Ecotech Radion G5 Speculation

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an sps dominant tank, I honestly believe that's what is needed. When you have smaller sps colonies, you won't even notice a difference. But once they start growing into medium to large colonies, that's when you will need 1 per foot. I don't care how rich some hobbyists are, $5600 is a tough pill to swallow.
Some day we need to get you out to Orlando! The experience will make you question all that you think you know regarding lighting.

Water Wings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to reread this thread's title once I got to the end to make sure I was posting on the correct one...

I'm curious to see what the next gen changes are and am looking forward to their announcement. The tanks I've seen in person lit up with the G4's look a lot better than the ones I've seen with the G3's (which still looked great).

Ludwing Lutin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish and hope that in the new models Ecotech can do a better work at the quality assurance, I had two lamps of Gen4 and newest start to fail, caused by fabric defects. Im too far from USA and its not cheap to send for warranty.

psiconauta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The G4 has been out for awhile now, so does anyone have any information on the Radion G5?
  • Release Date?
  • Built in Wifi?
  • Will Apex users still need a WXM Module if Wifi is stock?
  • Even Better Spread?
  • Any rumors or speculation are welcome.
Out for a while? I have ordered 18 in the last month and the only thing ive notices is faster order turn around time, as one of México's only Oficial Ecotech Distributor, Ive noticed they have been more stable in production and I havent had to wait more than 3 days on a Radion order, Im about to place an order for 12 more and dont see them being out for a while.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you could blame the fact you're under gunned and you need twice as many fixtures Ecotech recommends...
Couldn't agree more, this is how I ended up with a Hydra 52hd and two prime HD's on a 24" 50 gallon cube lol

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are currently using gen 3 and 4 and couldn't be happier with them here at our facilities.
It's the SPS AB+ schedule, completely turned around my led experience. I run AI lighting but took the principles you put forward in that study and bam my tank has never looked better!

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I'd imagine they're done with r&d at this point and will iron it this summer. Hopefully we'll hear something soon. I'm thinking about a new light and I'd certainly like to skip the WXM if I know wifi is coming.
But there already is WIFI how do you think it connects? Even with ecosmartlive you can connect via wireless

But it would tick me off since I just bought my G4 last week

OP
OP
WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this thread took off! It's cool to have so many experienced reefers including WWC and the Reef2Reef brass chiming in. Thanks Everyone! With respect to my initial statement saying the G4's have been out awhile, the holidays and 2018 will be here before you know it, so product cycle wise - it might not be long before we start hearing rumblings of the G5's specs. I was just wondering if anyone has caught wind of anything yet. For example, has Ecotech recently hired a bunch of engineers and devs?

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But there already is WIFI how do you think it connects? Even with ecosmartlive you can connect via wireless

I have never met a company that would willingly give up charging $100 for an accessory that its customers accept (which every radion customer does), thus I say reeflink and the wxm ain't going anywhere lol. It's kind of like apple saying no we will just switch to USB from lighting for the good of the customer and no plan to make up that revenue elsewhere.

OP
OP
WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Right, out of the box wireless compatibility with Apex is what I should have said.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, out of the box wireless compatibility with Apex is what I should have said.

At reefapalooza Orlando I talked to the apex rep and he said they were working on wifi control for Hydra HD lighting but were happy with the WXM and had no plans for radion direct compatibility. Well I actually asked about native MP-w pump support but I would assume if they have no plans for mp pumps then the same applies to radion since they use the same chip.

Also on another note, now that I think about it I'm quite sure everyone at ecotech is gearing up for the next AI release as the HD series is almost 2 years old already.

victorcan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you have the money or fame that those people have in order to get 1 radion per 1sq/ft then sure radions are amazing. Rather than spending more money on more radions I added t5 to my setup.
I have been using radions for 6-7 years now with amazing results, last year I upgraded to a 220 and thought I wasn't getting enough light so I added a 400watt radium halide bulb.. I got better growth under the radions than I did the halide with T5 supplimentaion .. I am a believer, I have since upgraded to 3 G4's and 2 G3's over my 220 and ditched all else

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out for a while? I have ordered 18 in the last month and the only thing ive notices is faster order turn around time, as one of México's only Oficial Ecotech Distributor, Ive noticed they have been more stable in production and I havent had to wait more than 3 days on a Radion order, Im about to place an order for 12 more and dont see them being out for a while.
He means they've been on the market for a while. Released a while ago. Available for a while.

Not "out" as in "no more".

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back