Ecotech radion g5 knock off found!

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, actualy, jebao DO have their lights..

Search for AL-90, AL-150, or AK-70...

Regarding popbloom rs90, they are hardly copy of red sea, i'd say "red sea inspired" rather than copy....

They look similar, and share same principle, close spaced leds under recessed single lens, and share that "reef spec" layout of blues under one strong channel, but.... Hardly a copy....

And yes, cheaper than red sea, but not that cheap.....
Yeah I know about jebao lights as well, although there has been issues with their app from my understanding. I actually was considering getting the 150s for one of my displays a couple years ago.
I dont think they are a copy of any light on the area either but I could be wrong.

I know the popblooms don't have an app, instead have a wired controller, but according to a person I know who has both, other then that they look almost exactly the same. I've not seen them in person to compare though.

Redsea is a Chinese factory user so it's not hard to assume they would be very similar.

The negative hate on a product without any hands on by some people here is just silly.

Here's an example jebao had the slw10,and slw20 on the market for at least 1 year before the neros came to the market. But the jebao haters will claim the slw is a copy of the nero lol!

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did not export their production. Nothing has changed. For some reason you seem compelled to make things up and spread them as fact.

Do you expect that they would bring in plastic beads and do the plastic injection molding in house? They would have metal extrusion equipment and make the heat sink? They would be making their own LEDs, resistors, transistors and logic chips? That is not how products are made. Each part comes from a variety of vendors around the world.

The vortech video is from 3 years ago in their old building. The WWC video was posted 8 months ago and shows the new facility that they built to support increased production.

Still waiting on one piece of evidence suggesting that the shown production no longer occurs in the US and that Ecotech has reduced the number of jobs at their now bigger facility.
Ahh so no lies or misinformation from my part, no untrue claims either. I states probable possibilities on how the Chinese manufacturer would have gotten the design info to produce the copies. , are you saying that is definitively not possible, they broke into ecotechs facilities and stole the blueprints?
Have you put your hands on the 2 different lights and compared thier parts side by side to verify one is made from inferior parts?? No you have been making definitive claims on how the copy is made from junk parts and not the same, and that the radion is made in house by Ecotech but then showed they are only assembled.

You don't know what they have and have not exported as far as production unless you hold a position of authority with ecotech, if you do what title?

You have any clue just how much assembly is really happening? How fully assembled the components are when they arrive at ecotech? How many different companies they are really getting the components from? Could it be 50, or could it be 1?

I dont know ,AND I DID NOT CLAIM TO LIKE YOU ARE!

Is it reasonable to think they very well could be getting the entire light sans the control board from a single source, and installing that in house? Then packaging them up in the retail boxes and shipping them out?
That is a reasonable possibility to me.

Before seeing the xr30g5 and xr15g5 copies, I was under the impression that the radions were made in the USA.

If you remember I asked if anyone could verify they still are being made in the USA. As someone else said it does not say made in the USA on the light or packaging. So you can quit with the claims I have been lying or spreading disinformation.

Prove where their components are coming from, exactly how much assembly is occurring in house of the radions or better yet their lawsuit for intellectual property rights theft and then your comments will carry weight. The bullish rants you have been making are worthless.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ahh so no lies or misinformation from my part, no untrue claims either. I states probable possibilities on how the Chinese manufacturer would have gotten the design info to produce the copies. , are you saying that is definitively not possible, they broke into ecotechs facilities and stole the blueprints?
Have you put your hands on the 2 different lights and compared thier parts side by side to verify one is made from inferior parts?? No you have been making definitive claims on how the copy is made from junk parts and not the same, and that the radion is made in house by Ecotech but then showed they are only assembled.

You don't know what they have and have not exported as far as production unless you hold a position of authority with ecotech, if you do what title?

You have any clue just how much assembly is really happening? How fully assembled the components are when they arrive at ecotech? How many different companies they are really getting the components from? Could it be 50, or could it be 1?

I dont know ,AND I DID NOT CLAIM TO LIKE YOU ARE!

Is it reasonable to think they very well could be getting the entire light sans the control board from a single source, and installing that in house? Then packaging them up in the retail boxes and shipping them out?
That is a reasonable possibility to me.

Before seeing the xr30g5 and xr15g5 copies, I was under the impression that the radions were made in the USA.

If you remember I asked if anyone could verify they still are being made in the USA. As someone else said it does not say made in the USA on the light or packaging. So you can quit with the claims I have been lying or spreading disinformation.

Prove where their components are coming from, exactly how much assembly is occurring in house of the radions or better yet their lawsuit for intellectual property rights theft and then your comments will carry weight. The bullish rants you have been making are worthless.
The status quo of information is set forth in the videos. Ecotech imports base components from multiple global suppliers (stated in the second video) i.e. plastic cases, and builds the higher level assembly in house. The new video establishes that Ecotech has invested additional significant capital to increase manufacturing capacity in their Pennsylvania location.

You have confirmed that you have no evidence that:
1. Ecotech has changed their manufacturing process in the last year
2. Has reduced headcount in support of exporting manufacturing processes

Your misleading "speculation" that it is an "evil" company who is reducing US jobs for better margins is untrue. Therefore It does not "deserve" to have its designs copied.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The status quo of information is set forth in the videos. Ecotech imports base components from multiple global suppliers (stated in the second video) i.e. plastic cases, and builds the higher level assembly in house. The new video establishes that Ecotech has invested additional significant capital to increase manufacturing capacity in their Pennsylvania location.

You have confirmed that you have no evidence that:
1. Ecotech has changed their manufacturing process in the last year
2. Has reduced headcount in support of exporting manufacturing processes

Your misleading "speculation" that it is an "evil" company who is reducing US jobs for better margins is untrue. Therefore It does not "deserve" to have its designs copied.

