Dying Gorgonian Advice

ecossebear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, I am hoping for some advice. I bought a Gorgonian last week at the LFS who just has not been opening up. I have a mature tank (+7 years) with some hard and soft coral that are all thriving. I have tried putting this guy in a few places to get flow right and just isn’t opening. I use Ecotech Vortech M10’s (2 off) so plenty flow and the Radion so again plenty lights. Is there any help or advice or is it a lost cause? Photo attached.

Thanks in advance.
9E3DCC39-FA68-4C42-8619-CB4EA3D38692.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Biggest thing is flow and light for these guys. If flow is not at least medium as well as light- will not be happy. Should be placed higher level in the tank and fed small zooplankton several times a week.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my thoughts sadly. It’s a yellow finger gorgonia (not that it looks it now!)
You sure that's a yellow finger??
The looks like a blade to me. A photosynthetic blade.
Put it closer to the powerhead. These love flow.
I would not put it higher up, they grow tall when happy.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not yellow- This is a Photosynthetic species. Again much needed light and water flow

OP
OP
E

ecossebear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I try it on its side in the sand and see if that helps? Flow and light shouldn’t be an problem but I’ll put the PHs up a bit see if that helps

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Should I try it on its side in the sand and see if that helps? Flow and light shouldn’t be an problem but I’ll put the PHs up a bit see if that helps
Higher in the tank - the better

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to have enough flow so that it sways. They do enjoy plenty of flow. Laying it on the sand will make sure it doesn't have enough flow.

Sometimes gorgonian "skin-up" for a period of time. Then they shed the skin and open up normally. So don't give up yet.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, I am hoping for some advice. I bought a Gorgonian last week at the LFS who just has not been opening up. I have a mature tank (+7 years) with some hard and soft coral that are all thriving. I have tried putting this guy in a few places to get flow right and just isn’t opening. I use Ecotech Vortech M10’s (2 off) so plenty flow and the Radion so again plenty lights. Is there any help or advice or is it a lost cause? Photo attached.

Thanks in advance.
9E3DCC39-FA68-4C42-8619-CB4EA3D38692.jpeg

You sure that's a yellow finger??
The looks like a blade to me. A photosynthetic blade.
Put it closer to the powerhead. These love flow.
I would not put it higher up, they grow tall when happy.
I am 98 percent sure that's a photosynthetic type of gorgonian they want to be blasted with flow and light

I'm also not sure it dead it looks very very much alive to me the tissue is still healthy and shows very little signs of recession

Gorgonians with tissue are not dead as a dead one is just the internal winery Skelton

Gorgonians also go threw a shedding prosses that can take up to a week to finish when aclimating to a new environment and it'll also happen once a month or so for about a week they look like death and don't open

Then they will shed a waxy outer layer and open and be happy

Stip moving it let it be that's the worst thing for it

Enless it melts or shows starts to have tissue recession to a major degree Don touch it

Blow it off every day it's ticked it has brown algie on it right now and that will kill it

I have had one for 2 years and been thre walot with it

Latest being a shrrom getting stuck on it and almost melting it cut 80 percent of it away and in less then a week has almost healed and is growing new growth

It will have some recession after a tank move cuz it'll have to grow new polyps due to the flow change and change branch direction this is normal just cut away the skeleton once a week or so and give it time

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonians are one of the few that while don't like can handel direct output from a power head

Neither wants or need this amount but gives you an idea of flow requirements

They have a hard time getting rid of the waxy shed without the flow and suffocate

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also lastly spot feed it regularly with a finly Chooed and minced meat type product

Mine get
krill
Brine
But it's favorit is mysis loves the stuff will catch entire mysis shrimp and slowly eat them its hilarious waiting a tiny polyp eat somthing 10 tomes it's size wheres the food go lol

It also like reef roids but finely chiped mysis it loves and I always has a growth spurt right after eating

Once the polyps are out turn off all glow and use a baster to let it rain food on top of it let it eat then turn flow back on takes about 30 min total I spot feed once a week enless it's healing from injury then I feed every day

And honestly the one I have I one of 4 branches from the main that went to a larger tank in 2 years it grew 4 tree size cuttings and the main was still huge love gorgonians so much so easy to bonsai

OP
OP
E

ecossebear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much everyone for the great advice! I have moved him to a place of good flow and light and will not move again for a few weeks in the hope that will make him open up! I blasted him with my cleaning power head (I keep one to blast rocks/corals etc when doing a WC).

I have taken another photo today as the lights are coming up.
0BCD166D-3D81-415B-863B-F7CDD0B5CB48.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back