Ecotech Radion G6?

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, Its been about 1.5 years on the G5 and I was wondering if there was any news out there on the G6? Looking to upgrade and would expect that when I purchaser some XR30 Blues the new G6 will be unveiled. I obviously would like to avoid this since they always come out around $800... Also since the G5 is the first with the new LED layout I would think the feedback from testing would warrant a release a bit sooner (and with the most updates)

G1 Sept 2011 and the Pro Sept 2012 (I wasnt sure how it came out after the G2 but I do recall hearing about the pro later on, here https://reefs.com/magazine/product-review-ecotech-marine-radion-xr30w-pro/ )
G2 Jan 2012
G3 Jan 2014
G4 Aug 2016
G5 Jan 2020
G6... Jan 2022? any thoughts?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it been more than a year already .....

I'd actually expect the time between generations to be longer not shorter as LED use on reef tanks matures.

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sir

Hopefully the next thing ETM is working on is releasing WiFI controllability for Mobius.
They might be. ;)

The G5 just came out, it hasn't even been broken in yet. The 1st generation thru g4 was the same with upgrades, the G5 was a big update for Ecotech and brought forth a whole new Radion light. Lets see what it can do first before asking to spend more money. :)

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re safe to buy gen5 lights. The amount of improvement to gen6 can’t be too massive. And they’re still new enough that you’d be holding off a while waiting on gen6. I’d buy a light you intend to use for 5 years at least, which case you’ll be witnessing a couple upgrades happen over that course of time. If you must upgrade your leds every time a new anything comes out...you’re not a reef tank hobbyist. You’re an led hobbyist

Off topic, but would be nice if they could manage to keep their versa pumps in stock.

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sir

Hopefully the next thing ETM is working on is releasing WiFI controllability for Mobius.
Any idea when that update will be coming? The black chips have the wifi capabilities, you’d expect this to be out by now, they must be waiting on another release... but what could that be???

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, Its been about 1.5 years on the G5 and I was wondering if there was any news out there on the G6? Looking to upgrade and would expect that when I purchaser some XR30 Blues the new G6 will be unveiled. I obviously would like to avoid this since they always come out around $800... Also since the G5 is the first with the new LED layout I would think the feedback from testing would warrant a release a bit sooner (and with the most updates)

G1 Sept 2011 and the Pro Sept 2012 (I wasnt sure how it came out after the G2 but I do recall hearing about the pro later on, here https://reefs.com/magazine/product-review-ecotech-marine-radion-xr30w-pro/ )
G2 Jan 2012
G3 Jan 2014
G4 Aug 2016
G5 Jan 2020
G6... Jan 2022? any thoughts?
They have not even finished all the updates on the G5’s. Even if there is a G6 on the horizon it won’t be much different.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re safe to buy gen5 lights. The amount of improvement to gen6 can’t be too massive. And they’re still new enough that you’d be holding off a while waiting on gen6. I’d buy a light you intend to use for 5 years at least, which case you’ll be witnessing a couple upgrades happen over that course of time. If you must upgrade your leds every time a new anything comes out...you’re not a reef tank hobbyist. You’re an led hobbyist

Off topic, but would be nice if they could manage to keep their versa pumps in stock.

Can i get an AMEN on the Versa! Seriously. Got an in stock notice about a week ago, when i logged in to add to my cart, they were already gone.

As far as lighting goes, id hold off just a little. Just to see if the Sky lives up to its hype. From what Ive read its kind of like Coral Care meets Radion.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Reminds me of iPhone fans. I had an 10sMax. Waited till Iphine12 Pros to buy another.
haaa, i have a Xs Max…
… patiently waiting on the 13 pro max!

buying new phones every year
is such a disrespectful misuse
of limited resources!

really, any electronics before it’s useful life.

planned obsolescence is some
capitalist horse ****

Last edited:

bigfish1152

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
planned obsolescence is some
capitalist horse ****

And to add insult to injury, we know what spectrum we need, they know how to make diff color diodes but they CANT get the perfect spectrum needed?

Why they playing with us? Where is Genghis Khan to straighten this out when you need him???

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what's being released next from ETM

Screenshot_20210923-192839_Mobius.jpg

familiar1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold off and wait and see what G6 looks like.

I have 5 G5 blues currently, but prefer the G4 I had previously. They were significantly quieter, more reliable, included WiFi, and I prefer their spread as well. I measured par values on my G5 and got inconsistent readings like 30% deviation from one light to another (exact same settings, exact same locations of light and measurement equipment, exact same power supply). Shows huge quality control issue.

The G5 to me is a lower quality, cut manufacturing cost, product.

Im hoping ecotech addresses all of the issues with the G5 and doesn’t hold off long on the G6!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back