Eels as pets

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"WELL FED", what does this mean, I know what people signify it to mean. People think that if they keep their eel "well fed" that they can keep tank mates that otherwise would be inappropriate. Let me tell you why this doesn't work and why this is a bad idea. 1st, nature is nature, it may not happen today or next month, but given time, maybe in a year, it will happen. That small or wimpy fish, shrimp, or maybe even other inverts; will get eaten by that eel. The bigger issue, what does "well fed" mean, are you going to feed them everyday; small frequent meals will kill eels. Eels will develop fatty liver disease and/ digestive issues if fed small, frequent meals. If you are doing this, one of the 1st signs that something bad is going to happen, that eel starts to have hunger strikes. Eels are "gorgers", not "grazers", they need time between meals for digestion. During this time it is best to let them get hungry before feeding again. So what do you think is going to happen during this fasting time.
Perfectly said, I feed mine once a week or so till she's full. If I'm feeding the fish and she comes out all crazy it's time.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FEEDING FENZY! be careful of getting your eel(s) wrapped up in the feeding frenzy. I know it's fun and so exciting to watch the fish and eels get wrapped in the feeding frenzy, but it so very dangerous. If you are more concern with the welfare of your fish, you should be mindful of getting your eel wrapped up into a feeding frenzy with the rest of your fish. When this happens, if you have a fang tooth, the eel could easily take a chunk out of a fish, or just grab one and wrap it up under the rocks. A pebble tooth could cause serious damage with their crushing teeth and jaws, even crushing the skulls of large fish. This is not the fault of the eel, it's just nature. Eels can also be injured by fish with teeth, like triggers and puffers, sometimes these injuries turn to bacterial infections and death.

Some people are even known to chum the water to elicit a feeding response in their eels, this is a very bad idea. When keeping eels in captivity in a community tank, it's best to establish a regular feeding routine, target feeding on a reasonably consistent schedule. Most times the eel will let you know it's time for feeding, you can usually satisfy them into feeding mode by giving them some food and settling them into their feeding spot. That's another reason you target feed, rather than broadcast feed the whole tank or drop food in for the eel to fetch it on their own; along with the other points I've made about polluting the tank. Sometimes you may have to work both ends of the tank, by feeding some of your more aggressive fish away from the eel, while working the feeding tool for the eel at the other. If you are not the kind of hobbyist that is into details and nuances, you may want to rethink including an eel.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I'm on it, when it's time for the dragon to eat I always get the food to it first about 5 big shrimp so it fills up and chills instead of going all crazy, knocking over corals looking for food and grabbing a fish, although it can't eat any of the current residence in the tank it's pretty smart, luckily knowing it can't eat any of them.

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king Never saw this thread before! I heard you mention researching an eel in front of the eel in the store. I came across my boy Ivar in a store. Never seen one of these guys before. Store had the scientific name (thankfully!) and I researched him right then and there and decided he would be a good edition to my tank! I learn a lot about eels reading your posts and learning from both Ivar and Ghost about feeding rituals and what rock structures they like and other stuff . Youve been the biggest resource Ive found for eels (and lions!) and I honestly believe I have two very healthy eels due to your threads and responses to my questions. You are an excellent teacher and very knowledgable!

I also think its ironic as I saw a baby snowflake eel at my LFS today for the first time. This eel was maybe 4 inches max, little guy! So cute! A new customer to saltwater was asking about him and the owner of the store suggested a 20 gallon tank, and flakes for food. I actually turned around and was like yeah no thats not right Im sorry but no. Eels are majestic and stunning and deserve the best care they can get, couldnt let a baby go home to a 20 gallon as its forever home. Store owner even called it a “dwarf eel” and said they max out at 5 inches. Uh what? So I actually recommended them to search your name here and read your articles! Just thought I would share this story with you!

For those who dont know my eels:
Jeweled eel 14 inches his name is Ivar
Snowflake eel 12 inches, her name is Ghost

Attachments

• IMG_3803.png
    IMG_3803.png
    702.2 KB · Views: 14
  • DADB7AFD-51B0-4A36-BDAB-70EBF45A0C8A.jpeg
    DADB7AFD-51B0-4A36-BDAB-70EBF45A0C8A.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 13
  • 1DF1E254-A5BC-4AB4-AD19-9F7A9C18D068.jpeg
    1DF1E254-A5BC-4AB4-AD19-9F7A9C18D068.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 11

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back