Ecotech radion g5 knock off found!

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No I do not have any. Based this comment off what some radion fan boys have claimed as a bragging point. I am sure you have seen as many post by radion users as I have talking about how they won't buy any Chinese made light because of politics and then say how radions are made in the u.S.
So that is where I am gathering the info for that post!
Check your sources before bashing companies.

~15 min of this video to see the xr30 panels being built.

Radions are built in the USA. They buy in the chips, but boards up. They also had this equipment in their old facility.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your sources before bashing companies.

~15 min of this video to see the xr30 panels being built.

Radions are built in the USA. They buy in the chips, but boards up. They also had this equipment in their old facility.

Does the g5 package say made in the USA? Does the lights themselves say made in the USA? If not then they probably are not.

Things change all the time, just like who ownes ecotech did.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Does the g5 package say made in the USA? Does the lights themselves say made in the USA? If not then they probably are not.

Things change all the time, just like who ownes ecotech did.
It says it on the serial number sticker of the light
1651418746535.png

Same with Versa, Vectra and Vortechs.

Also Neptune products are built in San Jose, Ca. Neptune does not have the chip placing machines, that is outsourced to a local company. But they do the rest of the assembly. When the SKY came out there was a discussion that Phillips built it, but they showed footage of the people behind the scenes in a live stream.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says it on the serial number sticker of the light
1651418746535.png

Same with Versa, Vectra and Vortechs.

Also Neptune products are built in San Jose, Ca. Neptune does not have the chip placing machines, that is outsourced to a local company. But they do the rest of the assembly. When the SKY came out there was a discussion that Phillips built it, but they showed footage of the people behind the scenes in a live stream.
Do you have a clear picture? I believe it says copy write and Pennsylvania, but is very blurry

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Designed and Assembled in Pen. Ie, the parts are flown in.
So the knockoff is made in the factory all the real ones parts are manufactured.

Again the stuff wasn't stolen, instead another U.S company exported their manufacturing to China, to increase profits. And China used that intellectual data to produce not just the real products parts but also a copy, selling it for what is a reasonable price.

My opinion is they got what they deserved. Had they kept the manufacturing, of the entire product in the U.S., kept the jobs here, then there wouldn't be a copy out there under selling theirs!!

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So the knockoff is made in the factory all the real ones parts are manufactured.

Again the stuff wasn't stolen, instead another U.S company exported their manufacturing to China, to increase profits. And China used that intellectual data to produce not just the real products parts but also a copy, selling it for what is a reasonable price.

My opinion is they got what they deserved. Had they kept the manufacturing, of the entire product in the U.S., kept the jobs here, then there wouldn't be a copy out there under selling theirs!!
If you are going to make such claims please post your evidence.

Standard manufacturing process:
  • Engineers in Penn design the product
  • Purchasing goes out to find vendors
    • Case is made by an injection molding company
    • heatsink is made at an Aluminum foundry
    • bare circuit board is made by a board manufacturer
    • chips and leds come from respective component manufacturers (resistors, transistors, logic gates, etc)
    • Cable made by a cable manufacturer
    • Acrylic top by an acrylic company
    • Screws from a hardware company
  • Parts all come in
  • In house manufacturing (in Penn)
    • Boards are filled with chips and leds
    • US employees build up the units
  • R&D does follow up testing
  • Finished goods are packaged and shipped
Similar process for all of their products.

It is not economical for Ecotech to run injection molding equipment, an aluminum foundry and a chip manufacturing facility. They could bring in the tech to make the bare boards (perhaps that exists or they will in the future), but generally that requires some specialized chemical processes.

The "Chinese knockoff market" that you refer to is when a company outsources the full process to an external company. In the above process, the individual manufacturers are often from a global footprint (many may be local or in the US). None of the individuals know the other vendors. They also do not know what components go where on the boards.

Again, if you have evidence that they no longer manufacture in the US, please provide it. Do you have a news article about layoffs in their Pennsylvania facility? Ads where they are selling their chip placing equipment?

This knockoff is a classic example of a manufacturer in a country who does not recognize international IP/ brand identity. Often times they have a similar external look, but the internal components are garbage. The internal design often skips standard protection protocols making them fire and electrical hazards. They have no UL or CE certifications and are often imported as "novelty" items.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to make such claims please post your evidence.

