Ecotech Radion G6?

Wildreefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Miss the days of t5. Just like a house phone, 10 years old and reliable. Now these leds are like cell phones, always a new excuse to get the newer phone because of some camera pixel nonsense , or .25 inch bigger screen

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

Bpb

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Doubtful. They've figured they sell more new models if the only upgrade is to buy all new.

The article literally stated they’re offering a PCB upgrade which will be backwards compatible with the gen5 housings. The question wasn’t whether the upgrade would be possible, but rather if you would be able to move laterally from blue to pro or pro to blue. I could once again be misinterpreting your comment though.

To the subject of upgrading. I don’t see why not. It wouldn’t make any logical sense for a pro6 upgrade from a blue5 to not work. The geometry is the same

Napoliandy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It is my understanding that
I'd be interested in the possibility of going from pro to blue if I could just swap out a part. :) Otherwise, my G5 grows my corals too well to justify new lights.
It’s my understanding that they are considering upgrade kits, so maybe. I just bought two G5’s and I’m hoping for it. Everybody’s already putting there’s up for sale.

crit21

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I wonder what justification they'll use to call it an upgrade from the G5s. Spectrum? Wattage? Compatibility? It seems the generations before G5 were all about spectrum and wattage.

Corals.com

Bpb

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I wonder what justification they'll use to call it an upgrade from the G5s. Spectrum? Wattage? Compatibility? It seems the generations before G5 were all about spectrum and wattage.

Spectrum and lens change. Wattage is the same

Rando

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Ecotech probably still had a lot of blue LEDs left. A G6 was probably planned, but certainly not how they want to sell it now. There are no goods from China, so ..

it was this terrible light of the G5 Blue that made me switch to the G5 Pro. I'll do a heck and upgrade this Pro to G6! Especially not for that much money per kit!

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The article literally stated they’re offering a PCB upgrade which will be backwards compatible with the gen5 housings. The question wasn’t whether the upgrade would be possible, but rather if you would be able to move laterally from blue to pro or pro to blue. I could once again be misinterpreting your comment though.

To the subject of upgrading. I don’t see why not. It wouldn’t make any logical sense for a pro6 upgrade from a blue5 to not work. The geometry is the same
I believe the answer is yes, since you replace the whole LED assembly. Whether or not Mobius would recognize this is anyone's guess, though.

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
it was this terrible light of the G5 Blue that made me switch to the G5 Pro. I'll do a heck and upgrade this Pro to G6! Especially not for that much money per kit!
It probably has less to do with supply and more to do with the fact that they're pushing the limits of what they can accomplish in that configuration/housing. Many of their competitors are offering more spread, so it isn't surprising that they've followed suit with the g6.

I agree that the G5>G6 upgrade price is a tad steep. Maybe we'll see an XR60...

Harold999

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Miss the days of t5. Just like a house phone, 10 years old and reliable. Now these leds are like cell phones, always a new excuse to get the newer phone because of some camera pixel nonsense , or .25 inch bigger screen
Yeah, t5 bulbs last 10 years, you don't have to replace them every 18 months.

REEFTIDE

Harold999

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
$199 and $399 for the XR15/XR30 G6 upgrade kits. I'll probably just sell the three G5s I have and replace them with a pair of G6s that have more spread.
I guess the upgrade kit will give you the same spread as a G6.
A pro of the upgrade kit is that you can switch back if you don't like the color spectrum.

cmoore806

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
haaa, i have a Xs Max…
… patiently waiting on the 13 pro max!

buying new phones every year
is such a disrespectful misuse
of limited resources!

really, any electronics before it’s useful life.

planned obsolescence is some
capitalist horse ****
Rookie. I have an iPhone 8 still. Money goes to the family and the reef

crit21

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Spectrum and lens change. Wattage is the same
Funny that they haven't been able to figure out the lenses after this long. The HEI lenses were supposed to have fixed everything. Then came the diffusers. By changing optics, are they admitting they still can't figure it out? Optics are a science, so they should be able to tell the lens producers exactly what is needed.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer