Eels in a reef aquarium

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some good morey eels besides the zebra and ghost eel. For a reef aquarium with small fish? I rather have a morey eel since there easier to feed but what are some other good eels. I've looked at the chainlink eel and those seem to be similar to the zebra. But what are yalls recommendations?

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
few things to consider as I did this for a several year.

1. Your rock work and coral placement has to be 100% solid. Eels will knock things over and move into every hole possible.
2. They are pretty much blind so they can bite and it is bad. While it may seem easy to hand feed them they could miss and bite you.
3. If it fits in their mouth they might eat it. While not predatory of the smaller fish as they grow they could swallow a smaller fish
4. Poop.....Lots of output.

Great animal to keep but just be aware of the potential issues. Zebra, Ghost, Snowflake, chainlink, Skeletor, all are great for reef style tanks.

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
few things to consider as I did this for a several year.

1. Your rock work and coral placement has to be 100% solid. Eels will knock things over and move into every hole possible.
2. They are pretty much blind so they can bite and it is bad. While it may seem easy to hand feed them they could miss and bite you.
3. If it fits in their mouth they might eat it. While not predatory of the smaller fish as they grow they could swallow a smaller fish
4. Poop.....Lots of output.

Great animal to keep but just be aware of the potential issues. Zebra, Ghost, Snowflake, chainlink, Skeletor, all are great for reef style tanks.
I've heard of snowflake eat all the fish in a reef tank

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Golden dwarf moray is the smallest usually staying under a foot. It is more cryptic and shy though and you may never see it except feeding time. Like all eels they will try to eat almost anything you put in there. Can you keep them in a reef? Yes, sure, but you would want to only add large fishes than can defend themselves or that won't fit in the eel's very wide opening mouth. Otherwise you are risking casualties no matter how well fed you think it is. The same is true of snowflakes and other small eels but since the golden dwarf is... well... a dwarf, it's the safest.

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Golden dwarf moray is the smallest usually staying under a foot. It is more cryptic and shy though and you may never see it except feeding time. Like all eels they will try to eat almost anything you put in there. Can you keep them in a reef? Yes, sure, but you would want to only add large fishes than can defend themselves or that won't fit in the eel's very wide opening mouth. Otherwise you are risking casualties no matter how well fed you think it is. The same is true of snowflakes and other small eels but since the golden dwarf is... well... a dwarf, it's the safest.
Golden dwarfs aren't available anymore. Is there any others?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Golden dwarfs aren't available anymore. Is there any others?
snowflake is next smallest at about 2' and they are not fish eaters in the wild as much as golden dwarf eels. Their main prey is crustaceans and the shape of their mouth doesn't open to as wide an angle so might have a better chance with large fish than the dwarf. I think due to their size though this mouth shape thing is a wash or the snowflake might be slightly worse full grown.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snowflake eel get 4ft but I've heard alot of people say it ate all there fish

They don't get quite 4' but they do get get larger tank what people list them at, I've seen them over 2.5' in captivity. The snowflake is the best eel for a tank with somewhat small fish. These eels and every eel regardless of being a pebbletooth, will eat fish that they can swallow whole. Any fish kept with any eel needs to be larger their mouths. A peebletooth eel can not grab a fish and wrestle them down, so when you hear reports of a snowflake eating somewhat larger fish, that is likely an exaggeration or just repeated folklore. Where people get into trouble is when placing a larger eel direct from the ocean into their tank with fish small enough to fit into their mouths. If sized appropriately and a feeding routine is established in an observation tank prior to adding into the display, a snowflake is a good tank mate in a tank of at least 75g. There is also a barred eel that is similar is size and temperament as the snowflake. The skelator is about the same size as snowflake but a bit more aggressive and needs a larger tank as well as more medium sized tank mates. The chainlink(125g) and zebra(180G) are pebbletooths that do well in larger tanks with medium to larger tank mates. Any fang tooths are a non starter in anything less than 300g to be kept with fish, then very large fish. The dwarf can be kept in smaller tanks with the appropriate choices in tank mates.