Standard manufacturing process:
  • Engineers in Penn design the product
  • Purchasing goes out to find vendors
    • Case is made by an injection molding company
    • heatsink is made at an Aluminum foundry
    • bare circuit board is made by a board manufacturer
    • chips and leds come from respective component manufacturers (resistors, transistors, logic gates, etc)
    • Cable made by a cable manufacturer
    • Acrylic top by an acrylic company
    • Screws from a hardware company
  • Parts all come in
  • In house manufacturing (in Penn)
    • Boards are filled with chips and leds
    • US employees build up the units
  • R&D does follow up testing
  • Finished goods are packaged and shipped
Similar process for all of their products.

It is not economical for Ecotech to run injection molding equipment, an aluminum foundry and a chip manufacturing facility. They could bring in the tech to make the bare boards (perhaps that exists or they will in the future), but generally that requires some specialized chemical processes.

The "Chinese knockoff market" that you refer to is when a company outsources the full process to an external company. In the above process, the individual manufacturers are often from a global footprint (many may be local or in the US). None of the individuals know the other vendors. They also do not know what components go where on the boards.

Again, if you have evidence that they no longer manufacture in the US, please provide it. Do you have a news article about layoffs in their Pennsylvania facility? Ads where they are selling their chip placing equipment?

This knockoff is a classic example of a manufacturer in a country who does not recognize international IP/ brand identity. Often times they have a similar external look, but the internal components are garbage. The internal design often skips standard protection protocols making them fire and electrical hazards. They have no UL or CE certifications and are often imported as "novelty" items.
That ul ce testing is b.s. it's a paid for certification with zero weight behind it any more. As far as the rest of your rant, you have not shown any documentation to your claims lol.

Now I will say that all the Chinese Knock-Offs I have seen being sold are of products that had their manufacturing exported to China for increased profits, and the Chinese companies produce more then the contract specified, then they sell the product on their form of Amazon, that albinia market app. Sure it doesn't use mobius, probably better it doesn't, but the leds,boards,housings ect will most likely be the same as the real radion. Hell id be surprised if the parts are not interchangeable lol.

And furthermore your fire hazard claims hold no weight.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$371 for fake xr15 does not seem worth it (assuming it includes shipping). That’s a lot of money for a copy. I paid less for my lightly used ones and they were just on sale for for $425 which isn’t much more and has a warranty and likely better parts and support for the app.

Chinese lights are fine and all but I expect the price point to match.. $135 for smatfarm or $165? During sale for noop and such. It seems more like maybe a $250 dollar light.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That ul ce testing is b.s. it's a paid for certification with zero weight behind it any more. As far as the rest of your rant, you have not shown any documentation to your claims lol.

Now I will say that all the Chinese Knock-Offs I have seen being sold are of products that had their manufacturing exported to China for increased profits, and the Chinese companies produce more then the contract specified, then they sell the product on their form of Amazon, that albinia market app. Sure it doesn't use mobius, probably better it doesn't, but the leds,boards,housings ect will most likely be the same as the real radion. Hell id be surprised if the parts are not interchangeable lol.

And furthermore your fire hazard claims hold no weight.
I provided a video of their new facility shot less than 1 year ago and a picture of the sticker on the light that states "Designed and Assembled in Pennsylvania". The video clearly shows key assemblies being produced in Pennsylvania.

You have provided baseless speculation. There is no evidence that Ecotech has closed their manufacturing lines which go back many generations of product (not just the Radions).

UL and CE certification are important for companies that value their brand. Without this they are open to litigation due to failure of their products. Distributors can also be held liable for non certified products. Yes, fire hazard is a real thing with black box reef lights. In particular there are many issues with the connections on top of the lights and improperly designed circuits leading to melt downs and fires.

Often the components used are sub-par. The resistors do not meet spec, the LEDs are bottom bin and even the solder is not up to spec (could even be old non-ROHS compliant). The internal boards may not have the proper grounding layers, leading to cross talk or eventual ground shorting of components. There are a million places to cut corners with no consumer safety oversight or larger brand image to support.

