OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the LFS owner seems to have lent out his test kits (and isn't sure if he'll get them back) and doesn't have a magnesium in stock.

He says it's not mag if I'm not dosing it.

So what the hail is wrong with my snails???

I was behind on water changes since I've been gone a lot more than usual, but after a couple catch-up changes they seem to be perking up, and the male anthias is getting his pink back. Honestly, I feel like a bad fish mommy, letting it get yucky enough to make them feel unwell!! I can hardly wait to get my filters replaced...I want to do more but if I keep doing that without changing them, I'm gonna ruin the membrane...so it's a balancing act, for sure. Should be able to order them day after tomorrow.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaaaaargh!! Anyone got a spare $100 I could borrow...?! A bill mix-up has left us a good $200 in the hole, postponing my upgrade until (most likely) February. I guess the "nothing good happens fast" adage has held true once again. T.T

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, I'm considering waiting on the upgrade setup until after MAX. I am wanting an aiptasia-free environment to bring any corals home to, though. :/

My main problem is that I do not have a light for any of my tanks I could use for QT. :( Mom's FOWLR doesn't have coral-eaters at the moment, but we've been having parameter issues with that one and I really don't think a single-bulb T12 on a 29g is going to be adequate to keep corals for a month. There's not enough flow in there, either.

Does anyone think an aqueon single T5 would be good enough for a 10g temporarily? I could probably get one of those.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having an odd problem with my male Bartlett's...
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1739323

...but my problem child moon brain finally appears to be responding to something. It puffs up after I add Vita-Chem (FW version - got it as a sample)! Maybe that's my key to getting it thriving!

Params are looking good as of last test. 5 nitrate, 1 phosphate, don't need to dose cal, alk, or mag so I don't usually test for them.
Still not sure what's wrong with my snails, but they seem to be perking up some.

I had some older sand in bleach on the back porch...I intended to rinse it the next morning but got called away. I wonder what happens to aragonite when you leave it in bleach for a week...?

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hubby gave me $60 for VD!!!!!!!!!
Between that and the money I earned taking surveys (if you're stuck at home like me, try inboxdollars.com - and PLEASE ask me for a referral link so I can benefit too!), I only have to come up with about $20 to get my upgrade going!!!

Oh, and I have a theme I want to shoot for n.n

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news!!
The RO filter replacements are on the way. n_n Now I just gotta get the salt mix, stripper, and paint.

Found out what happens to aragonite bleached for a week...it looks clean...sadly, not the snow-white I was kind of hoping for, lol.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hubby gave me $60 for VD!!!!!!!!!
Between that and the money I earned taking surveys (if you're stuck at home like me, try inboxdollars.com - and PLEASE ask me for a referral link so I can benefit too!), I only have to come up with about $20 to get my upgrade going!!!

Oh, and I have a theme I want to shoot for n.n

Good for you! I didn't know there was money to be made taking surveys. I'm home caring for my bed ridden mother in law, maybe I should consider that? Looking forward to your build!

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good for you! I didn't know there was money to be made taking surveys. I'm home caring for my bed ridden mother in law, maybe I should consider that? Looking forward to your build!

Yeah. Inboxdollars.com is where I go. I've been trying out Vindale.com but haven't made enough to cash out yet, so I can't vouch for it yet.

If you have a smartphone, you can also make a little cash with much less work using the Scantopia app. You scan bar codes to win money and raffle entries. They really do pay you, too. I just cashed out $9 from it XD. It goes into paypal, though, so you have to have an account.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the moon brain frag's looking pretty good. It still won't eat, but it's getting some very bright, almost neon green on the tips of the newest/smallest polyps, so I suspect it's starting to grow. I've been keeping up with the vita-chem and plan to continue since I got that kind of result. W00t!! I guess all it needed was a little vitamin therapy of sorts. Even if it isn't actively growing like I think, it's definitely stopped receding, so still good news.

I think my submale anthias is getting his color back slowly, too.

My rodi filter replacements should be here Tuesday. :) No more 24TDS product water for me!

I need suggestions for what stripper and paint would work best for my stand. Any ideas?

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....I have come to the conclusion that if I try to do the upgrade now, there will be no MAX for me. T.T

So what I'm going to have to do is kill off the rock and top layer of sand in stages. Hopefully I can keep some bristledyworms. That should remove enough aiptasia to bring my max swag home safely...then I can deal with trying to get the big tank going. Probably should quarantine the corals before putting them in the big tank, anyway XD

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hurrah for 0 TDS!!! :D My filter replacement set works perfectly. Made kind of a mess with the refillable resin, but hey XD easy enough to clean up.

Okay...so my plan is to clean the rock (in shifts, so I don't de-cycle the tank) so that I can at least bring any new frags home to a relatively aiptasia-free environment. Then I can get my big tank set up after the show. It's an annoying development, but probably for the best; my moon brain is finally starting to do well, and I need to quarantine my new frags before they go into their final tank anyway.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way to go Eienna! Those cartridges can be a pain with making sure all the cuff are tightened down and nothing leaks. Glad its done and working perfectly. Good luck with the aptaisia.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.........okay, now I'm upset. Looks like I most likely won't be doing either for a while.......at least what I have is healthy and beautiful.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. It's not been easy, for sure, but our relationship has changed for the better as of late. ♡

Relationships take work but are well worth the time, ( kind of like a reef tank, yes?). My hubby and I will celebrate 33 years of marriage in June and its never been better. Very glad for you and your significant other.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back