Easy, low light, low flow soft coral questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Levinson
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
The best way to keep the tank clean of any possible toxins the corals put into the water column is to throw a bag of carbon in the tank. All corals have some form of toxin, especially leather corals.
 
I didnt have much carbon in the tank and the tank was also small
 
Greetings,
I'm thinking of adding my first ever coral to my 29 gallon tank in the future. The current residents of the tanks are many pods, some tiny worms, two sexy shrimps (the largest residents of the tank at the moment), and some other tiny critters you can bearly see.

I've read the following soft corals were being recommended often for the beginners.
- zoanthids
- mushrooms
- star polyps
- duncun
- leathers

Some noob/dumb questions if I may.
1. Which one would you say are the easiest to keep in low flow, low light environment?
I'm hoping to find a cheap, small, hardy, easy soft coral that I could just put it into the tank and care for the least in low light, low flow environment. Is there such a thing?

2. Are zoanthids the same as buttons? Where I live, it seems the word 'zoanthids' or 'zoas' doesn't seem to be used at the LFS but many did have buttons. Since I can't tell them apart, I wasn't sure if this was because they don't have any zoanthids here (which I doubt) or due to the difference in the language and they are called something else here or if they fall under the same category.

3. There was a thing I heard about zoanthids being dangerous due to it being toxic, is that something to be wary of?

4. Would any of them be ok directly under the light in low flow environment?

5. Do the soft corals have any calcium, magnesium or trace element uptake that should be cared for?
Buttons are zoas. in my system some zoas need more light than others.

Grande Palys are easy. paly toxin if that is a concern. it isn't to me and I have 3 different types reproducing.
Palytoxin can be a concern if you are fragging. or if you boil live rock that has zoas/palys.

Mushrooms grow in high light through low light & high flow through low flow.

Green Star Polyps (GSP) are easy. grow crazy, like could be a issue crazy.

Duncans are LPS corals.

Leathers are the same as mushrooms as far as lighting and flow.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new