Easiest Most Profitable Coral (Frag Tank)

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I just got an Arizona Sunburst Myself at RAPNY... I didn't find a decent price Colorado.

Anyway, how often you spot feed if you don't mind me asking?
there was two CSBs being told for 400 at RAPNY. pretty y reasonable seeing most places sell them 500+. even reefers here have sold for 350&+shipping.

anyway, i would definitely say zoas, high end mushrooms, and anemones are a good start.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
there was two CSBs being told for 400 at RAPNY. pretty y reasonable seeing most places sell them 500+. even reefers here have sold for 350&+shipping.

anyway, i would definitely say zoas, high end mushrooms, and anemones are a good start.
Do you remember the vendors by any chance?

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had a frag tank for 12 months so I consider myself new to the hobby. I started growing and cutting rainbow BTAs, then black widows, then got a Colorado Sunburst. I feed them and cut a few nems every 6 weeks or so. I now have 8 CSBs in my tank that I can split and sell to a LFS at a wholesale price. I've already made enough $ (store credit) to buy a brand new Waterbed 110.4 DX. In 3 months I can have 32 CSBs growing and, at full retail, that's more than $20K. I did take my time setting up my frag tank, I didn't rush it. I listened and read from many of our peers on these forums, thanks BTW.
E7327B9D-153B-4066-87FE-82F09C09DB0B.jpeg
Do you just keep them in a bin in your frag tank like you would mushrooms? Would love to know more about your fragging setup

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
might have been booths 314, or 613… having trouble remembering which booth. they were two guys, presumably a son and father. they mostly had mushrooms(notably some JBs, OGs, frankenstein/mrs. frankenstein). they had a chicago sb and a bigger colorado sb

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might have been booths 314, or 613… having trouble remembering which booth. they were two guys, presumably a son and father. they mostly had mushrooms(notably some JBs, OGs, frankenstein/mrs. frankenstein). they had a chicago sb and a bigger colorado sb
What it David's Aquariums? I remember them having a bunch of nice nems

20220625_171449.jpg

Reefjockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find out what your LFS would want/need.

Back in the day I grew xenia like a weed, probably made $300 store credit, but there were times that the LFS didn't want any....like in the summer. Then it seemed all the local reefers had graduated to higher end corals and I rarely see xenia for sale locally.
Agreed. Have a similar story with my toadstool leathers. Only about half that in store credit.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask the LFS what they want/need and plan on that, but variety is going to be key. Theres only so much xenis or zoas of a single variety an LFS can sell before the market is saturated.

I have 50+ frags of kryptonite candy cane coral sitting in my frag tank beause the market is saturated with them around me. I try to sell 3-4 heads for $10 and I get no one.

Zoas move pretty good. Anything with a verifiable name goes quickly. Utter chaos seem to be in short supply around me. I have some of the higher end ones, but there's no takers right now.

The LFS if they're offering store credit are going to low ball you. Know this going in. I sell gsp, xenia, and no name zoas for $10ea to my lfs. I let the credit build and I'll get them to order me some fish, or colonies of random zoas from their supplier.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Basically anything "high end" will always be in demand. I've got a variety of high end corals from mushrooms to acros that I bought not only because I liked them, but also to sell/trade later on. I've been successful growing pretty much all of them (but I've been an avid reef hobbyist for nearly 20 years) but every system is different and some corals will inevitably ly always grow better than others. For me, it's jawbreaker mushrooms. I bought around 15 of them from a member here roughly 8 or 9 months ago. I now have approximately 100 of them... they grow EXTREMELY well for me. I haven't started trying to sell any just yet but may do so relatively soon. Certain strains of zoas have exploded in growth for me as well, "awesome blossoms" in particular. I got a 2 polyp frag around the same time that I got the jawbreakers and now have well over 100 polyps.

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your experience, what is an extremely easy beginner, fast growing coral for a frag tank? I was going to set up my first saltwater tank, a frag tank, and maybe break even selling some extra frags to my LFS.
Hello!

Some great Corals to start with would be Zoanthids,Mushrooms,Most all Softy corals and Cyphastrea. If you have any other questions you can always reach out to us.

-Keith

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Basically anything "high end" will always be in demand. I've got a variety of high end corals from mushrooms to acros that I bought not only because I liked them, but also to sell/trade later on. I've been successful growing pretty much all of them (but I've been an avid reef hobbyist for nearly 20 years) but every system is different and some corals will inevitably ly always grow better than others. For me, it's jawbreaker mushrooms. I bought around 15 of them from a member here roughly 8 or 9 months ago. I now have approximately 100 of them... they grow EXTREMELY well for me. I haven't started trying to sell any just yet but may do so relatively soon. Certain strains of zoas have exploded in growth for me as well, "awesome blossoms" in particular. I got a 2 polyp frag around the same time that I got the jawbreakers and now have well over 100 polyps.
What?! What do you do for your mushrooms?? I've LOST jawbreaker since I started?!

Randy’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A TRUE CC24k holy grail torch , I bought one head for 3k , , over a year it grew into 8 heads , and I already made over 8k on it

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A TRUE CC24k holy grail torch , I bought one head for 3k , , over a year it grew into 8 heads , and I already made over 8k on it
Were you the guy selling a single for $1600? When you sell do you provide proof of lineage? The CC24k > ASD which is lights years better than TSA which honestly look like the $400 wilds going around IMO of course

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back