Eclipse Overflow and drilling advice needed.

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by samnaz, Sep 24, 2017.

1. samnaz

samnaz Earthling R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I'm about to install an Eshopps Eclipse S Overflow and a 3/4" Return kit from Glass-Holes, on a rimless 30L.

It should look something like this:
    30L_Left_Overflow.jpg

A few things I want to make sure about before I drill...

Placement of the Eclipse Overflow internal box, and drilling template - Should the top of the internal box and template be flush with the top rim of the tank? Or an inch below? I can't find any info or photos of this overflow installed on a rimless tank. The instructions do not specify. I've never had a rimless tank, or an overflow, and I'm unsure what the water level should be exactly.

Placement for the Return/drilling template - Should this template also be flush with the top rim? Or should the return hole be level with the overflow hole? What would the most ideal location for the return be in my case?

2. Big G

Big G captain dunsel R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Eshopps has a video on a rimless tank install:

The return hole needs to be at least 1 1/2 times the diameter of the hole you are drilling from the top of the tank edge. Some say 2 times the diameter. If you are going to be using Loc-line, you can adjust the nozzle up and down anyway. So giving yourself a good margin of error is a good thing. Problems happen when people drill too close to the edge and it cracks.

mfinn likes this.
  3. samnaz

I've seen that but it says nothing about where to place the template and water level.

Looking at photos of overflows on rimless tanks, it seems a lot of the boxes are 1/2" to 1" below the top rim of the tank. Some boxes are level with the top rim, as demonstrated in the video.

4. Big G

Big G captain dunsel R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

My understanding is that the Eclipse is designed specifically for rimless tanks. I used it, even though, on my rimmed tank. The water level is about midway up the slots on the weir. I assume the included drilling template is designed to be as high up as possible without weakening the tank wall by drilling to close to the top edge. This would be especially true with tanks thinner than 1/2" glass and its equivalent in acrylic. Cracking a tank is bad and expensive.

samnaz and Reefrookie220 like this.
  5. Reefrookie220

Reefrookie220 Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

The point of the template being flush with the top of the tank is twofold,

It puts the hole at a safe distance from the edges of the glass, and sets the overflow box at the height required for a desirable water level in the tank

So your answer would be, put the template as shown in the video, flush with the top of the glass.

Otherwise you will have a lower water level and it will always look like it needs topped off.

samnaz and Big G like this.
  6. samnaz

Thank you both for clearing that up. Flush with the top of the tank it is.

Any recommendations on return placement?

Draft saved Draft deleted