Eheim Jager acting up

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having a tough time deciding if I can trust Eheim again - I think the runaway was enough for me to change plans. I like what Cobalt is doing - I know the neotherm came out with issues but assuming Neotherm Pro has fixed those.

If Cobalt fails me Im going to move to titanium BRS.

I also can’t stand Eheim’s calibration - it is so archaic and with my tank I have to pull out the skimmer to get to it, so its a huge pain to have to try to dial it in even moreso than if it was easily accessible.
Iirc the brs heating element has no method of self control which means it relies entirely on your inkbird which is not something I fancy
Can't comment on any newer plastic heaters but after I lost my mantis to a neotherm blowing up after 3 months despite being on a controller (randomly heard a loud pop) I plain out refuse to use one again.
With how inexpensive glass heaters are and how much I put into my tanks its a no brainer for me.
Ultimately regardless of what you pick im glad you have a controller to mitigate some risk though!

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used an Eheim for about 6 months in my tank. I then started using it for mixing bin only for the past year... it finally broke last week. The 'internals' melted down. I've been using the Cobalt Neotherm on my 5g reef for a while and it holds the temp rock solid. They're great heaters until you read all the bad reviews! I would be scared to put one in my larger reef. They seem to have the ability to kill whole tanks. I started reading about the Ranco controllers after taking to you about the inkbirds. While I've had nothing but solid performance from the birds I've owned, they have quite a few bad reviews also. And the heater topic scares me more than say a power outage or whatever. Back to the Rancos, they seem to be the most reliable option out there from what I'm seeing. Quite a wide range on price too, depending on where you look. If you're willing to do all the electrical wiring you can get them for $65ish or you can get the rebranded Aqualogic from brs for almost $200! I think I will be going that route when it's time to replace the inkbird.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the inkbird control the eheim. Set the eheim 2 degrees above inkbird for your safety.
I had a neo therm for a year before it started to swell.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
this shouldnt even be a debate. If there is a question about heater operation or reliability, change it. too small of an investment to assume risk or failure

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having a tough time deciding if I can trust Eheim again - I think the runaway was enough for me to change plans. I like what Cobalt is doing - I know the neotherm came out with issues but assuming Neotherm Pro has fixed those.

If Cobalt fails me Im going to move to titanium BRS.

I also can’t stand Eheim’s calibration - it is so archaic and with my tank I have to pull out the skimmer to get to it, so its a huge pain to have to try to dial it in even moreso than if it was easily accessible.

I had two cobalts fail... one stuck on and one exploded (not the pro's but I doubt the new ones are bullet proof). I use Eheims and a titanium one (not the BRS one). I just put everything on a controller because heaters just fail... regardless of brand.

The only one not on a controller is the very expensive IM one... so far so good... it has it's own controller I guess.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an Eheim for about 6 months in my tank. I then started using it for mixing bin only for the past year... it finally broke last week. The 'internals' melted down. I've been using the Cobalt Neotherm on my 5g reef for a while and it holds the temp rock solid. They're great heaters until you read all the bad reviews! I would be scared to put one in my larger reef. They seem to have the ability to kill whole tanks. I started reading about the Ranco controllers after taking to you about the inkbirds. While I've had nothing but solid performance from the birds I've owned, they have quite a few bad reviews also. And the heater topic scares me more than say a power outage or whatever. Back to the Rancos, they seem to be the most reliable option out there from what I'm seeing. Quite a wide range on price too, depending on where you look. If you're willing to do all the electrical wiring you can get them for $65ish or you can get the rebranded Aqualogic from brs for almost $200! I think I will be going that route when it's time to replace the inkbird.
From what I read the OG Cobalt Neotherm’s only had issues on the 200W versions. I feel a bit better since I’m using the 100W in my 20gal and its the updated pro version. That being said I’ll probably replace with titanium in a year or so either way.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two cobalts fail... one stuck on and one exploded (not the pro's but I doubt the new ones are bullet proof). I use Eheims and a titanium one (not the BRS one). I just put everything on a controller because heaters just fail... regardless of brand.

The only one not on a controller is the very expensive IM one... so far so good... it has it's own controller I guess.
What wattage neotherm’s were you using? Such a pain that this hobby still doesn’t have a reliable heater, even the Eheim which everybody says is bulletproof.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What wattage neotherm’s were you using? Such a pain that this hobby still doesn’t have a reliable heater, even the Eheim which everybody says is bulletproof.

100w stuck on and 75w exploded

I think it would be very costly to have a reliable heater made… my guess. Like the IM ones are supposed to be different? But cost a few 100 bucks.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100w stuck on and 75w exploded

I think it would be very costly to have a reliable heater made… my guess. Like the IM ones are supposed to be different? But cost a few 100 bucks.
Grrr yes these stories definitely stick in the back of my mind as I run this Cobalt, and I don’t like it one bit haha. Stuck on I have mitigated - my biggest fear is an explosion or stuck off.

Back