Ecotech Radion G6?

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just bought 3 xr30 pros's for my 180g reef. I will also be running 4 80w T5 bulbs and also like a more white spectrum so I dont currently have any real fears about par. I will have to grab a par meter so I can tune properly

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Glare is wasted photons. If you need to cover your light with a thing to reduce glare, or mount your lights above the silly low recommended 7", you have a light that isn't sending the light where the light is needed. 2. Has everyone forgotten the awesomeness that was the G4? Both spectrum and PAR in the tank. 3. Given the forgotten G4, we've also forgotten that the 120° wide angle kit was intended for shallow tanks and "spread [will be] achieved by dimishing the peak PAR at the center of the fixture." Maybe BRS meant "diminishing." 4. Now the G6 is at 126.3°. Or, wait for it...back to 77° with the comically named "High Intensity Lens Kit." The G5/G6 spread greatly reduces photons being sent into the tank. Your PAR readings are accurate. 5. That G5/6 spread performed VERY well during BRS testing. Not a surprise. Also not a surprise that performance at home is other than what BRS has shared. We generally don't reef with an empty glass box full of freshwater sans rocks, maybe sand, frag racks, stuff growing on the glass, corals, and fish.

If you move from G5 to G6, you will most likely see a drop in PAR. If the spread increases, PAR will generally decrease. The easiest way to see that is to test open-air. That's one of the reasons why I test open-air.

1702045945656.png

1702046018736.png

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Reefi Uno 2.0 pro
- Covers same area
- MORE POWER 270w vs 200w
- more blue spectrum
- 3 year warranty, vs ecotech 1yr
- HALF THE PRICE!!!!
This. I'll add that ReeFi includes three different spread options in the box at no extra cost. And, yeah...half the price of a poorer performing XR30 (any gen).

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because BRS are owned by the company that owns Ecotech and a few other big brands.

I’ve recently bought a pair of the g6 XR15 pro for my mixed reef to replace my Redsea Reefled 90s. I really like them, I have less shadowing and better colours, but I’m getting 180-220 PAR on my acros which were previously getting 250-320 PAR.

I’ve seen today that ecotech have announced new lenses for g6 (and g5) that bump the PAR output by 65% so I’ll probably be picking those up because I’m a pleb.
Please post a link to the new lens for the gen 5. I cant find it anywhere.
I ran the gen 5 blues on my 80 growout running full ab+ with great success. I will be using the same xr15's on my 150 and will be running 5 in an aquatic life hybrid fixture.
Thanks.
20231106_115127.jpg

TastyScrants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Glare is wasted photons. If you need to cover your light with a thing to reduce glare, or mount your lights above the silly low recommended 7", you have a light that isn't sending the light where the light is needed. 2. Has everyone forgotten the awesomeness that was the G4? Both spectrum and PAR in the tank. 3. Given the forgotten G4, we've also forgotten that the 120° wide angle kit was intended for shallow tanks and "spread [will be] achieved by dimishing the peak PAR at the center of the fixture." Maybe BRS meant "diminishing." 4. Now the G6 is at 126.3°. Or, wait for it...back to 77° with the comically named "High Intensity Lens Kit." The G5/G6 spread greatly reduces photons being sent into the tank. Your PAR readings are accurate. 5. That G5/6 spread performed VERY well during BRS testing. Not a surprise. Also not a surprise that performance at home is other than what BRS has shared. We generally don't reef with an empty glass box full of freshwater sans rocks, maybe sand, frag racks, stuff growing on the glass, corals, and fish.

If you move from G5 to G6, you will most likely see a drop in PAR. If the spread increases, PAR will generally decrease. The easiest way to see that is to test open-air. That's one of the reasons why I test open-air.

1702045945656.png

1702046018736.png
Everything you say is what I’m doing I currently have some 3D printed shades on my lights to spare my eyes when I’m sat on the sofa due to the excessive light spill these g6s put out. But with my water quality some of my SPS may be better off in the 400PAR I get on my coffee table!

I’ll probably be picking up a set of these new lenses for my pair of g6 xr15 over my reefer 250.

