Ecotech releasing a powerbar?

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralvue is using the same approach for thier controller.

We are excited to see what they come out with. Both companies appear to agree that a distributed network of smart aquarium devices is preferable to a centralized network.

BeforeAfter_OldWay.png
BeforeAfter_Newway-1.png

CENTRALIZED
  • Devices can only be connected to a central brain.
  • You can’t use any of the devices unless you buy a brain.
  • No single point of failure. Add backup devices for fault tolerance.
DISTRIBUTED
  • Devices are independent and interconnected with each other.
  • You can use any device by itself or as part of a larger system.
  • No single point of failure. Add backup devices for fault tolerance.

By this time next year, there will be thousands of hobbyists benefiting from aquarium control platforms for the first time. Not only affluent or avid aquarium owners, but casual fishkeepers. Families. Freshwater folks. In an age where young people are less likely to discover the wonder of aquatic life inside a local fish store, I am concerned about the future of our industry. I would love to see the growth we've observed in the last decade continue. Making technology like this available at affordable prices so more people can succeed gives me hope it will.

CoralVue owns both ecotech and AI

Keep spreading that rumor. They are smart engineers.

Don't forget to add Neptune as well. Coralvue owns them all.

Pass.

malfist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep spreading that rumor. They are smart engineers.

Ah, I misunderstood your website. Under brands you list both "AquaIllumination" and "EcoTech" I thought they were brands owned by CoralVue, not brands you distributed. My mistake.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't wrap my mind around the idea that folks will defend an antiquated technology and bash a seemingly better approach.

Some companies will latch onto and double down to build onto their existing platform only to dig their own graves. Instead of moving forward they come up with clever work arounds to get their software to perform some pseudo task instead of adopting boolean logic.

I like the idea that reef link wasnt doubled down on, that limitations were realized and the hard decision was made to step away from that and invest in a better platform, it shows forward thinking.

And to circle back and ask why folks defend old technology? The world doesn't stand still, technology keeps improving and so should the approach on tank controllers. The ones that are afraid of change latch onto old ideas and defend that they're tried and true, why reinvent something that is working? I find that to be a narrow minded way of thinking. In 1899 Charles Duell (Commissioner of US patent office) is credited with saying, "everything that can be invented has been invented". Yet 220 years later we are seeing some amazing new ideas pop up all the time. Why bury your head in the sand and keep with the status quo? Don't you want to see technology continua to evolve our hobby?

malfist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't wrap my mind around the idea that folks will defend an antiquated technology and bash a seemingly better approach.

Some companies will latch onto and double down to build onto their existing platform only to dig their own graves. Instead of moving forward they come up with clever work arounds to get their software to perform some pseudo task instead of adopting boolean logic.

I like the idea that reef link wasnt doubled down on, that limitations were realized and the hard decision was made to step away from that and invest in a better platform, it shows forward thinking.

And to circle back and ask why folks defend old technology? The world doesn't stand still, technology keeps improving and so should the approach on tank controllers. The ones that are afraid of change latch onto old ideas and defend that they're tried and true, why reinvent something that is working? I find that to be a narrow minded way of thinking. In 1899 Charles Duell (Commissioner of US patent office) is credited with saying, "everything that can be invented has been invented". Yet 220 years later we are seeing some amazing new ideas pop up all the time. Why bury your head in the sand and keep with the status quo? Don't you want to see technology continua to evolve our hobby?

I'm not bashing them because they're using a new technology. I'm bashing them because they don't know how to use a technology (in this case, radio communications) and replacing the radio in this situation isn't going to fix the issue, because the issue isn't the radio, it's how they're using it.

Say you're a farmer, and you can't get your corn to grow because you're planting it in sand. Switching from an oxen pulled plow to a tracker pulled plow isn't going to make your corn grow because you fundamentally don't understand how to make corn grow.

Yeah, it's great that they're switching to wifi, which has a standard, over a RF module that proprietary, but my beef with them isn't over the radio frequency they're using. My beef with them is how unreliable their radios are in general. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a customer of theirs, I have 6 G4 XR15's over a 315 gallon and a G4 XR30 over my 65 gallon, and that was after having the G3's over the 220 (which got upgraded to the 315). Their lights are solid, but their radios are utter crap, and for as much as they cost and how solve of an issue this is for everyone else they really should do a better job.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I misunderstood your website. Under brands you list both "AquaIllumination" and "EcoTech" I thought they were brands owned by CoralVue, not brands you distributed. My mistake.

No worries. CoralVue has historically been a B2B wholesale/distribution company. We are the exclusive distribution partner for most of the brands we carry, but we offer other brands too to service the needs of our customers. We have house brands as well that you'll see new things from in 2021 in categories that lack competition right now. HYDROS is our first full-fledged foray into manufacturing where we assemble everything in-house. It's a lot of work and we've made a handful of hires in the past year to improve services and speed innovation. The next year is going to be very exciting for us and we'll be in a brand new building that was designed for the CoralVue of today since we've outgrown our current location and have been forced to occupy other buildings on our cul-de-sac just to store all the inventory. Efficiency will improve in so many ways once everything is under one roof. If you're ever in Louisiana, you are always welcome to stop by for a tour.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back