Eels in a reef aquarium

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take him to hit 24" in length? My guestimate based on the video I took is that he's currently around 8" in length.
Do you plan to eventually get another system and move it to that one, with possibly larger tankmates?
That is a rare color morph so if you are willing to invest in the
Do you think if I got him hooked on mysis that would make any difference, or is it a case of born a predator - always a predator?
Mysis I'd going to be to small. Fresh chunks of clam, squid and octopus are better.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels are mostly scavengers on the reef. Large meaty chunks of food are best to feed. Use long tongs to hold it close. They will hunt if they have to but feeding live foods only encourages them to go after display fish.

Also using guppy and freshwater ghost shrimp is not providing a proper diet to them. Saltwater fish are higher in oils and nutrients that they need to maintain health. If you have to small fresh frozen silversmiths chopped up, and frozen krill are also options, but the class normally trigger the fastest feeding response.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels are mostly scavengers on the reef. Large meaty chunks of food are best to feed. Use long tongs to hold it close. They will hunt if they have to but feeding live foods only encourages them to go after display fish.

Also using guppy and freshwater ghost shrimp is not providing a proper diet to them. Saltwater fish are higher in oils and nutrients that they need to maintain health. If you have to small fresh frozen silversmiths chopped up, and frozen krill are also options, but the class normally trigger the fastest feeding response.
When the eel went 2 months without eating I offered live food. Good luck finding small saltwater feeders in Michigan, and properly gut loaded home bred guppies, along with gutloaded ghost shrimp should be a perfectly fine diet. Basically every time I tried to wean the eel onto frozen food or prekilled food it would eat a tankmate instead of getting hungry enough to eat the prekilled stuff.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan to eventually get another system and move it to that one, with possibly larger tankmates?
That is a rare color morph so if you are willing to invest in the
Possibly. So what's unique about the color in this particular specimen?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the eel went 2 months without eating I offered live food. Good luck finding small saltwater feeders in Michigan, and properly gut loaded home bred guppies, along with gutloaded ghost shrimp should be a perfectly fine diet. Basically every time I tried to wean the eel onto frozen food or prekilled food it would eat a tankmate instead of getting hungry enough to eat the prekilled stuff.
And yours was a ribbon eel as well? Even my snowflake, chainlink and Japanese dragon didn't eat tank mates.
I had both a blue and black ribbon in the same reef. They would eat from tongs. I just wiggled the food near their hole. After a while they would swim out every time I walked in the room looking to be fed.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yours was a ribbon eel as well? Even my snowflake, chainlink and Japanese dragon didn't eat tank mates.
I had both a blue and black ribbon in the same reef. They would eat from tongs. I just wiggled the food near their hole. After a while they would swim out every time I walked in the room looking to be fed.
I had a white ribbon eel. Different species than the normal ribbon eel. Pseudechidna brummeri, which is the species Blaxsun was asking about.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a white ribbon eel. Different species than the normal ribbon eel. Pseudechidna brummeri, which is the species Blaxsun was asking about.
?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back