Ecotech Radion G6?

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One one hand - get it, it's new, it's shiny, we love spending monayyyyy!!

On the other hand - wwait, stop. why? buy more corals instead and enjoy the G5 :)
I must say though, i ditched the Kessil A360X for a G5 Pro, and one thing i noticed was less fluorescent pop late at night. Thought it was me just imagining things because everybody's raving about the Radion pop and that Kessil has not so much pop.
Lol, i guess i was right. The A360X has more fluorescent pop than the G5.
Ecotech knows it and they had to improve. :)

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently breaking down a few tanks for various reasons, and setting up a Red Sea S-1000, which will be my only tank. I'm already selling several of my Radion XR30 G5 and XR15 G5 lights, but I plan to keep enough for the S-1000 (unless I decide to go with ATI Stratons or Straton Pros). The S-1000 is roughly 83"x27"x26" and will be a predominately SPS mixed reef.

Ideally, I would prefer smaller and less lights due to aesthetics of a rimless tank. With the increased spread of the G6, would XR15s make more sense now, or would I still be looking at XR30s to prevent shadowing? I currently have (5) XR30 G5 Radions over my 900 3XL. Any chance 3 or 4 XR15 G6 Radions could cover the tank? Or maybe even 3 or 4 XR30 G6 Radions?

Still thinking of replacing the Radions altogether and going with Stratons. I wonder how the G6 compares to the Straton?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought two XR30 gen 5s for my Red Sea Reefer 350 (4 feet by 18inches). They are new in box still so going to return them for 6s. I just read that a single gen 6 XR30 can cover a full 4 feet. Do you think 1 of these would be enough? I’m going to be running SPS only so I doubt it is. Is two of the new xr30 gen 6s too much? Would I be better off with three xr15s?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently breaking down a few tanks for various reasons, and setting up a Red Sea S-1000, which will be my only tank. I'm already selling several of my Radion XR30 G5 and XR15 G5 lights, but I plan to keep enough for the S-1000 (unless I decide to go with ATI Stratons or Straton Pros). The S-1000 is roughly 83"x27"x26" and will be a predominately SPS mixed reef.

Ideally, I would prefer smaller and less lights due to aesthetics of a rimless tank. With the increased spread of the G6, would XR15s make more sense now, or would I still be looking at XR30s to prevent shadowing? I currently have (5) XR30 G5 Radions over my 900 3XL. Any chance 3 or 4 XR15 G6 Radions could cover the tank? Or maybe even 3 or 4 XR30 G6 Radions?

Still thinking of replacing the Radions altogether and going with Stratons. I wonder how the G6 compares to the Straton?

You can probably save some angst now because you will not be getting any Straton Pro's anytime soon. This is per ATI in a thread here somewhere. Supply and demand - EMEA first so you will be waiting.

Unless something has changed.

Captain_spikes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, Its been about 1.5 years on the G5 and I was wondering if there was any news out there on the G6? Looking to upgrade and would expect that when I purchaser some XR30 Blues the new G6 will be unveiled. I obviously would like to avoid this since they always come out around $800... Also since the G5 is the first with the new LED layout I would think the feedback from testing would warrant a release a bit sooner (and with the most updates)

G1 Sept 2011 and the Pro Sept 2012 (I wasnt sure how it came out after the G2 but I do recall hearing about the pro later on, here https://reefs.com/magazine/product-review-ecotech-marine-radion-xr30w-pro/ )
G2 Jan 2012
G3 Jan 2014
G4 Aug 2016
G5 Jan 2020
G6... Jan 2022? any thoughts?

They are out and how do u like the 5s? And u can buy a new led pack for your 5s that make them a 6 btw... so u don't need to drop the big $$$$

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1652737531083.gif

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably save some angst now because you will not be getting any Straton Pro's anytime soon. This is per ATI in a thread here somewhere. Supply and demand - EMEA first so you will be waiting.

Unless something has changed.
You can always buy from Germany and have them shipped... just need to swap the power cord.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

You will need 4 of the XR30 G6s turned sideways. The 15 will not cover 27" front to back. I love the idea of the Straton but they are all but impossible to hang cleanly here in the US. The Pros will not be coming to the US anytime soon according to ATI. They can't even produce enough for the European market.

I just bought two XR30 gen 5s for my Red Sea Reefer 350 (4 feet by 18inches). They are new in box still so going to return them for 6s. I just read that a single gen 6 XR30 can cover a full 4 feet. Do you think 1 of these would be enough? I’m going to be running SPS only so I doubt it is. Is two of the new xr30 gen 6s too much? Would I be better off with three xr15s?

The 30 will not cover a 4 foot SPS tank. It will still take 2 30's or 3 15s

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need 4 of the XR30 G6s turned sideways. The 15 will not cover 27" front to back. I love the idea of the Straton but they are all but impossible to hang cleanly here in the US. The Pros will not be coming to the US anytime soon according to ATI. They can't even produce enough for the European market.

The BRS video showed only a 10% par drop off for a 24” cube. An XR15 G6 should easily cover 27” according to that video. Might even cover 36” if you don’t have SPS right to both edges.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer 625xxl with 2 g5 xr15s and reefbrite add ONS. Mixed with plenty of sps. This is just before moonlight. So it can be done with just 2.
IMG_20220515_200336890_MP.jpg

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you say "turned sideways," do you mean lengthwise of the fixture from the front to back of the tank, or from side to side of the tank?

The BRS video showed only a 10% par drop off for a 24” cube. An XR15 G6 should easily cover 27” according to that video. Might even cover 36” if you don’t have SPS right to both edges.

That's what I was thinking. If a G6 XR15 is good for 24"x24" it could probably do 27"x27" (I would need 3), and since a G6 XR30 is rectangular, it should be good for a rectangular spread... maybe 29"x24" (I would still need 3) or even 32"x27" (I would still need 3). Maybe 4 XR30 G6 (lengthwise front to back) would cover it... my 5 now might be overkill. However, when a light fixture is overlapped with another one, I assume there is an increase, so maybe they can be spread out more.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is another incidence of a manufacturer and a retailer providing a completely useless statistic. Lateral light spread from a single source in an empty tank has basically no merit to operating a real reef tank where there are rocks and where corals self shade. To get real world usable spread you need either larger light sources, or more light sources. I think that is the chief concern here. Unless someone is operating a frag tank of nothing but zoas and favia (corals less apt to self shading) arranged on a flat surface (giant frag rack), the maximum usable spread of any led fixture should almost be thrown out the window. This is basically why reef brite, quanta, Orphek, and the like are all making a killing right now, because they are solving the Achilles heel of leds, by providing primary light source coming from the edges of the tank.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ecotech has claimed 32*24 spread out of the 30 for years and it doesn't hold true in real world experience.

Even then light is only coming from one direction. Ecotech needs larger panels, not a wider spread for better coverage

JetsIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 2 G5 XR15 Pro’s that I haven’t used - should I exchange them for the G6’s?
I’m in the same boat. New to the hobby and working on purchases for my first reef tank. Saved a few bucks during the sale from earlier this month. Worth it to return the G5s (likely minus a restocking fee?) and buy the G6s (at full price)?

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is another incidence of a manufacturer and a retailer providing a completely useless statistic.
You do know that BRS bought Ecotech last year, and Bertram owns both of them, as well as others. That means the manufacturer and retailer are essentially one and the same.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do know that BRS bought Ecotech last year, and Bertram owns both of them, as well as others. That means the manufacturer and retailer are essentially one and the same.
Bertram bought ecotech. Not BRS. BRS is not the manufacturer. And the same concept can be applied to literally any brand led they sell. Not just ecotech

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back