Eating Up RO Membranes

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pre filter... what? I'm in the dark here fellas. Edumicate me
I'm guessing the Mrs won't want another "water thingy" hanging with all the others, but if you can swing it not a bad investment.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that just a sieve style pre filter, doesn't look like a typical spin down after opening the image
Its a inline pre filter before pump about the size of a golf ball. Filters out things 150 +/- microns. That way blocks anything that will damage your pump, but lets finer stuff through to other sediment filters. Good way to save your pump life and flow rates.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since no one has mentioned it yet I will. (Yes I read all 13 pages). Chloramines probably wouldn’t show up on your pool test strips since the chlorine is bound to an ammonia molecule.
Good luck, I hope it all works :)

Chloramines were mentioned on page one and the OP said they asked their water company and was told the water only contained chlorine, that was on page two ;)

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many different brands of spin filters. But definitely recommend if you have visible sand in your water. They are not that big. Much smaller than a canister.
F_34_250.jpg

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water supply newsletter is on page 13 and shows the treatment and amounts
Thanks for the input
Can you check the temp of your cold tap water now? both right at the beginning and then after a few minutes of running?

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note: it’s been cloudy and raining for the last couple hours
Thanks. I was actually hoping the water temp would be like 85+ so we could definitively conclude its the water temp! I don't know how much a few degrees above 77 will reduce the rejection rate.

But that is still the most likely suspect.

If it is indeed the water temp, someone else in hot areas must have encountered this before too.

I think we will just have to see how the new unit performs when it comes... the suspense!

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was actually hoping the water temp would be like 85+ so we could definitively conclude its the water temp! I don't know how much a few degrees above 77 will reduce the rejection rate.

But that is still the most likely suspect.

If it is indeed the water temp, someone else in hot areas must have encountered this before too.

I think we will just have to see how the new unit performs when it comes... the suspense!
We can have a RO/DI party!
Order Pizza and do a live broadcast!
Hahaha!
For the record, Marine Depot just sent me the ship confirmation and it’s saying next Monday for arrival.
Never had anything from them take more than two or three days.
Keeping my fingers crossed

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many different brands of spin filters. But definitely recommend if you have visible sand in your water. They are not that big. Much smaller than a canister.
F_34_250.jpg
And it'll no doubt pay for itself and then some as far as reducing the amount of normal sediment cartridges you would go through
I don't know if I would put that much restriction before pump. You could burn it out.

Before I forget, I don't know exactly what booster pump is coming on the new unit you ordered, but it should state a minimum operating pressure so as long as you are above that with the filters then no worries. If you can't reach the minimum you will need to increase the filtration size (instead of an absolute 0.2 try 0.5 micron) in order to hit your minimum operating pressure, or eliminate the second sediment all together and stick to a single 1 micron sediment.

Either way I will help you figure it one when that unit arrives next week. Just didn't want to forget to mention this!

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EF19BC2E-F962-4F37-9CE9-6AC9E61A26A1.jpeg

Oh Yeah!!!
Never been so happy to see a water filter.
My girls think I’m crazy
They say I have two in storage closet (refrigerator filters)
Hateful creatures
They just don’t understand

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back