Eels in a reef aquarium

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong but aren't those notoriously difficult to keep alive? I could be confusing it but I thought ribbon eels were tough
I didnt have any problem last time I kept them. I had 4 but that was about 20 years ago in a 225 mixed reef

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible I was mistaken for another eel. I thought they were hard to get to eat. They are beautiful eels and much less common than a snow flake which is appealing
Also while long, are skinny in comparison. Far less likely to attempt to eat other stuff unless it's really tiny. Peppermint shrimp are probably the most likely thing to get chopped if anything. But I fed mine krill,chopped clam and small silversmiths from the Asian market. Even small pieces of squid or octopus. Never ate anything living. I had a black, yellow, and two blues I an electric blue the other powder blue like a pb tang. Also being thin, they really didn't move rock around like snowflakes and zebras did. Far less waste from them as a bonus.

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my comment earlier was thinking ribbon eels were hard to get eating... the other comment about snowflakes was answering your question if they were well fed
I've always been told the snowflake eel eating small fish in a reef and just stayed away from them but may add a snowflake eel to the table on eels to add to the reef tank. Chainlink eels seem to be very similar to a zebra eel

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would a snowflake eel be good with small fish like a clownfish, wrasses and baby blue tang? And are the chainlink and zebra eel very similar just different colors and size? And with the banded eel would he not bother any small fish like the one mentioned? I'm trying to get more options to choose from since I'll probably be ordering one Tuesday.

You do want your rockwork set up with an eel in mind, as well as a top with absolutely not a sliver possible for an escape. You can search for tips on how to set up rockwork to give den options and secure top, carpet searching is the #1 cause of death of eels in captivity. The zebra is a very large eel, while the chainlink is somewhere between the snowflake and zebra. The chainlink and skelator are more aggressive, need more swimming space, and are more of threat to smaller fish. It all starts from the beginning as I mentioned before, people have best success when they start with a smaller eel and get them accustomed to living in captivity and eating dead food, before they go into the display. Small wrasses like a pinkstreaked or possum wrasse may not be a good idea; but larger wrasses would be fine. You have to size everything appropriately from the beginning.

What is your tank size, smaller the tank, greater the risk, this is also how many people get into trouble.

The ribbon eels are difficult to care for, and usually don't live very long if live food is not included in their diets.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garden eel
Not sure they are really an eel but they look like a baby one and reef/fish safe.
Hard to keep and need circular flow if the articles I read where accurate. Plus it seems like public aquariums mostly keep them alone sometimes mixing species of garden eels between the normal and the splendid orange one.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back