E5 led/T5 lighting

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered one bulb. I will replace all mine 1 at a time. The notion of not having to swap them out every 6 months is with the investment to me.
Exactly, same here.. Just not wanting to replace them, as that's another thing I have to keep track of.. For sure with you 200%..

Euroquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goofy question.. This is actually on shipping from marine Depot.. With these bulbs, I haven't seen any movement from ups since the 17th. Did you guys have constant movement with your shipment? Or did they just all of appear?
As far as we know they are in stock and shipping. They actually got a second batch here this week as far as I know. Did you call them?

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as we know they are in stock and shipping. They actually got a second batch here this week as far as I know. Did you call them?
Yes, I did yesterday because it looks odd for ups. The only thing showing is that initial label made.. They (marine depot) advised that it had been shipped on the 17th.. Is just very strange for ups to show no updates at all..

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I did yesterday because it looks odd for ups. The only thing showing is that initial label made.. They (marine depot) advised that it had been shipped on the 17th.. Is just very strange for ups to show no updates at all..
Call UPS, I had no movement on a amazon package...UPS had lost it, they make you give them a week to find it before they will reimburse you so I'd call sooner than later

erichatesmice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I posted this on another forum but I could mention it here.

I have a Sunpower 3 Blue Pop, 1 Blue Plus, 1 Fiji Purple, 1 Coral Plus, and 1 Reefbrite XHO Strip. The Blue Pop is definitely not as bright as the Reefbrite. Previously with my 6-bulb setup at 100%, there is absolutely no shimmer from the Reefbrite, the T5 overpowered it. With 3 Blue Pops, I get considerable shimmer from the Reefbrites, which leads me to assume that they are not strong enough to mask the effect. That said, I LOVE the color, and I'm pretty sure I won't have to worry about frying my corals. With 3 other T5 bulbs and Reefbrite, I should still have enough PAR.

I'm having annoying problems with dimming these bulbs on a Sunpower below 10%. At 10% they just shut off randomly, after which they will not turn back on unless I manually shut the entire Sunpower unit off. Sunpower doesn't let you immediately turn on the fixture to 10% or more ... you have to ramp it up from 0%, so right now I have to manually turn off/on the fixture once in the morning.

Here's a pic of my light:
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii165/erichatesmice/Untitled-1_1.jpg~original

Last edited:

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call UPS, I had no movement on a amazon package...UPS had lost it, they make you give them a week to find it before they will reimburse you so I'd call sooner than later
Yes, that is my next move.. I don't know what it is with these shippers lately. For me, they have been losing packages left and right.. Ugh.. I will try on Monday since they aren't open on Sundays..

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for @Euroquatics ...

How does this E5 do in regards to UV? Rough estimate is fine. I was watching something where Mike Palletta was having issues with LEDs - mainly, the acans and some other LPS began after about four months to change color and peel off the skeleton , acros lasted a few months, then suddenly died...that kind of thing. It just hit me that it it might be an issue with insufficient UV light from the LEDs.

Euroquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the current spectral charts we've provided there is no UV in the current E5 lamps. UV is a bit costly in LED and if not managed right, there is a reduced like.
BUT, we're always working on new things! ;)

MikeyAl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for @Euroquatics ...

How does this E5 do in regards to UV? Rough estimate is fine. I was watching something where Mike Palletta was having issues with LEDs - mainly, the acans and some other LPS began after about four months to change color and peel off the skeleton , acros lasted a few months, then suddenly died...that kind of thing. It just hit me that it it might be an issue with insufficient UV light from the LEDs.

Sorry- this probably a dumb question- I know next to nothing here. Are you suggesting that the E5 will not give me the same results as my T5 bulbs as it relates to the health of my corals?

ChrisAndJulie2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goofy question.. This is actually on shipping from marine Depot.. With these bulbs, I haven't seen any movement from ups since the 17th. Did you guys have constant movement with your shipment? Or did they just all of appear?

