish, I believe he had 2 diseases brooks and velvet

cadroved67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so my fish is sick, he is a clownfish. He is breathing heavily and has recently stopped eating. His color is looking much better than in the past.

I have been treating with copper for a little over two weeks but he hasn’t fought it off yet since my ammonia got a little too high. It is under control now. I have also started daily 5 minute fresh water bath and 30 minute formalin baths.

Since getting it under control I have realized he has slim coming off him like a lot of it. I was thinking it is brooks too. after reading a few forum i found i can dose with metroplex with copper and to just increase the acceleration.

I do know that he for sure has velvet since I had 2 but the other one died which led me to find out that it is velvet from the the gold shiny scales. I was sad he died but now happy I know what has been affecting my fish for the past month or so.

So, my question is this the right treatment. Is there anything more i can do to make sure he has more chances of surviving?

Last edited:

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would stop the daily freshwater baths. Are you also saying a daily formalin bath? Who advised that? That sounds pointless.

The parasites that you are describing will respond to copper. I would stop all intervention other than maintaining fish in therapeutic copper for 30 days.

OP
OP
C

cadroved67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he has been in copper for almost 3 weeks it’s not working. Not pointless if it’s brooks as well. I’ve been doing them for only 2 days
I personally would stop the daily freshwater baths. Are you also saying a daily formalin bath? Who advised that? That sounds pointless.

The parasites that you are describing will respond to copper. I would stop all intervention other than maintaining fish in therapeutic copper for 30 days.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Likely brooklynella . Copper has been used in the past but Formalin is the ticket for curing such disease. While Freshwater dip temporarily relieve the onset- not a cure. At this pont you want to start in seperate container OR quarantine tank begin daily formalin baths. Formalin is a 37 percent solution of formaldehyde gas dissolved in water with methanol added as a stabilizer. It has been found to be an effective treatment for Brooklynella as well as other parasitic diseases.
Initially, the clownfish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Naturally, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.
he most noticeable sign of brook is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so my fish is sick, he is a clownfish. He is breathing heavily and has recently stopped eating. His color is looking much better than in the past.

I have been treating with copper for a little over two weeks but he hasn’t fought it off yet since my ammonia got a little too high. It is under control now. I have also started daily 5 minute fresh water bath and 30 minute formalin baths.

Since getting it under control I have realized he has slim coming off him like a lot of it. I was thinking it is brooks too. after reading a few forum i found i can dose with metroplex with copper and to just increase the acceleration.

I do know that he for sure has velvet since I had 2 but the other one died which led me to find out that it is velvet from the the gold shiny scales. I was sad he died but now happy I know what has been affecting my fish for the past month or so.

So, my question is this the right treatment. Is there anything more i can do to make sure he has more chances of surviving?

Hi, Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Take a look at the link below my name here. It outlines some additional information that is helpful to know when trying to determine the best course of action for you to take - pictures, video, water quality data, tank history, stuff like that.

Thanks,

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back