Easy way to add a Clarisea SK-5000 to your Reefer 750 XXL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find a single thread of someone that has already done this.

I think this install turned out pretty near perfect. The Clarisea hangs on the sump right by where the return line comes down and that pipe goes straight into the Clarisea.

1. Empty the water from your sump
2. Use a blade and cut out the silicone to remove the filter sock holders
3. Remove your return line pipe
4. Install a 32mm metric to 1" standard PVC adapter to the bottom of the Red Sea valve. To do this you need to cut the piping off at the bottom of the valve, buy a piece of metal pipe that fits into the tubing, heat it really hot with a torch then stick it into the pipe for about a minute to release the PVC glue. Once the pipe is soft use a pliers to remove it. Then install the 32mm to 1" adapter in it's place.
5. Plumb the Clarisea to the return line. I used a 2.5" piece of 1" PVC into a union fitting that I glued to the Clarisea 90 degree elbow. You'll need to add that last 2.5" piece and lift the Clarisea onto the hanger at the same time trying to get that little piece of pipe snug (but not glued)
Done and the install is extremely clean.

IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up on this! Since you’ve been using this, how frequently have you had to change the roll?

I have the theiling compact roller mat and while I like it, the higher flow through it has me putting on a new roll every 2weeks.

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up on this! Since you’ve been using this, how frequently have you had to change the roll?

I have the theiling compact roller mat and while I like it, the higher flow through it has me putting on a new roll every 2weeks.

I'm looking to install a rollermat on my 750, and cannot decide between the Theiling Compact or Clarisea SK-5000. Are you still changing the rolls every two weeks? Did you ever find out how often rolls are being changed on the SK-5000?

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to install a rollermat on my 750, and cannot decide between the Theiling Compact or Clarisea SK-5000. Are you still changing the rolls every two weeks? Did you ever find out how often rolls are being changed on the SK-5000?

Yes - About every 2 weeks for me. With lower flow I was able to extend it closer to 3. I've heard that others get significantly higher time frames then what I'm seeing. My sump is also in my basement, resulting in a 10+ ft drop before water gets into it. This causes a higher water level inside the roller mat chamber which triggers the float switch to move the roll forward. I wouldn't recommend this for someone with a basement sump.

I did not find out anything about the SK-5000. Also right now I took my rollermat off line just to monitor how the tank does without out. The tank was getting too clean starving out my corals. I also noticed that Theiling might have reduced the size of their roller replacements as the overall diameter looks about 1" smaller. Its like they went from quilted northern to cheap old government brand paper. Its possible they changed the material from a felt to more paper like material, but either way it sort of struck me as odd. I have yet to try using one of the new versions so cannot comment on them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had to change the fleece on my SK-5000 about once a month. If you keep it higher in the sump I think the flow is stronger and the fleece advances less.

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance it would be possible to install the SK-5000 without removing the filter sock/media basket holders? Or maybe the SK-3000? Maybe by rotating it 90 degrees and piping modification?

Iinux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4. Install a 32mm metric to 1" standard PVC adapter to the bottom of the Red Sea valve. To do this you need to cut the piping off at the bottom of the valve, buy a piece of metal pipe that fits into the tubing, heat it really hot with a torch then stick it into the pipe for about a minute to release the PVC glue. Once the pipe is soft use a pliers to remove it. Then install the 32mm to 1" adapter in it's place.
5. Plumb the Clarisea to the return line. I used a 2.5" piece of 1" PVC into a union fitting that I glued to the Clarisea 90 degree elbow. You'll need to add that last 2.5" piece and lift the Clarisea onto the hanger at the same time trying to get that little piece of pipe snug (but not glued)

I JUST purchased this as well. But I am a little lost on this part. Are you saying remove the entire bottom piping of the redsea valve and replace it with the adaptor? Also is this the adaptor you are saying I need?

EDIT : Removing URL. But I just googled and found a BRS link.
300xxx_pipeadapter6shot-1200x1200.jpg

Also did you ever end up gluing the 2.5" in of 1" PVC to the union?

Thank you so much for this! This will be my project this weekend!

Michael Guerin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think this install turned out pretty near perfect. The Clarisea hangs on the sump right by where the return line comes down and that pipe goes straight into the Clarisea.

IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG
A little late on this, but it looks like the clarisea is plumbed to the overflow pipe and not main. Wouldn't this limit the amount of water passing through?

Iinux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And not main?
You want it to come in through your overflow. As far as it limiting water, that's why the tank has an emergency overflow. I've been running mine almost this exact same setup for about a year now without any issues.

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You consider this easy?

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - About every 2 weeks for me. With lower flow I was able to extend it closer to 3. I've heard that others get significantly higher time frames then what I'm seeing. My sump is also in my basement, resulting in a 10+ ft drop before water gets into it. This causes a higher water level inside the roller mat chamber which triggers the float switch to move the roll forward. I wouldn't recommend this for someone with a basement sump.

I did not find out anything about the SK-5000. Also right now I took my rollermat off line just to monitor how the tank does without out. The tank was getting too clean starving out my corals. I also noticed that Theiling might have reduced the size of their roller replacements as the overall diameter looks about 1" smaller. Its like they went from quilted northern to cheap old government brand paper. Its possible they changed the material from a felt to more paper like material, but either way it sort of struck me as odd. I have yet to try using one of the new versions so cannot comment on them.

Exactly the reason I got an X-Filter, I change my roll every 2-3 months. Every 2 weeks sounds like a freaking nightmare

Iinux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and the same filter, i change out my filter MAYBE every month and a half. I have a union pvc piece on mine. Takes about 2 minutes to swap it out, gives me a reason to take a good look in the sump too

Mountain Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the Clarisea on my Red Sea 900. I started to remove the filter sock holder compartment as has been described, but way too much work for me. So I installed it directly into the sump. Works great. Still plenty of room in sump for the rest of my equipment.
IMG_2470.jpeg

matan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about the flow rate
the limit of clarisea 5000 is 5000LPH
i have a vectra l1 pump so i think if it wiil do a good work or i will lose flow rate to much
on red sea 750

what do you think??

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back