Mine came from California, and they were shipped free ground so about a week I had them in Memphis. I would call Marine Depot, they may have gotten "lost".

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came from California, and they were shipped free ground so about a week I had them in Memphis. I would call Marine Depot, they may have gotten "lost".
Yes, I'm bummed. Ups said they never actually recieved the shipment. So I will call MD tomorrow first thing.. But im bummed because they are probably going to try and make me wait another week in shipping.. It sucks..
If you look at the current spectral charts we've provided there is no UV in the current E5 lamps. UV is a bit costly in LED and if not managed right, there is a reduced like.
BUT, we're always working on new things! ;)

Euroquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry- this probably a dumb question- I know next to nothing here. Are you suggesting that the E5 will not give me the same results as my T5 bulbs as it relates to the health of my corals?
The only thing missing currently from the E5 is the UV. We cover the complete rest of the spectrum VERY well and your coral should LOVE it! ;) The great thing is you can mix and match E5 and T5 so you can fill in that missing UV and still save power and you wont have to replace the E5s like you do the T5 lamps. We get this result because we don't mix and match LEDs we have custom designed the phosphor the actual LED (no other LED company is doing this level of R&D and actually developing LEDs at this level). While we don't make the LED die, we do design and have the LEDs custom built for us based on our spectral targets/goals.

SO short answer - you should have no issues growing great coral!

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have some results of the E5 spectrum and how it shifts over time? It would be nice to see if your claims are true, even better when a 3rd party gets to test these.

Euroquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have some results of the E5 spectrum and how it shifts over time? It would be nice to see if your claims are true, even better when a 3rd party gets to test these.

We' shown that the lamp life is 5-8 years (depending on daily hours). The spectrum can shift VERY slightly over that time but nothing like T5 lamps! And the 5-8 year life span is based more on out put level than spectrum. The 8 year life is based on data on proven LED L70 levels and comparing them to manufactures T5 swap out period. The phosphor application and mixing process and specific phosphors we use have rated life that we also used to determine the conservative life of the product. We also back it the product with a 3 year warranty and we're backed by our parent company Gavita! And we based our spectrums on full spectrum needs and you'll get the best spectral integrity in this form factor as well as product life.

However, we haven't sit on the product for 8 years testing as the data and science is well proven.

No doubt you'll see long-term field testing over the years, and we're constantly testing and running products to insure the highest quality in manufacturing and design (as does any reputable company that's been around for 30 years - Gavita)

Hope that answers your question.

DeeBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having annoying problems with dimming these bulbs on a Sunpower below 10%. At 10% they just shut off randomly, after which they will not turn back on unless I manually shut the entire Sunpower unit off. Sunpower doesn't let you immediately turn on the fixture to 10% or more ... you have to ramp it up from 0%, so right now I have to manually turn off/on the fixture once in the morning.

So it isn't just me having dimming issues with these in a Sunpower fixture, interesting. I posted this a while back - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/e5-quirk-issue-with-ati-dimmable.232680/

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never a dumb question when it comes to the care of the creatures you've accepted responsibility for.

Honestly, I don't know. You can look up the YouTube videos under the name Mike Paletta's LED experiment. He noted that Sanjay Joshi was having the same issues with his LEDs, and neither knew why. It's just a suspicion I have that lack of UV may be to blame. I am noting that the popular but expensive Ecotech Radion fixtures do not appear to cause this issue. I have yet to investigate whether that one provides UV, and how much.

Euroquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never a dumb question when it comes to the care of the creatures you've accepted responsibility for.

Honestly, I don't know. You can look up the YouTube videos under the name Mike Paletta's LED experiment. He noted that Sanjay Joshi was having the same issues with his LEDs, and neither knew why. It's just a suspicion I have that lack of UV may be to blame...

Our high-power fixtures (Angel) have UV and as mentioned we're always working on new things! ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back