East Coast Hummers are Coming!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, if you're south of me, they have already arrived. I'm talking about the only humming bird we have on the east coast....the Ruby Throated hummingbird. The site I usually use to track their return is no longer available....but I found another HERE. According to this map, today (4/8) there was a single siting in Mass. Most are still south of New Jersey. I went to make up fresh sugar water and we have none! I'm making my masked run to the grocery store tomorrow and that will be on the list.....hoping that hasn't been one of the products people are binge buying.

GET YOUR FEEDS OUT THERE!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love when the hummingbirds come out, they are a BLAST to watch. They aren't out yet, or I haven't seen them yet in GA.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Billldg get your feeder out there NOW! They stampeded through Georgia in early March. I'm surprised you didn't hear their thunderous hum as they came through! :oops::rolleyes:

Humming Birds 04082020.png

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually don't see them until my myrtles start to blossom. We just started to get everything to start to bloom.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I need to get the feeders up.
_MG_0286%20-%20Copy-X3.jpg

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not going to lie, I thought you were talking about the new GMC Hummer
2022-gmc-hummer-suv-mmp1-1583350259.jpg

Not going to lie, and you're most likely too young, but the real Hummer became extinct in 1998 when GMC purchased the name and fufu'ed it up. It's not even close to the original manly man's Humvee, pre 98. That looks like a beefy Chevy Blazer.....ppbbbbbbt! You know what @PaulB would call that vehicle?

In a real Hummer, you're not going to play kissy face with your honey, because she was four feet away.....

M143848578.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a couple Rufus at my feeders lately.
The resident Anna's are ticked off.

I am envious of you west coasters. Not sure what you see up in Washington, but we visit San Diego and found ten plus different hummingbirds there.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am envious of you west coasters. Not sure what you see up in Washington, but we visit San Diego and found ten plus different hummingbirds there.
At my house I see Annas year round.( even in the winter time with snow on the ground). In the spring I usually only see an occasional Rufus.
I have 3 feeders spread out about 75' apart in my yard and the male Annas keep pretty close watch on them.
We may have others pass through, But not very often.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was able to buy sugar today and get one feeder out there. I'm sure they are coming through on there way up north. Today's map:

Humming Birds 04092020.png

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hummingbirds can be mean little birds! I have 3 big feeders out back and one red/brown one (have no idea of species) fights with all the others and claimed all 3 as his own! Hes literally sits in a Bush nearby and chases any that get close. Chases them well into the next yard over. That little bugger

Usually some will just flare and make a lot of noise to scare off others, this one makes contact!

We have alot in southern California, almost all year round...

Hers the little alpha male
20200329_150946.jpg 20200329_150935.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! I can't comment on other varieties, but Ruby Throated are highly territorial. Similarly, one will sit up in a nearby tree and dive-bomb any other hummer that comes to the feeder, and typically buzz off in pursuit to chase him off.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yep! I can't comment on other varieties, but Ruby Throated are highly territorial. Similarly, one will sit up in a nearby tree and dive-bomb any other hummer that comes to the feeder, and typically buzz off in pursuit to chase him off.
Our Annas will dive bomb competitors too.
These guys will fly up 50'-60' in the air and dive straight down at the tops of the other birds heads and at the last moment pull straight back up. And while at the lowest point in the bombing run they make chirp.
It's loud enough to hear in the house so we know when there is a competition going on outside.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, hummingbird are mean little creatures. They dive bomb us if we are near the feeders. I'm in North Idaho so no Hummers yet but weather is warming so may they are starting to fly north. Might put a feeder out and see.

And I agree about the Hummer truck, once Chevy took a Tahoe chassis and slapped an ugly body on it, done for.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's funny about hummingbirds is. In Wisconsin there was a restaurant that had hundreds, if not thousands of hummingbird all sharing feeders during the summer. Yet my experience is you can't get more than 2 at 1 feeder without a chase. Restaurant was a ways up a river from lake wisota

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back