Effects of Direct Waterchange VS Continuous

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Question... Lets say someone does a waterchange of 5G.

You remove 5G then add a new batch of 5G of Saltwater, making sure that new 5G stays in the tank but a continuous waterchange adds a few ML/hours while simultaneously removing the equal amount until the 5G waterchange is done but won't it remove the new saltwater just added in ? Making it less effective?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You remove 5G then add a new batch of 5G of Saltwater, making sure that new 5G stays in the tank but a continuous waterchange adds a few ML/hours while simultaneously removing the equal amount until the 5G waterchange is done but won't it remove the new saltwater just added in ? Making it less effective?
Does this help?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yes, a little.
Let's say you do a 5g on a 20g system.

scenario 1: 5 gal out, then 5 new gallons in. 25% new water. 75% old water.

scenario 2: at the beginning, the water you are taking out is 100% old water, but by the end it's closer to 75% old water, and so you are taking out a portion of the new water, so you do a little less than otherwise. My brain was blanking on how to work out the exact solution elegantly, so here's the result of brute force calculation. If you change out 5 gallons in a 20 gallon tank, by doing 1/1000 of a gallon at a time....
Screen Shot 2024-02-10 at 7.20.02 AM.png

You end up with 77.88% old water and 22.12% new water at the end. Compared to scenario 1: all out, then all in: 75% old 25% new.

Do you care about that difference? I probably don't.

(If I were having some toxic condition though and I wanted to change 90%+ water, then doing it continuously would leave behind much more than the 10% of the toxic water. So in that scenario I would care. )

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, a little.
Let's say you do a 5g on a 20g system.

scenario 1: 5 gal out, then 5 new gallons in. 25% new water. 75% old water.

scenario 2: at the beginning, the water you are taking out is 100% old water, but by the end it's closer to 75% old water, and so you are taking out a portion of the new water, so you do a little less than otherwise. My brain was blanking on how to work out the exact solution elegantly, so here's the result of brute force calculation. If you change out 5 gallons in a 20 gallon tank, by doing 1/1000 of a gallon at a time....
Screen Shot 2024-02-10 at 7.20.02 AM.png

You end up with 77.88% old water and 22.12% new water at the end. Compared to scenario 1: all out, then all in: 75% old 25% new.

Do you care about that difference? I probably don't.

(If I were having some toxic condition though and I wanted to change 90%+ water, then doing it continuously would leave behind much more than the 10% of the toxic water. So in that scenario I would care. )
WOW thanks for doing the math ! The difference is very minimal I woudn't mind the extra % over having less work to do haha.

Thanks !

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back