Echo2656

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some good morey eels besides the zebra and ghost eel. For a reef aquarium with small fish? I rather have a morey eel since there easier to feed but what are some other good eels. I've looked at the chainlink eel and those seem to be similar to the zebra. But what are yalls recommendations?
Golden dwarf morays are honestly the best, even tho they are hard to find I have seen 3 websites who have them, if interested I can send links (most of the golden dwarf morays are $400-$500).

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kept a snowflake in a 29g with damsels and maroon clownfish. Never bother the fish. Did eventually eat the scarlet hermit that must have wondered outside it's shell. Hand fed it every few days. Did find it on the carpet a few times and somehow survived. Fish were fine but could just be I was lucky.

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Golden dwarf morays are honestly the best, even tho they are hard to find I have seen 3 websites who have them, if interested I can send links (most of the golden dwarf morays are $400-$500).
They don't get quite 4' but they do get get larger tank what people list them at, I've seen them over 2.5' in captivity. The snowflake is the best eel for a tank with somewhat small fish. These eels and every eel regardless of being a pebbletooth, will eat fish that they can swallow whole. Any fish kept with any eel needs to be larger their mouths. A peebletooth eel can not grab a fish and wrestle them down, so when you hear reports of a snowflake eating somewhat larger fish, that is likely an exaggeration or just repeated folklore. Where people get into trouble is when placing a larger eel direct from the ocean into their tank with fish small enough to fit into their mouths. If sized appropriately and a feeding routine is established in an observation tank prior to adding into the display, a snowflake is a good tank mate in a tank of at least 75g. There is also a barred eel that is similar is size and temperament as the snowflake. The skelator is about the same size as snowflake but a bit more aggressive and needs a larger tank as well as more medium sized tank mates. The chainlink(125g) and zebra(180G) are pebbletooths that do well in larger tanks with medium to larger tank mates. Any fang tooths are a non starter in anything less than 300g to be kept with fish, then very large fish. The dwarf can be kept in smaller tanks with the appropriate choices in tank mates.
Very good information. I too am interested in your response because I want to put a snowflake eel in the tank I am building. I have had several in the past with no issues with any fish and found that they are very docile. I think there is always an exception to the rule and that there might be some snowflakes that might be a little aggressive but I think in general they are good tank mates.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a multitude of snow flakes in the past. And even before had a dedicated zebra eel and before that a dragon eel. The snowflake is generally very friendly. I have fire fish with them in a 90g that slept on the sand bed... never even touched them. They like most eels need a super tight lid though...

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would a snowflake eel be good with small fish like a clownfish, wrasses and baby blue tang? And are the chainlink and zebra eel very similar just different colors and size? And with the banded eel would he not bother any small fish like the one mentioned? I'm trying to get more options to choose from since I'll probably be ordering one Tuesday.

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a multitude of snow flakes in the past. And even before had a dedicated zebra eel and before that a dragon eel. The snowflake is generally very friendly. I have fire fish with them in a 90g that slept on the sand bed... never even touched them. They like most eels need a super tight lid though...
Did u keep him well fed? Because my blue tang has a bed between two rock she'll go to at night.

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good information. I too am interested in your response because I want to put a snowflake eel in the tank I am building. I have had several in the past with no issues with any fish and found that they are very docile. I think there is always an exception to the rule and that there might be some snowflakes that might be a little aggressive but I think in general they are good tank mates.
I can easily get a snowflake eel for $50 and I think there babys to

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kept a snowflake in a 29g with damsels and maroon clownfish. Never bother the fish. Did eventually eat the scarlet hermit that must have wondered outside it's shell. Hand fed it every few days. Did find it on the carpet a few times and somehow survived. Fish were fine but could just be I was lucky.
I dont care about losting invertebrate, mainly just care about fish and coral

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back