Easter Bunny Chalice?

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received this beautiful chalice from a guy on eBay. It was labeled as an "Easter Bunny" chalice. Of course there are all made up names for these things so I didn't expect to find much information on this particular variety ( which I didn't, LOL)
My question is has anyone seen anything like this? It is absolutely gorgeous. I honestly don't have room for it, but didn't realize that it was such a large piece! (3.5" diameter)
There is Coralline present on the disc that it is on. But the only way for me to place it on my stone work would be to remove it.
Any suggestions? :)

20221129_192147.jpg 20221129_192156.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been watching this thread as if I use my imagination (since photo has a blue light and no orange filter) this coral seems exactly like a coral someone was selling at Reef-A-Palooza Texas. My imagination says those are Easter Egg like colors around the pink dots, but it just seems pink and purple on my monitor looking at above.

If this matches that coral, it was outside my comfortable price range and since occasionally my nitrates spike I didn't want to risk $$$$ only for it to go white. Typically I take a photo when something touches my heart with so much desire... but checking my phone no photo - guess the money was deal breaker in my situation.

Glad for you.

FYI: I always prefer removing corals from frag plug/disk after dipping to cut down on pests, but it already seems IN tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pelagikos

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been watching this thread as if I use my imagination (since photo has a blue light and no orange filter) this coral seems exactly like a coral someone was selling at Reef-A-Palooza Texas. My imagination says those are Easter Egg like colors around the pink dots, but it just seems pink and purple on my monitor looking at above.

If this matches that coral, it was outside my comfortable price range and since occasionally my nitrates spike I didn't want to risk $$$$ only for it to go white. Typically I take a photo when something touches my heart with so much desire... but checking my phone no photo - guess the money was deal breaker in my situation.

Glad for you.

FYI: I always prefer removing corals from frag plug/disk after dipping to cut down on pests, but it already seems IN tank.
Very interesting! It was actually in white light when I took the photo but there was no filter I'll be glad to post one!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pelagikos

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glad for you.

There is some "yellowish" coloration present.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pelagikos

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glad for you.

Here are some better pics :)

Attachments

• 20221202_142110.jpg
    20221202_142110.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20221202_142133.jpg
    20221202_142133.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I FOUND IT Echinomorpha nishihirai
Thanks Jake! RIP
No it‘s not Echinomorpha. Most of the echinomorpha (and most other corals) on Reef Builders, have been misidientified, and are actually something more like Echinophyllia tarae. Echinomorpha has only a very few very large polyps, and has a flesh texture similar to that of (true) Acanthastrea, like this:
1679285360983.jpeg

I would say your coral is either an Oxypora or Echinophyllia.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pelagikos

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it‘s not Echinomorpha. Most of the echinomorpha (and most other corals) on Reef Builders, have been misidientified, and are actually something more like Echinophyllia tarae. Echinomorpha has only a very few very large polyps, and has a flesh texture similar to that of (true) Acanthastrea, like this:
1679285360983.jpeg

I would say your coral is either an Oxypora or Echinophyllia.
Well darn. It's not super thin, like what I'm reading about Oypora but closely resembles it. Echinophyllia have a few "named" varieties that are identical in texture and corallite spacing. Ahhh well, the search continues...

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back