Editing a Post

Quartapound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure the approach to not being allowed to edit posts without becoming a paying member truly benefits the forum as a whole.

I understand the need to restrict people from deleting massive amounts of information, but the value of being able to edit posts to correct errors outweighs this in my opinion(as the latter would happen far more frequently). It doesn't truly benefit the user editing the post(or paying for the privilege to do so), but the other forum readers who want to go through threads without a bunch of broken links, missing pictures, spelling errors or forgotten information.

I think the ability to edit posts benefits the Forum more than the individual and therefore shouldn't be a paid feature

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure the approach to not being allowed to edit posts without becoming a paying member truly benefits the forum as a whole.

I understand the need to restrict people from deleting massive amounts of information, but the value of being able to edit posts to correct errors outweighs this in my opinion, doesn't truly benefit the user editing the post(or paying for the privilege), but the other forum readers who want to go through threads without a bunch of broken links, missing pictures, spelling errors or forgotten information.

I think the ability to edit posts benefits the Forum more than the individual and therefore shouldn't be a paid feature

Thank you for the feedback and we will definitely review it!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this an update? I joined in November and I believe you could edit your post within the first hour for non paying members. Sorry if I'm behind the times...

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this an update? I joined in November and I believe you could edit your post within the first hour for non paying members. Sorry if I'm behind the times...
The new forum software changed the old rules a couple years ago; the edit window is 5 minutes for non-paying members.

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new forum software changed the old rules a couple years ago; the edit window is 5 minutes for non-paying members.
Five minutes!? Holy smokes, that is a short window. Granted probably 95% of my edits are within seconds after posting and realizing I misspelled something...

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey it's a nice perk and the whole thing jut cost $0.07 a day! Ha!

Don't get me wrong, it's not a lot of money and I will do it one of these days, just have been lazy. But not everyone will. So on one side - it generates some revenue, on another, it prevents information cleansing.

OP
OP
Quartapound

Quartapound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem, when it comes down to it, is that it lowers the quality of the threads and posts on the site.

The main reason people use forums is to share information. Why would you want to limit the ability to provide the most accurate information possible? As I mentioned previously, I believe the ones who benefit most from the ability to edit(anyone who reads the forum) are not the ones who pay for the ability to edit (R2R supporters), which doesn't make sense.

I would like to point out that while it's not a lot of money, I don't think limiting the basic functions integral to an efficient, effective forum are the way to boost revenue. I'm not going to pretend to know what it costs to run a website of this size, but I'd have to imagine there's other ways to increase revenue and boost perceived value for R2R supporters.

While still on the topic of money, although 7 cents a day doesn't sound like much, if I felt like I needed 'privileged/premium' features on all the forums I'm registered with online, I'd probably be spending over $1000 a year.

I'd be surprised if 'information cleansing' became an issue as a result, and I would think the benefits outweigh the risk imo.

...Just my 2 cents!

OP
OP
Quartapound

Quartapound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides spelling or grammatical errors what information couldn't be corrected by just posting again in the thread?
Maybe pictures and links... not to mention if there's information that needs "correcting" that means you need to hope that person sifts through every post and reads the entire thread to find the corrected bit of information later down the thread.

When starting a build thread it's nice to be able to use the first post (or the 2nd/third post made as 'place holders') as a place to correlate everything and keep people up to date on your tank without having them comb through thousands of posts.

I'm sure there are other scenarios

Clayalaleona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the main reason I paid up... imo it's a great way to generate some cash flow to the website.
At the end of the day it's a privilege, they shouldn't have to change that.
If there's a broken link or some issue that you can't change within five minutes I'm sure one can contact a mod and request that they edit it

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem, when it comes down to it, is that it lowers the quality of the threads and posts on the site.

The main reason people use forums is to share information. Why would you want to limit the ability to provide the most accurate information possible? As I mentioned previously, I believe the ones who benefit most from the ability to edit(anyone who reads the forum) are not the ones who pay for the ability to edit (R2R supporters), which doesn't make sense.

I would like to point out that while it's not a lot of money, I don't think limiting the basic functions integral to an efficient, effective forum are the way to boost revenue. I'm not going to pretend to know what it costs to run a website of this size, but I'd have to imagine there's other ways to increase revenue and boost perceived value for R2R supporters.

While still on the topic of money, although 7 cents a day doesn't sound like much, if I felt like I needed 'privileged/premium' features on all the forums I'm registered with online, I'd probably be spending over $1000 a year.

I'd be surprised if 'information cleansing' became an issue as a result, and I would think the benefits outweigh the risk imo.

...Just my 2 cents!
7 cents... ;)

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know when I read thru large threads I never go back to the original post to check for edits. I feel the best way to update info in a thread is to simply make a new post in the thread doing so.

Hans Solo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the most ridiculous thing to make us pay in order to edit posts! I had to come searching to find this thread after realizing the problem.

This DOES NOT make people want to use your forum. Not everyone wants/can give a monetary donation to every pet and hobby forum they are on, IN ORDER TO EDIT A POST! Crazy.

Please take that feature off.

Absolutely lowers the quality of older threads. I couldn't update my build thread for example and the first page is always where people look. People are less inclined to show their things off. What a dumb administrative decision. I am at a loss. There are better ways to make money, there are ads, this is just funny.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the most ridiculous thing to make us pay in order to edit posts! I had to come searching to find this thread after realizing the problem.

This DOES NOT make people want to use your forum. Not everyone wants/can give a monetary donation to every pet and hobby forum they are on, IN ORDER TO EDIT A POST! Crazy.

Please take that feature off.

Absolutely lowers the quality of older threads. I couldn't update my build thread for example and the first page is always where people look. People are less inclined to show their things off. What a dumb administrative decision. I am at a loss. There are better ways to make money, there are ads, this is just funny.

Please reach out to moderation if you feel that strongly about editing a post we will be more than happy to assist you. Do not know how many forums you frequent but this is pretty standard across the board. :)

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please reach out to moderation if you feel that strongly about editing a post we will be more than happy to assist you. Do not know how many forums you frequent but this is pretty standard across the board. :)

Agreed, just about every forum I've been on is like this. At least here at r2r we offer it as an option, even if it's for a small fee. Unfortunately the forum doesn't run on air haha

Hans Solo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friends, I've been on the internet pretty much it's entire modern existence and I have never come across a forum that you couldn't edit a post without paying a fee... I don't know about all the marine forums though. However, both reef central and nano reef certaintly do not make you do that and of course reefcentral is huge.

Come on guys. Editing a post after an hour costs money? Don't tell me this is common.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back