Ecotech Radion G5 Speculation

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by WhiskyTango, May 19, 2017.

1. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

The G4 has been out for awhile now, so does anyone have any information on the Radion G5?
    • Release Date?
    • Built in Wifi?
    • Will Apex users still need a WXM Module if Wifi is stock?
    • Even Better Spread?
    • Any rumors or speculation are welcome.

2. Joker79

Joker79 Well-Known Member

3. Water Dog

Water Dog Well-Known Member

Considering that it was just released in the late summer or so of last year, I wouldn't expect anything new until at least next year. It seems like Ecotech's lights follow roughly a 2 - 2 1/2 year product cycle.

4. gcarroll

gcarroll Well-Known Member R2R Supporter SCMAS Member

I believe Ecotech is doing upgrades every 2 years at best. Really no reason for them to do it any more often at this point. Spread is pretty darn good on the G4. I was really impressed with what I saw at WWC earlier this month.

shubunk, CoralNerd, ksed and 6 others like this.
  5. d2mini

d2mini Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

A while? You must be a millenial if 8 months is a while. :D

6. smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

Should be coming out in the next few weeks ime. I just ordered the G4s to upgrade my 3s. I bought the 3s weeks before the 4s came out.
    Never fails with me. I ordered the Apex, and before I could throw away the packaging the new Apex came out.

7. WhiskyTango

Yea, I'd imagine they're done with r&d at this point and will iron it this summer. Hopefully we'll hear something soon. I'm thinking about a new light and I'd certainly like to skip the WXM if I know wifi is coming.

smokin'reefer likes this.
  8. gcarroll

They were updating every year at first. This was because their number one competitor was doing the same.

When their competitor stopped upgrading every year, they stopped. Why spend the R&D money if you don't have to?

9. FDAWG

FDAWG Well-Known Member

10. ifarmer

ifarmer Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I dont think so.
    Their r&d will never be done.
    Do you think apples is done with iphone 7+?
    They are in the market to make money and to rob your wallet until out of the hobby. . They make new light every few years regardless how your coral is doing.
    Just like honda or toyota, they change the appearance or look of their cars every four years.

3mm3 likes this.
  11. WhiskyTango

Yes, the majority of the r&d is probably done for the G5. Releases are an iterative process. G5 is nothing more than a spec rev. I do this sort of thing for a living... In keeping with the intent of this thread, Any body have any details? ;)

12. ifarmer

ifarmer Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

You guarantee there wont be g6, g7?
    I wouldnt mind putting my tank on the table to bet.

13. reefwiser

reefwiser LMAS R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

When I asked this question to the top brass at Ecotech they said earliest would be two years. An there will not be an upgrade path form G4 to G5 asked that too I would like them to go in a whole new direction. Get a way for the puck design especially if they do not palm to upgrade the light anymore.

14. WhiskyTango

Thanks for chiming in! No upgrade path from the G4 sounds like good news to me if this signals a significant hardware revision. They'll probably hit retailers late summer '18, right?

15. reefwiser

reefwiser LMAS R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

The winds of change are in the air in LED look at the Phillip's fixture. The completion is heating up and the design is getting old really and you can buy used Radion's every day of the week not a good thing for the brand.

GoVols likes this.
  16. gcarroll

Forget looking at the Phillips fixture. Anyone who has seen the display tanks at World Wide Corals, Sanjay Joshi, and Mike Paletta will agree, the product is great as it sits and is a proven performer. AI has a similar design and David Saxby and Stuart Bertram have proved to have amazing results with them as well. If you are not successful with the Radions, don't blame them. The problem is not the light, but the user.

17. Water Dog

Water Dog Well-Known Member

Or you could blame the fact you're under gunned and you need twice as many fixtures Ecotech recommends...

18. nolaron

nolaron Well-Known Member

When you have the money or fame that those people have in order to get 1 radion per 1sq/ft then sure radions are amazing. Rather than spending more money on more radions I added t5 to my setup.

19. reefwiser

The Radions either work or they don't it all depends on the tank and the money you have. What I find interesting about the WWC set up is they do not mount them at the recommended height Ecotech tells everyone else to mount their lights.

Stugots and WhiskyTango like this.
  20. Reefcowboy

Reefcowboy Well-Known Member

The good thing is if a new G5 comes out, the G4's being "older tech" carry amazing results meaning Leds are proven and surpass now all once known limitations. I did see some G4's are a local reef store and I was impressed as corals did look good.

Draft saved Draft deleted