egg crate substitute

Savant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As im setting up a new tank I am thinking about using egg crate under the rock to help prevent shifting down the road (planning 2" sb)...then I saw some price tags for this stuff $80 for a 5 pack (I only need 1 48x24 panel). Are there other mediums people have had success with that might not be as expensive/wasteful, or a location that they were able to obtain a smaller quantity?

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been able to get a single sheet from either Lowes or Home Depot. Last time I got some I think the price was around $16-$18. It'll be in the fluorescent lighting section as it's just a diffuser that's used on some fixtures.

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said above both HD and Lowes in my area sell single sheets as well as bulk packs. By be its about $12 each. Thats what I used under my rock and it works quite well. You could also used starboard, I think thats what its called. I think the eggcrate grabs better.

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt use eggcrate at all. They end up being detritus traps IMO.

How would this happen? You don't leave the cells empty.

I placed the eggcrate down to cover the entire bottom of the tank. Added only enough sand to fill the cells and no more. Then I placed my rock work then added sand and water.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to cells as the squares?

Over time the detritus will sink into those squares and will not be sifted all that much by your CUC. I have seen people move their tanks and when they lifted out the eggcrate is was a brown disgusting poop trap. thats all im saying

that novice guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i would think you should go with a greater sand size then you would be able to siphon out more without your sand being sucked up as much

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just put the rock on the bottom then add the sand? That way the rock is stable , being as it is sitting on the bottom of the tank. If anything goes sifting around it isn't going to move the rock any more than if it was on the egg crate.

my .02

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back