Ecotech Radion Light Upgrade

MEPAWN35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am going to be looking to finally upgrade my lights on my tanks. My 240 gallon has 3 radion XR30 g2 with a 4 bulb aquatic life t5 fixture hanging all of them and my 45 gallon long frag tank has 2 radion XR30 g2 pros on the RMS mount arms. I was mainly looking at upgrading the frag tank lights to 2 G5s or for the same price I may be able to upgrade all my radions to G4s.
Obviously there will be a huge improvement either way, but is the G5 really that much better than the G4? Im kind of leaning to the G4 for the quality aspects as the G5s seem to get cracked cases but as for light spread im leaning to the G5s.

Mind you im currently mainly focused on upgrading the frag tank to better my coral growth.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
You'll find a bunch if youtube videos doing a direct comparison of the 2.

The Crack cases issue has been resolved. Mine is perfectly fine.

I upgraded from G4's and haven't use my G5's yet. The spread is better on the G5's from my research. You can't go wrong with either.

OP
OP
MEPAWN35

MEPAWN35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll find a bunch if youtube videos doing a direct comparison of the 2.

The Crack cases issue has been resolved. Mine is perfectly fine.

I upgraded from G4's and haven't use my G5's yet. The spread is better on the G5's from my research. You can't go wrong with either.
Yeah i guess im just wondering is the $250 price difference between each really worth it or will there be that huge of a difference

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LEDs last around 5 years. Some shorter, some longer but 5 years is looking to be the norm.

Unless the G4s are newer, they're at least 2-3 years old at this point and likely halfway through their life. So yes, you save money today but spend a lot more in a couple years.

The G5s can be mounted lower and have much better spread and blending. They don't need the diffuser to fight off the disco ball effect.

On the flip side, if you need to mount the lights higher, the G4 is a better light for that.

OP
OP
MEPAWN35

MEPAWN35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LEDs last around 5 years. Some shorter, some longer but 5 years is looking to be the norm.

Unless the G4s are newer, they're at least 2-3 years old at this point and likely halfway through their life. So yes, you save money today but spend a lot more in a couple years.

The G5s can be mounted lower and have much better spread and blending. They don't need the diffuser to fight off the disco ball effect.

On the flip side, if you need to mount the lights higher, the G4 is a better light for that.
I planned on mounting either light on the rms arm mounts so the height is fixed based on those.

My current G2 radions are about 9 years old running strong still

I could get each G4 for roughly 400-500 each were the G5 are about 750+ each

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back