Ecotech Radion G6?

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Didn't take it as a challenge, and shared for transparency. I'd be surprised if it's not just a power balancing/temperature management thing. Regardless, for those who like the ATI Blue Plus/Gen 4 Windex option, adding 470nm to a reef is super easy.
how much par you lose between g5 blue and g6 blue, is worth doing a warranty exchange on this ? to get the g6 that they offering

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way I’m catching up on this thread right this second, but I did see something about new G6 owners keeping quiet on forums and reviews… here I am! Brand new 2x x15 g6 blues with diffusers on my new shallow tank.

Abuse me and my Apex PAR meter, I can take it. Giggidy.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way I’m catching up on this thread right this second, but I did see something about new G6 owners keeping quiet on forums and reviews… here I am! Brand new 2x x15 g6 blues with diffusers on my new shallow tank.

Abuse me and my Apex PAR meter, I can take it. Giggidy.
I have the same tank and run 4 xr15 blue gen 5's.
Curious as to your settings.
It took me a couple months to settle on.
First 4 100%
Last 4 50%
Scheduled intensity is 60% and I srarted at 40%.

Two were just not enough so ot will be interesting to see your par numbers.

I replaced a 120 with the 80g and could not be happier as my stand is 36" and now I can access everything from ground level.
20230202_111945.jpg

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and run 4 xr15 blue gen 5's.
Curious as to your settings.
It took me a couple months to settle on.
First 4 100%
Last 4 50%
Scheduled intensity is 60% and I srarted at 40%.

Two were just not enough so ot will be interesting to see your par numbers.

I replaced a 120 with the 80g and could not be happier as my stand is 36" and now I can access everything from ground level.
20230202_111945.jpg
What are the white boxes?

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run the g5 blues. I thought about the upgrade but will just stay with the g5's. I dont think par will be that different though.
Would like to hear from others that have made the switch.
Yes I would like to hear from others too because I need to call them back and tell them which ones I want. I do like the more blue violet spectrum from New g6 but not a fan of the g6 lenses and I heard par will be down 25%.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes I would like to hear from others too because I need to call them back and tell them which ones I want. I do like the more blue violet spectrum from New g6 but not a fan of the g6 lenses and I heard par will be down 25%.
I had the G2 through the G5 and did a lot of research on the G6.

The main difference between the G5 and G6 is light spread. The G5 penetrates deep with 110 degree lenses and it's easy to put too much PAR out. G5 would be great on deeper tanks, but works well on any as long as it's turned down.

The G6 added 2, 395 LEDs and has 126 degree lenses. It provides a bit wider spectrum in the UV range and has better spread for more coverage.

The loss of PAR will be because of the wider spread. Personally, I think it's a good change as you will cover more area and be able to run the G6 at higher outputs without scorching corals.

Would I upgrade from G5 to G6? If you have G5 and everything is working well, then no, I wouldn't.

If you are buying brand new and want to go with the G6, then yes, I would buy the G6 over the G5.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had the G2 through the G5 and did a lot of research on the G6.

The main difference between the G5 and G6 is light spread. The G5 penetrates deep with 110 degree lenses and it's easy to put too much PAR out. G5 would be great on deeper tanks, but works well on any as long as it's turned down.

The G6 added 2, 395 LEDs and has 126 degree lenses. It provides a bit wider spectrum in the UV range and has better spread for more coverage.

The loss of PAR will be because of the wider spread. Personally, I think it's a good change as you will cover more area and be able to run the G6 at higher outputs without scorching corals.

Would I upgrade from G5 to G6? If you have G5 and everything is working well, then no, I wouldn't.

If you are buying brand new and want to go with the G6, then yes, I would buy the G6 over the G5.
Thanks for reply. Currently I have 5 xr15blue on my 750xxl. They doing a warranty exchange on 4 of them because of connectivity issues,if I did the exchange then might get one more g6 or conversion to make al g6. I have the option to chose either g5 or g6. I also have screen mesh on my tank which already kills some of the par. I am at 75 % (and ramping up) now on my tank and I am getting probably around 250 at the top of rock work. I heard if I went with g6 I would lose my par by 25%. I am also worried if I am sitting on the couch if it wil blind me even more lol.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for reply. Currently I have 5 xr15blue on my 750xxl. They doing a warranty exchange on 4 of them because of connectivity issues,if I did the exchange then might get one more g6 or conversion to make al g6. I have the option to chose either g5 or g6. I also have screen mesh on my tank which already kills some of the par. I am at 75 % (and ramping up) now on my tank and I am getting probably around 250 at the top of rock work. I heard if I went with g6 I would lose my par by 25%. I am also worried if I am sitting on the couch if it wil blind me even more lol.
For blinding just order some shades. I was blinded and now its perfect.
Pics in a previous reply.

Mark7616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I’ve lurked and used this forum over the years for research but decided today to join up, as I have been using the thread on this forum for my argument about how under powered the g6 xr15 is in my argument with ecotech.

I bought the parwise when it hit the uk recently as the apogee isn’t readily available over here. I wanted to get a better understanding of my par numbers and dial them in for some more tricky light demanding acros, and well I was shocked.