I wish some of the lighting options you guys have in the USA were available in the UK. The reefbreeders were sold here under a different name but I think we only had the one shipment, as they’ve been sold out for years.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything you say is what I’m doing I currently have some 3D printed shades on my lights to spare my eyes when I’m sat on the sofa due to the excessive light spill these g6s put out. But with my water quality some of my SPS may be better off in the 400PAR I get on my coffee table!

I’ll probably be picking up a set of these new lenses for my pair of g6 xr15 over my reefer 250.

I wish some of the lighting options you guys have in the USA were available in the UK. The reefbreeders were sold here under a different name but I think we only had the one shipment, as they’ve been sold out for years.
You can't get the OEM evergrows anymore? That's unfortunate.

BTW, ReeFi ships internationally.
But with my water quality some of my SPS may be better off in the 400PAR I get on my coffee table!
This made me laugh! Thank you.

-Jim

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1702045945656.png

1702046018736.png
Didn't they use to brag about the advantages of HEI lenses? Ironic.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to pick up the new lens for my 15's. Once my tank is up I will check par with the original lens and then the new ones.
I will test the new ones in the air vs the original as soon as they arrive.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to pick up the new lens for my 15's. Once my tank is up I will check par with the original lens and then the new ones.
I will test the new ones in the air vs the original as soon as they arrive.
24" above the sensor face, please. Would be fun to compare vs a Gen 4 Pro running AB+ at 100%.

Edit - crap...you said XR15. I'll see if I can dust off the Gen 5 XR30 in the basement and fetch me a tight lens. Also have a G5 to G6 upgrade kit, so could do a two for one.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech is good commercially, first they sell you an upgrade to g6 for more spread and less power than another upgrade to get back with less spread and more power.. How comes some people keep staying with this brand that just make poor products since the g4

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech is good commercially, first they sell you an upgrade to g6 for more spread and less power than another upgrade to get back with less spread and more power.. How comes some people keep staying with this brand that just make poor products since the g4
Like many manufacturers, they read the forums and adapt to what people say they want. I have a feeling they don't have a dozen coral tanks to experiment with.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like many manufacturers, they read the forums and adapt to what people say they want. I have a feeling they don't have a dozen coral tanks to experiment with.
1. I’d argue the target is BRS’ testing, and not forum requests. B. There were multiple tanks at their old facility, and I understand that that’s also the case at the new place.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I’d argue the target is BRS’ testing, and not forum requests. B. There were multiple tanks at their old facility, and I understand that that’s also the case at the new place.
The old "teach to the test" method

Where's all the innovation Ryan promised when these companies merged???

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old "teach to the test" method

Where's all the innovation Ryan promised when these companies merged???
Ryan has no stake in the game anymore. He's a paid representative. The only real innovation left for LEDs is to figure out the best solutions for spectrum for growth, spectrum for visual appeal, physical distribution of LEDs, and intensity. All the rest is bells and whistles (and how much the manufacturers can get away with cost-wise).

Mwatts12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four 6G XR30 pro. I had them mounted on the standard ecotech rail which I believe is 9 inches above the water.

Lots of shadowing and I realized I would need maybe 2-3 more XR30s.

I bought an aquatic life T5 to add to the Radions. I have high ceilings so after suspended they are 16 inches off the water

This height was a game changer in every way.

I now run all color channels at 100 (except red/green) and intensity is at 65. It’s a blanket of light

I believe they need to be raised higher.

OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four 6G XR30 pro. I had them mounted on the standard ecotech rail which I believe is 9 inches above the water.

Lots of shadowing and I realized I would need maybe 2-3 more XR30s.

I bought an aquatic life T5 to add to the Radions. I have high ceilings so after suspended they are 16 inches off the water

This height was a game changer in every way.

I now run all color channels at 100 (except red/green) and intensity is at 65. It’s a blanket of light

I believe they need to be raised higher.
Must be a very white blue you’ve got. Are you running pros or blues? I keep mine at 11” also for ceiling height restrictions.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back