Ecotech Versa Replacement Tubing Alternative

jfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What kind of tubing are people using to replace the Ecotech Versa tubing? Almost $20 and replacing every couple of months is getting crazy.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally ditched the Tygon E 1000 and replaced it with a smaller diameter PharMed tube. (1/8ID 1/4OD)

The resiliency of the E1000 doesn't seem to hold up when used continuously.

Because it's a stiffer peristaltic tube, the diameter had to be smaller, however the difference in calibration is minimal.

I really only use versa for awc (16ml/min continuous) and CaRx (24ml/min). I've been using them in this configuration for almost 3 years. And I've yet to replace the tube.

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally ditched the Tygon E 1000 and replaced it with a smaller diameter PharMed tube. (1/8ID 1/4OD)

Because it's a stiffer peristaltic tube, the diameter had to be smaller, however the difference in calibration is minimal.

I really only use versa for awc (16ml/min continuous) and CaRx (24ml/min). I've been using them in this configuration for almost 3 years. And I've yet to replace the tube.
Do your pumps ever stop? I have concerns that the stiffer tube won't fully close at the contact points this creating the opportunity for a siphon. Otherwise this sounds perfect

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your pumps ever stop? I have concerns that the stiffer tube won't fully close at the contact points this creating the opportunity for a siphon. Otherwise this sounds perfect
Excellent question.

What you're describing is the occlusion, which is the distance from the roller and the wall that pinches the tube.

Even though the 2 tubes are different sizes, the material thickness of the 2 tubes are the same when pinched, thus requiring the same occlusion.

To answer your questions, even using it as a dosing pump, the risks of it siphoning is exactly the same regardless of tube size.

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent question.

What you're describing is the occlusion, which is the distance from the roller and the wall that pinches the tube.

Even though the 2 tubes are different sizes, the material thickness of the 2 tubes are the same when pinched, thus requiring the same occlusion.

To answer your questions, even using it as a dosing pump, the risks of it siphoning is exactly the same regardless of tube size.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

I ask because I tried using some 3rd party tubing for alkatronic does head replacement and then had problems with my readings which turned out to be this issue.

TigerReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experienced a similar situation with my GHL doser tubing losing pliability over time. I disassembled the dosing heads and soaked the doser tubing in HOT, HOT water w/ a drop of mild dishwashing liquid (Dawn brand in the US). Let it soak for about 30 minutes, rinse and reassemble. It helped to remove the yellow staining and restored the tube's pliability. Perhaps a short-term/maintenance fix?

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Is this what you purchased?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this what you purchased?
No... this one:

102ttran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wonder if this going to have a different affect with high ph since your carx is low ph.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this a while back and finally got around to (attempting to) replace the tube in one of my pumps since it's not moving any water and I don't think it's the lines running to and from the pump. The pump tubing does have some crease marks on it, but I'm not seeing any actual breaks (yet).

On the assumption that I'm not doing something else wrong, it doesn't work. The pump starts to turn, and then binds up and backs off after a few seconds. It still spins with the original tube (or with nothing) and hopefully the odd noise it's making is because I've never stood this close to it, without the cover on and paid such close attention to the various sounds.
I was going to put the original tube back on, but after all the time it took to re-use those steel clips, my hands weren't up to doing it again. I'm hoping the plastic hose clamps I have will fit under the cover. I don't want to be fighting with zip ties covered in grease.

The only other thing I could think of is that if the hose I made is just a few mms too short and the problem isn't that the roller can't squeeze it hard enough to get past it, it could be that it can't stretch it far enough.

I was just going to buy an actual OEM tube replacement so I can get the pump up and running again (and then replace the tubing at my leisure and use it in another pump), but for $19. I'll work on it for a few more days first.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this a while back and finally got around to (attempting to) replace the tube in one of my pumps since it's not moving any water and I don't think it's the lines running to and from the pump. The pump tubing does have some crease marks on it, but I'm not seeing any actual breaks (yet).

On the assumption that I'm not doing something else wrong, it doesn't work. The pump starts to turn, and then binds up and backs off after a few seconds. It still spins with the original tube (or with nothing) and hopefully the odd noise it's making is because I've never stood this close to it, without the cover on and paid such close attention to the various sounds.
I was going to put the original tube back on, but after all the time it took to re-use those steel clips, my hands weren't up to doing it again. I'm hoping the plastic hose clamps I have will fit under the cover. I don't want to be fighting with zip ties covered in grease.

The only other thing I could think of is that if the hose I made is just a few mms too short and the problem isn't that the roller can't squeeze it hard enough to get past it, it could be that it can't stretch it far enough.

I was just going to buy an actual OEM tube replacement so I can get the pump up and running again (and then replace the tubing at my leisure and use it in another pump), but for $19. I'll work on it for a few more days first.
I think the issue you're experiencing is due to the fact that although the tube measurements are correct,the silicone tube isn't designed for peristaltic pumps.

What the pump is doing is stalling out because the drag exceeds what the versa is capable of. This can be from a number of reasons, elasticity, wall thickness, length etc.

If you want to save money and just replace the tube, the video in the 2nd post explains exactly what tube ecotech uses. It's available from us plastics dot com. But they may have a limit as to minimum length you can order (kind of their catch 22).

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the issue you're experiencing is due to the fact that although the tube measurements are correct,the silicone tube isn't designed for peristaltic pumps.

What the pump is doing is stalling out because the drag exceeds what the versa is capable of. This can be from a number of reasons, elasticity, wall thickness, length etc.

If you want to save money and just replace the tube, the video in the 2nd post explains exactly what tube ecotech uses. It's available from us plastics dot com. But they may have a limit as to minimum length you can order (kind of their catch 22).
Both the Tygon E-1000 and the Pharmed are out of stock at least from there. I ended up ordering this, which, now that I look at it, is the same Tygon E-1000.
I guess we'll find out tomorrow if it works.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey joe, let us know.
Did it work? Be nice to have a low cost tube replacement option.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back