This is the results from the first test, 2x xr15 pro on rms arms over a 3ft tank.
A7754135-C4D7-4478-BE02-3F8A4C851CF9.jpeg

This is with all channels and intensity set to 100%
AE14A2D2-6CB3-49E3-A519-34B5056070E4.jpeg

This is a single hydra 32 mounted over a different system I own.
2612C5C9-0B9C-4722-854C-3BD42129FB9A.jpeg

as I am sure you can imagine ecotech support blamed everything bar themselves, the par meter, my water being yellow. My ability to use the par meter. I sent back various counter arguments from this forum and others where people had also conducted tests. The interesting one was the g6 xr15 vs xr30 the results were crazy.

anyway moving on I got no support from them, so binned the lights off and went with a reef flare pro from reef factory. I conducted the same tests again. Same system, same par meter, same yellow water and the same inept user

lights set to 20% intensity running a similar schedule to ab+, you might notice some similarities here:
F0ED0575-85B5-4C44-B0A2-0AA7BD78BA8D.jpeg

Now set to 75% intensity:
A8379CC4-B744-4E9E-9E5F-2DC52481A347.jpeg

All in all I think ecotech should have marketed these lights to a shallow reef setup for sps or a lps / softy system. And BRS need to do a better job to not mislead potential customers as the results obtained by many now do not align with their findings. It’s almost as if they are all part of the same group……….

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I’ve lurked and used this forum over the years for research but decided today to join up, as I have been using the thread on this forum for my argument about how under powered the g6 xr15 is in my argument with ecotech.

I bought the parwise when it hit the uk recently as the apogee isn’t readily available over here. I wanted to get a better understanding of my par numbers and dial them in for some more tricky light demanding acros, and well I was shocked.

This is the results from the first test, 2x xr15 pro on rms arms over a 3ft tank.
A7754135-C4D7-4478-BE02-3F8A4C851CF9.jpeg

This is with all channels and intensity set to 100%
AE14A2D2-6CB3-49E3-A519-34B5056070E4.jpeg

This is a single hydra 32 mounted over a different system I own.
2612C5C9-0B9C-4722-854C-3BD42129FB9A.jpeg

as I am sure you can imagine ecotech support blamed everything bar themselves, the par meter, my water being yellow. My ability to use the par meter. I sent back various counter arguments from this forum and others where people had also conducted tests. The interesting one was the g6 xr15 vs xr30 the results were crazy.

anyway moving on I got no support from them, so binned the lights off and went with a reef flare pro from reef factory. I conducted the same tests again. Same system, same par meter, same yellow water and the same inept user

lights set to 20% intensity running a similar schedule to ab+, you might notice some similarities here:
F0ED0575-85B5-4C44-B0A2-0AA7BD78BA8D.jpeg

Now set to 75% intensity:
A8379CC4-B744-4E9E-9E5F-2DC52481A347.jpeg

All in all I think ecotech should have marketed these lights to a shallow reef setup for sps or a lps / softy system. And BRS need to do a better job to not mislead potential customers as the results obtained by many now do not align with their findings. It’s almost as if they are all part of the same group……….

According to Ecotech, the Radion G6 XR15 has 95 watts of power so two of them (as your test) have 190 watts, on the other side the Reef flare pro L shown on your picture has 240 watts.

Mark7616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Ecotech, the Radion G6 XR15 has 95 watts of power so two of them (as your test) have 190 watts, on the other side the Reef flare pro L shown on your picture has 240 watts.

you are correct but also clutching at straws as well. The light unit should generate more than 130 par at the top of the rocks at 85%.

2 units of xr15 running all channels at 100, with 100% intensity hit 181 par. The same test on the reef flare generated over 750 par, I didn’t get the extra 570 par from the extra 50 watts.

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are correct but also clutching at straws as well. The light unit should generate more than 130 par at the top of the rocks at 85%.

2 units of xr15 running all channels at 100, with 100% intensity hit 181 par. The same test on the reef flare generated over 750 par, I didn’t get the extra 570 par from the extra 50 watts.

Remember that Radions have reflectors that are supposed to spread the lights more evenly, so I'm not sure if that could be the reason why are you getting par so low.

A little bit off topic, have you tried ReeFi ?

Mark7616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried it no.

The main point is regardless or spread, or optics etc. These lights are not marketed at only being able to keep LPS and softy’s. In fact BRS have done a whole video on unachievable par numbers.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have not tried it no.

The main point is regardless or spread, or optics etc. These lights are not marketed at only being able to keep LPS and softy’s. In fact BRS have done a whole video on unachievable par numbers.
I am very curious how BRS got these numbers, as nobody else in the industry is able to achieve this

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried it no.

Good point, they have the same owner, but curiously, Hydras doesn't seem to have those low numbers.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good point, they have the same owner, but curiously, Hydras doesn't seem to have those low numbers.
I am getting a warranty exchange for 4 units i am curious to see the numbers from g5 blue to g6 blue. I will do some par measurements at a few points on both to see what the numbers are. I have the seneye i know its ok in terms of measurements. I guess comparing both with same meter will see. Hope not making a mistake changing these out to g6. I have a total 5 units on my tank. I would have to upgrade or buy a g6 blue to replace the 5th one to make sure they all same spectrum.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back