Ecotech is a good US company and there is no reason to bash them. They have made significant investments into the reef hobby. What is your motivation for attacking them?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$371 for fake xr15 does not seem worth it (assuming it includes shipping). That’s a lot of money for a copy. I paid less for my lightly used ones and they were just on sale for for $425 which isn’t much more and has a warranty and likely better parts and support for the app.

Chinese lights are fine and all but I expect the price point to match.. $135 for smatfarm or $165? During sale for noop and such. It seems more like maybe a $250 dollar light.
The 375.00 from aquarium low cost is the xr30 g5 pro clone, not an xr15
I provided a video of their new facility shot less than 1 year ago and a picture of the sticker on the light that states "Designed and Assembled in Pennsylvania". The video clearly shows key assemblies being produced in Pennsylvania.

You have provided baseless speculation. There is no evidence that Ecotech has closed their manufacturing lines which go back many generations of product (not just the Radions).

UL and CE certification are important for companies that value their brand. Without this they are open to litigation due to failure of their products. Distributors can also be held liable for non certified products. Yes, fire hazard is a real thing with black box reef lights. In particular there are many issues with the connections on top of the lights and improperly designed circuits leading to melt downs and fires.

Often the components used are sub-par. The resistors do not meet spec, the LEDs are bottom bin and even the solder is not up to spec (could even be old non-ROHS compliant). The internal boards may not have the proper grounding layers, leading to cross talk or eventual ground shorting of components. There are a million places to cut corners with no consumer safety oversight or larger brand image to support.

Ecotech is a good US company and there is no reason to bash them. They have made significant investments into the reef hobby. What is your motivation for attacking them?
You do know the difference between ASSEMBLED and MADE IN THE USA dont you?

If you order a Legos kit that's made in China and ASSEMBLE it in the U.S. then you can legally put assembled in the U.S.
Now if the Legos kit was made in the U.S. then assembled in the U.S. you can legally put made in the USA.

See the difference here?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Super uninformed question here: is there a way to tell which bin a led comes from? I know next to nothing about the inner workings of led lights.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Super uninformed question here: is there a way to tell which bin a led comes from? I know next to nothing about the inner workings of led lights.
Typically the individual devices are not labeled. Larger assemblies (COB) may have a lot number. The biggest visible difference is spectral output. Higher bin ensures the same color and output every time.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you order a Legos kit that's made in China and ASSEMBLE it in the U.S. then you can legally put assembled in the U.S.
Now if the Legos kit was made in the U.S. then assembled in the U.S. you can legally put made in the USA.

See the difference here?

I don’t see it on the website? The clone for x30 shows 499 on Alibaba.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

See the difference here?
The Lego kit example has no relevance. They likely have dozens of sources for the components needed to build a product. Some of the source companies may be in the US, some may be in Europe and others in Asia.
The largest subassembly is the meanwell power supply which is not an off the shelf component (custom PN for Ecotech).

You stated that the assembly show in the video is no longer being carried out, has been outsourced to another country and is why they “deserve” to have their external design copied. Where is your evidence that their process has changed over the last 8 months?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see it on the website? The clone for x30 shows 499 on Alibaba.
I posted a link earlier but here you go.
If you look around on their site they sell maxspect, noopspeck ect.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically the individual devices are not labeled. Larger assemblies (COB) may have a lot number. The biggest visible difference is spectral output. Higher bin ensures the same color and output every time.

I found a super cool YouTube video about how they do the binning. I can TOTALLY see this as the corner that gets cut when someone makes a budget LED.

With no way to know what the bin is, I would not be willing to just trust that a random company with no name or reputation to uphold would consistently use the good ones. Especially for $600 or whatever.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a link earlier but here you go.
If you look around on their site they sell maxspect, noopspeck ect.

40 dollar shipping. A lot cheaper then the x30 but still 400 dollars seems like a lot. I guess once someone reliable tests it.. and takes it apart to identify components, test app and syncing, I would feel more confident.

I don’t think they have the x15 on that site I guess. Maybe it was too costly and the x30 makes more sense to produce.

Still, It’s like in that awkward price. If you have $400 to spend you probably have enough for a name brand light. If you are on a budget then $400 is probably too much and a noop or smatfarm looks more attractive.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back