Ecosmart flea spray and reef tank

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about getting my house treated for fleas. It’s a really bad infestation for my dog and me. The company I’m considering uses ecosmart which is supposed to be pet friendly. It’s a combo of different plant oils plus an active ingredient. If I wrap the tanks in plastic and tape it up, do hay think it’ll be okay? Will need to leave the house for 4 hours. Thanks!

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about the comparative oxygen demand for a reef, but I wrapped both my freshwater tanks with plastic for a few hours before when there was some construction (dusty!) in that room; both were fine. I know people talk about running an airpump from outside through a window into the wrapped tank to add fresh air/oxygen.

Can you ask the pest company? They might have experience with other customers' aquariums and what precautions to take.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a freshwater tank as a kid, that was wiped out when the exterminator came to spray.
The next time the company had us shut off the air pump and put towels over the tank.

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The company recommended to turn off pumps and it would be fine from their prior experiences with other clients. I was thinking I could run some air pumps into the plastic to create positive pressure. Anyone else have experience?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more concerned about the chemicals than about the air. Four hours is not that long.

It’s a combo of different plant oils plus an active ingredient

I have no idea whatsoever what that means. The "active ingredient" could be pretty much anything. Plant oils may or may not be safe. Presumably whatever this is kills fleas and humans should not be exposed for at least 4 hours..... So whether they name it "eco" or talk about natural plant oils it clearly can kill some stuff. Nothing about this would convince me this is worth the risk to my tank unless I was confident I could keep it completely sealed.

If I had to get the treatment done I would use appropriate plastic and seal it completely as well as the entire sump(or if feasible the cabinet the sump may be in).

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously doubt that this stuff has much activity against fleas but it may not be good for your reef. I would not take the chance.

I assume you have carpets in your home where the fleas are living. Sprinkle diatomaceous earth liberally around the carpet, brush it in well with a broom. Wear a mask and don't breathe the stuff - small particles are not good for lungs (yours or dog's). Put mothballs in your vacuum cleaner bag. Vacuum up the diatomaceous earth. Repeat at least weekly. Fleas will be gone before long. Mothballs will kill fleas that get vacuumed up waithood bothering anything. However, you need some sort of treatment for your dog so that the fleas stay gone. Talk with your vet.

Best solution is to get rid of the carpets in favor of tile or wood floors (but that is a big job).

Fat_ Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about getting my house treated for fleas. It’s a really bad infestation for my dog and me. The company I’m considering uses ecosmart which is supposed to be pet friendly. It’s a combo of different plant oils plus an active ingredient. If I wrap the tanks in plastic and tape it up, do hay think it’ll be okay? Will need to leave the house for 4 hours. Thanks!
We had a flee infestation at our house years ago. The best way to get rid of the infestation was to treat the dogs with Comfortis ( flea medication). It is a pill and it is the best stuff on the market you can see the fleas start to fall off the pet in less then 30 minutes. Just let the dogs have free range of the house so fleas can feast and die. Within two days of treatment my house was almost rid of all fleas. A week later no fleas that I was aware of. I'm sure it doesn't kill the larva or eggs in the carpet but if you figure out the life cycle of the flea and keep the dog treated the whole time frame it will eventually eradicate all new fleas that morphed from larva to flea. And you won't need to use a spray that could harm you, your family or your tank. I would way the options it is probably way cheaper to go get vet visit and get the meds for 6 months, then to have the house treated and risk harming the tank and loosing thousands of dollars on corals and fish. Hope the info helps it worked for our home.

World Citizen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know flees don't jump from dogs to people, and can't live without the dog. Sure humans get bitten by them, but they won't feed on you.

I would buy the anti flee drips which you put in the neck of your dog, or the small pill they swallow. This way the flees stay of the dog and within a few weeks all the flees die.

The goal is to make your dog not a snack anymore. The pills and the drips do this.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP is in Glendale, CA where it never gets cold enough outside to kill fleas. In places where there is a real winter, treating the dog and vacuuming the home does a decent job of getting rid of fleas. Not so much in Southern California where any time your dog goes outside it will return with fleas to restart the cycle. Something stronger is required. The drips and pills have some degree of toxicity to the dog that must be considered...

World Citizen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP is in Glendale, CA where it never gets cold enough outside to kill fleas. In places where there is a real winter, treating the dog and vacuuming the home does a decent job of getting rid of fleas. Not so much in Southern California where any time your dog goes outside it will return with fleas to restart the cycle. Something stronger is required. The drips and pills have some degree of toxicity to the dog that must be considered...

Ah, I see. It's like treating Ich in the ocean.
Good catch.

Fat_ Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually The lifecycle of fleas can be very quick or last many months to years depending on the environmental conditions throughout the life stages. Cold winters and hot conditions don't harm the life cycles it just extends them. Depending on what part of the cycle the flea is in it can go dormant until conditions are favorable for the flea. Being too hot or too cold can effect the cycle but not kill them completely out. That's why you have to treat the dog multiple times to disrupt the new cycles of fleas. So they are unable to reproduce and restart the extended cycles again. I do agree with the meds being toxic to dogs. That's why I personally don't give it to my dogs monthly its normally every 6 months. And it's prescribed by a vet so you don't give a lethal dose. If I'm more worried about my coral tank getting contaminated by toxins at an uncontrolled rate. I would way my options. Personally I wouldn't spray anything around my tank I have to much money and time tide up in it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the thoughts everyone! We just did the flea spray inside our house (not the bomb). I covered the tanks with plastic sheets like you use for paint jobs, all sealed with masking tape to the walls and floor. Aired out the house for 2 hours after returning home. Did not run skimmer and have not turned it back on. Everything is kicking along as normal.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back