Ecotech radion g5 knock off found!

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem is the prices on these are still kind of high, it is closer to a xr15 at $465. Is chihiros a pretty good foreign producer like jebao? never heard of em is all
they are more in the planted scene. Their planted lights are rated very well. Easily better than their ADA counterparts

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what if it isn't really a knock-off so to speak. What if ecotech owns it and sells it cheaper with maybe inferior parts or something like that? Sort of like the Walmart bread as opposed to the national chain.......
hahaha

corey

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are more in the planted scene. Their planted lights are rated very well. Easily better than their ADA counterparts
could be very nice then, reefi uno seems to be the only other one comparable to the radion at that price point

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what if it isn't really a knock-off so to speak. What if ecotech owns it and sells it cheaper with maybe inferior parts or something like that? Sort of like the Walmart bread as opposed to the national chain.......
hahaha

corey
I didn't know WM got their bread from China.:D

Saltydog69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was assured by some dude that emailed me back by the name of Xi Jinping, that these are not knockoffs and superior to the G5's. :rolleyes:
i honestly wouldnt even doubt it man, i mean its not that hard to produce an good led light.. china already has most of the parts for the g5, we know that ecotech has marked thier lights up at least 50 percent. im honestly thinking of buying this light just to test it out for us all.. where can i buy it?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i honestly wouldnt even doubt it man, i mean its not that hard to produce an good led light.. china already has most of the parts for the g5, we know that ecotech has marked thier lights up at least 50 percent. im honestly thinking of buying this light just to test it out for us all.. where can i buy it?
Think the above link is actually their internet store.
Other than that this place:
https://aquarockscolorado.com/products/chihirosvivid2

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have not tried this one, but will say that I recently tried some of the knockoff kessil a360 from the same company and they appeared just as capable. Par numbers/spread were very similar to my kessil. I do not have the ability to test spectrum so I cant say anything to that other than it seemed similar as well (however the knockoffs come with wifi control without buying an extra piece of equipment like the kessil so for me they end up giving much better control of spectrum since with kessil I only have the knob control)
Is the app available in english?

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Kessil knockoff of that brand (they call themselves A+), the app/programming is horrible unless you understand Chinese.
On the pictures the app looks like it is English, but it works with a lot of popup messages and all these are Chinese.
The seller promised better English app-updates but never happened.
The light is in a drawer somewhere, can't use it because of the app.

Safe yourself a lot of trouble/money and go for the real deal.
Well are you interested in selling the one in your drawer? I may be interested in testing it.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often these"knockoffs" are built in the same plant with most of the same parts. They just do it on the side. Not sure where the G5 is built.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the price (not cheap) in my opinion they are probably good lights. Now if they were say $50 to $150 I would guess they are not that good.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol if you believe that. Businesses maximize margins and profits. Cheaper alternatives are a huge factor in that equation. If you dont think so tell me why as soon as a drug patent ends and competitors rush in the price of the name brand drops? Speaking of which i sure hope you follow the same approach with prescription drugs....always buy the original not the generic. Its important to support that community lol.
Your comparison with drug patents doesn’t really work. While there are a lot of problems with the way the patent system works, the reason why drug manufacturers are given patents in the first place is to be able to recoup the costs of R&D, testing, FDA approval, etc., massive costs that manufacturers of generic drugs don’t have. The other difference is that generic manufactures respect the patents and wait until they can legally make and sell a specific drug. Again, it’s not a perfect system, but without it there would be no new drugs or innovation. And the same is true of most products, the difference being that there are less protections, and some governments don’t respect or enforce copyright/patent/trademark laws. I do think that at this point, there isn’t an ethical dilemma in purchasing cheap LEDs (the companies that initially made LEDs viable for reefing have recouped their initial investments), but purchasing a budget LED fixture with an original design is very different than purchasing an outright knock-off.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 78.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back