Eibli Angel Heavy Breathing

Tyson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday morning I received a few fish from an online vendor, all came in good shape, but the Eibli looked a little questionable. I've been out of the QT game for a few years, so catching up to the latest practices. I dropped all fish in coppersafe of 1ppm yesterday, and raised up to 2.5ppm today. No ammonia issues in the QT tank. It was a freshly setup QT with a sponge thats been in my sump for a year or 2. Checking on the Eibli today, it's still breathing quite heavy. I have a flame and 3 damsels, all looking great. Thoughts on any course of action with the Eibli?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday morning I received a few fish from an online vendor, all came in good shape, but the Eibli looked a little questionable. I've been out of the QT game for a few years, so catching up to the latest practices. I dropped all fish in coppersafe of 1ppm yesterday, and raised up to 2.5ppm today. No ammonia issues in the QT tank. It was a freshly setup QT with a sponge thats been in my sump for a year or 2. Checking on the Eibli today, it's still breathing quite heavy. I have a flame and 3 damsels, all looking great. Thoughts on any course of action with the Eibli?

What copper test kit are you using? He may just be stressed from shipping, acclimation, and medications. Is there any aggression that could always stress a fish out.

You're taking the right course of action with copper, I'd just monitor him and see if anything worsens.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

was fish acclimated? if so how and for how long?
Any aggression from the flame angel ? The tail and rear of fins seemed nipped on and possible scrapes on body?
An age sponge will not necessarily keep ammonia down or zero but rather help with denitrification.

OP
OP
T

Tyson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the Hanna checker, so I feel good about my copper level. The Eibli arrived with nipped fins, and what could be a scrape. I don’t see any aggression with tank mates. The flame is tiny in comparison, maybe a quarter of the size. I can add a divider if needed, but as of now they’re oblivious to each other. Thanks for the thoughts, I’ll be sure to monitor ammonia.

OP
OP
T

Tyson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I lost the eibli last night. I'm working on a 50% water change, but I also noticed one of the azure damsels is breathing very heavily now too. Think I should freshwater dip the damsel to try and buy some time? I'm concerned it could be velvet now. The 3 damsels and flame all ate this morning.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back