Ecotech Radion G6?

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just did a warranty exchange from g5 blue to g6 blue. Running uv all the way to blue without the white and red vs g5 you can't tell difference by eye in terms of color they both look same blue spectrum.. If you have the white, warm white and red on the g6 Def has the pink hue because of the warm white led compared to g5. I will probably doing some par measurements this weekend to compare them. Will post some results.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did a quick measurement didn't really right down numbers but I see around 75 par drop at same spots. The lights look brighter on same setting hut I think due to the 126 degree beam angle. Now I need more lights for my acros lol. But in blue spectrum can't tell the difference between g5 and g6.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Let's say you could do either.
I see what you did there :).

I would run the G6s and if you're planning on Acropora, buy enough of them to blanket the tank. If you're running mostly LPS then you should be fine.

Now, realistically, the extra near UV helps the spectrum a bit in the G6. I like the spread as well because it was VERY easy to bleach corals with the G5. It was very powerful almost straight down in the water column.

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you did there :).

I would run the G6s and if you're planning on Acropora, buy enough of them to blanket the tank. If you're running mostly LPS then you should be fine.

Now, realistically, the extra near UV helps the spectrum a bit in the G6. I like the spread as well because it was VERY easy to bleach corals with the G5. It was very powerful almost straight down in the water column.

According to a lot of people here, the radions (G5/G6) aren't as powerful as BRS claim, if that's true, Why this lights can bleach corals?

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
According to a lot of people here, the radions (G5/G6) aren't as powerful as BRS claim, if that's true, Why this lights can bleach corals?

People are saying they aren't that powerful because no one is using the white LEDs in the fixture. Everyone uses mainly blue and that's why they don't see a lot of PAR.

Most corals needs white light. You want more PAR? Raise your white channel.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the G5 xr30 blue set at AB+ at 75% and get over 400 at the top and over 200 at the sand. They are strong lights.

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 5 xr15s over red sea 750xxl at 90% no bleaching
What's the depth of your tank?

People are saying they aren't that powerful because no one is using the white LEDs in the fixture. Everyone uses mainly blue and that's why they don't see a lot of PAR.

Most corals needs white light. You want more PAR? Raise your white channel.
I use white lights but not at 100% because cyano and algae appears if I increase the white lights and because I like to have a bluish colored tank.

And as I ask the other guys, what's the depth of your tank?
I run the G5 xr30 blue set at AB+ at 75% and get over 400 at the top and over 200 at the sand. They are strong lights.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I use white lights but not at 100% because cyano and algae appears if I increase the white lights and because I like to have a bluish colored tank.

I didn't say to increase to 100%,that would be catastrophic. I meant if you need more PAR, if you have a PAR meter, then increase to about 30% and measure and adjust. White LEDs are very powerful and they're actually blue LEDs that they adjust to be white.

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Higher par needs more units for more overlap if the white diodes, or those >500nm are going to be under represented. If a blue heavy tank is necessary, and you’re maxed on wattage, then you just need more of them. Slap on the wrist for manufacturers and salesman for misrepresenting what you can get away with on spread, but that’s just a fact of life.

The cheaper lights with the snap on 90 degree optics aren’t better lights because the par is reading higher. It’s just a product of the lensing. You can run a black box next to that radion and get much higher par directly below it. But the spread and scatter will be poorer.

Yes, shame on the folks selling them for letting people believe a 24”x24” area of high light sps is ideal for an xr15. It’s unrealistic, but it’s how they get people in the door. You must blanket the tank in panels of just about any brand you choose if you want 300+ par at the sandbed level at all points. Especially at a 24” depth

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

2ft. Minus sand bend water level. So I would say 20"

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello I not have the courage to read the 21 pages now, how much does an X30 really cover without shadowing?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Reefi Uno 2.0 pro
- Covers same area
- MORE POWER 270w vs 200w
- more blue spectrum
- 3 year warranty, vs ecotech 1yr
- HALF THE PRICE!!!!
The coverage of the reefi uno if you don't want shadowing and sps tank ist not good, Instead of my 4 straton I would need 8 reefi which is twice time more cords, twice time more electricity also...so that mean the radion are even worse.. ?but I hate the color of the straton, to white. Best would then probably I go with led bars, way more cheap and much better coverage

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coverage of the reefi uno if you don't want shadowing and sps tank ist not good, Instead of my 4 straton I would need 8 reefi which is twice time more cords, twice time more electricity also...so that mean the radion are even worse.. ?but I hate the color of the straton, to white. Best would then probably I go with led bars, way more cheap and much better coverage
You would probably need 6 xr30.

But best coverage would probably be led bars to blanket the tank.

What size tank?

TastyScrants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very curious how BRS got these numbers, as nobody else in the industry is able to achieve this
Because BRS are owned by the company that owns Ecotech and a few other big brands.

I’ve recently bought a pair of the g6 XR15 pro for my mixed reef to replace my Redsea Reefled 90s. I really like them, I have less shadowing and better colours, but I’m getting 180-220 PAR on my acros which were previously getting 250-320 PAR.

I’ve seen today that ecotech have announced new lenses for g6 (and g5) that bump the PAR output by 65% so I’ll probably be picking those up because I’m a pleb.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back