You have not established how the copies did or did not come to fruition either. Instead you have thrown out attacks and loud statements with nothing other then sales promotional videos ( yes that's what they are including the wwc one). Pretended to have inside knowledge on their product sources ect with zero real knowledge except those youtube marketing videos.

Do you have personal gain in ecotech? Are you worried that a mass of people will end up with similar lights at less investment, dulling the shine on yours? You have no use for these lights, that's great! Others may and the knowledge they exist is invaluable to them that's great! Your personal offense to them is worrying and you should probably seek some help with it.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was actually wondering if you run this cheap LED website.

It's not insider knowledge. It's standard product development. This is how everyone builds things. Made in the USA is defined as a percentage of the value of the components being made domestically (55% --> 75%) Cree is the only US manufacturer of LEDs, so between the other LEDs and the power supply it pretty much knocks it out from that qualification. The next step is Assembled in the USA.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually wondering if you run this cheap LED website.

It's not insider knowledge. It's standard product development. This is how everyone builds things. Made in the USA is defined as a percentage of the value of the components being made domestically (55% --> 75%) Cree is the only US manufacturer of LEDs, so between the other LEDs and the power supply it pretty much knocks it out from that qualification. The next step is Assembled in the USA.
If you are speaking to me, I have zero connection to the knockoffs. Never used them, but di plan to order one to checkout.
I'm actually a mh lover lol, but currently run a Chinese brand led set over my 8x3x2 400g.

Those are ledzeal.com
Mirage x200 with superblue layout.
These 4 fixtures out perform the radions by a huge margin! They produce 300 par at 80%pur across the entire bottom at a peak output of 35% per channel.

My real joy in posting anything about these radion knockoffs is two fold, first is helping reefers on a budget move closer to equal to those without one. Second to see people like you who are threatened by the chance that a reefer will achieve the same look/ results without the name brand hype! I can only imagine you and another reefer showing off your systems. You bragging about your g5s and the other person saying no those are not g5 over theirs, they are half priced copies, and nobody being able to tell a difference.

Or better yet a future tank of the month with knockoffs over their display hahaha!

20210830_220738.jpg

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange way to derive happiness in life. I could care less what other people run on their tanks.
Really? You sure went about belittling these lights, spending extended time trying to attack their use, ect for not caring! I thought you had some financial gain in radion and these threatened that financial well being

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just think they are expensive is all. Used to paying sub 200 for chinese boxes. The kessil one is $115 :p

but maybe it is identical entirely and justifies the cost of the app is usable.
They are NOT identical. I detailed that on page 8, just a few posts before yours here.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are NOT identical. I detailed that on page 8, just a few posts before yours here.
Other then the control chips and possibly some wire connections that would effect individual channels ( if any) you nor I nor anyone else knows how much different they are until someone does a side by side comparison of them . Saying anything more is mere speculation!

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i'm the 80-is kid, so concept of "copies, knock off-s" are probably bit differenylt, but for me, i kinda still look trough these glases.....

Very popular copies in the 80-is here was chinese copys of masters of the universe, and tmnt action figures. They were sold on marketplace, so on one place you buy chicken, onions and carrots,and brand new action figure.

And copies were 1:1 identical in look, identical in parts and assembly, somewhat identical in functions, and totaly different in quality.... Yes, we have original mattel's, for about 100x pricier....

And that is still my definition, if something is copy, then its identical in look, assembly and to some point functionality....

Just because rs90 looks a lot like ls90, but in every major way is different, its kinda saying that bmw is copy or knock off of mercedes....

I will be perfectly happy with knock of of knock of of some light, as long as they work very close as original..... ;) And its cheap....

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Other then the control chips and possibly some wire connections that would effect individual channels ( if any) you nor I nor anyone else knows how much different they are until someone does a side by side comparison of them . Saying anything more is mere speculation!
You’re on one. What about me saying I DID a side by side comparison makes you think that I did not do a side by side comparison?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re on one. What about me saying I DID a side by side comparison makes you think that I did not do a side by side comparison?
You did a side by side of the g5 and the knockoff? Pics or vid to show the differences?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the g5 knockoffs won't be reverent soon, since all the fanboys will be dumping their g5's to be the first kid on the block with the new G6's about to be released lol

Dragon8736

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day we all just want to buy more corals so if we can cut cost just to keep our corals we take any measure just to do it. I been in the hobby for long enough to know back in the days we ran all sorts of equipment to even build our own just to cut cost. I use T12 lighting made for offices to metal halide bulbs for parking lot lighting haha. If you want to go cheaper use the sun and not buy any lights at all and have a green house tank.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day we all just want to buy more corals so if we can cut cost just to keep our corals we take any measure just to do it. I been in the hobby for long enough to know back in the days we ran all sorts of equipment to even build our own just to cut cost. I use T12 lighting made for offices to metal halide bulbs for parking lot lighting haha. If you want to go cheaper use the sun and not buy any lights at all and have a green house tank.
Actually my next reef I plan to use sunlight tube supplemented with lights. So that's definitely in my head as well.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting! From the pictures it looks nearly identical to a G5. Although the power input is only 31V DC, which is different from the original's 36V. Also, it only has 6 channel control vs 10 in G5. So it does look like a cheaper knockoff.
Here's a non mobile link to the listing: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/215-watt-Full-Spectrum-Aquarium-LED_1600428417163.html
I doubt you'll ever see anything from China that's as good as the original, unless someone has access to the original manufacturer.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the G6 coming out at the same time as this unit, I suspect that the Chinese company that manufactured these for Ecotech was allowed under their contract to market their own version of the G5's after a certain time period. It looks like Ecotech came up with some minor changes/improvements with the G6 to stay ahead of them.

All suspicion on my part, but that is what it looks like to me.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back