Ecotech Radion G5 Speculation

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The G4 has been out for awhile now, so does anyone have any information on the Radion G5?
  • Release Date?
  • Built in Wifi?
  • Will Apex users still need a WXM Module if Wifi is stock?
  • Even Better Spread?
  • Any rumors or speculation are welcome.

OP
OP
WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I'd imagine they're done with r&d at this point and will iron it this summer. Hopefully we'll hear something soon. I'm thinking about a new light and I'd certainly like to skip the WXM if I know wifi is coming.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were updating every year at first. This was because their number one competitor was doing the same.

When their competitor stopped upgrading every year, they stopped. Why spend the R&D money if you don't have to?

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I'd imagine they're done with r&d at this point and will iron it this summer. Hopefully we'll hear something soon. I'm thinking about a new light and I'd certainly like to skip the WXM if I know wifi is coming.
I dont think so.
Their r&d will never be done.
Do you think apples is done with iphone 7+?
They are in the market to make money and to rob your wallet until out of the hobby. . They make new light every few years regardless how your coral is doing.
Just like honda or toyota, they change the appearance or look of their cars every four years.

OP
OP
WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think so.
Their r&d will never be done.
Do you think apples is done with iphone 7+?
They are in the market to make money and to rob your wallet until out of the hobby. . They make new light every few years regardless how your coral is doing.
Just like honda or toyota, they change the appearance or look of their cars every four years.
Yes, the majority of the r&d is probably done for the G5. Releases are an iterative process. G5 is nothing more than a spec rev. I do this sort of thing for a living... In keeping with the intent of this thread, Any body have any details? ;)

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I asked this question to the top brass at Ecotech they said earliest would be two years. An there will not be an upgrade path form G4 to G5 asked that too [emoji3]I would like them to go in a whole new direction. Get a way for the puck design especially if they do not palm to upgrade the light anymore.

OP
OP
WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I asked this question to the top brass at Ecotech they said earliest would be two years. An there will not be an upgrade path form G4 to G5 asked that too [emoji3]I would like them to go in a whole new direction. Get a way for the puck design especially if they do not palm to upgrade the light anymore.

Thanks for chiming in! No upgrade path from the G4 sounds like good news to me if this signals a significant hardware revision. They'll probably hit retailers late summer '18, right?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The winds of change are in the air in LED look at the Phillip's fixture. The completion is heating up and the design is getting old really and you can buy used Radion's every day of the week not a good thing for the brand.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The winds of change are in the air in LED look at the Phillip's fixture. The completion is heating up and the design is getting old really and you can buy used Radion's every day of the week not a good thing for the brand.
Forget looking at the Phillips fixture. Anyone who has seen the display tanks at World Wide Corals, Sanjay Joshi, and Mike Paletta will agree, the product is great as it sits and is a proven performer. AI has a similar design and David Saxby and Stuart Bertram have proved to have amazing results with them as well. If you are not successful with the Radions, don't blame them. The problem is not the light, but the user.

nolaron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget looking at the Phillips fixture. Anyone who has seen the display tanks at World Wide Corals, Sanjay Joshi, and Mike Paletta will agree, the product is great as it sits and is a proven performer. AI has a similar design and David Saxby and Stuart Bertram have proved to have amazing results with them as well. If you are not successful with the Radions, don't blame them. The problem is not the light, but the user.
When you have the money or fame that those people have in order to get 1 radion per 1sq/ft then sure radions are amazing. Rather than spending more money on more radions I added t5 to my setup.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Radions either work or they don't it all depends on the tank and the money you have. What I find interesting about the WWC set up is they do not mount them at the recommended height Ecotech tells everyone else to mount their lights.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good thing is if a new G5 comes out, the G4's being "older tech" carry amazing results meaning Leds are proven and surpass now all once known limitations. I did see some G4's are a local reef store and I was impressed as corals did look good.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back