EKORAL PRO VS APEX

Jerry Ebner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw Mad Hatter's Reef do a video on the ekoral Pro.
Anyone else try this out and How do you think it matches up with Apex Price wise ?
I have the Apex Jr for my one tank so price wise they don't beat that option but for the higher cost Apex anyone care to take a shot at the chance this could be worth purchasing ?

You can see his video here

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just came out so I suspect it will be a couple of months before any substantial assessments have been made between these two controllers. I like the simplicity of the eKoral, however, and I have been looking at possibly implementing it on my tank.

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another thread there's a discussion of Apex and I brought up eKoral. I think it's really competitive on 220V. Also the simplicity makes it look really good for most reefers and probably better value for money in that price range. But for hardcore reefers (especially in the US) I think the Apex is ahead. Like the breakout box is a really nice addition and then there is Trident (out of my price range). In Europe, UK, Australia... I think a lot of people are going to switch to eKoral. With Apex you pay more (even after 21% VAT in EU) for Apex with the old powerbar. Also the COR pumps are not available on 220V. Also will they make Trident available to us. I'm considering buying all stuff from the US and using a transformer so I can use Apex into the future. If eKoral adds a breakout box I'd be leaning towards selling my Apex and moving over (especially if Seneye releases Coral which has a way to monitor Alk).

OP
OP
Jerry Ebner

Jerry Ebner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bought the Apex Jr for one of my tanks Was going to buy me a second Jr for a second tank. But when I seen Matt's video on youtube it made me think of trying it.. Holding tight for now. I dont think they have a model to match the Jr's price tag. So I think I will wait for a while maybe .

Handegard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else try this out and How do you think it matches up with Apex Price wise ?
I have the Apex Jr for my one tank so price wise they don't beat that option but for the higher cost Apex anyone care to take a shot at the chance this could be worth purchasing ?

Well, off the bat the Ekoral for $899 includes 2 less outlets, but adds a water level sensor.

I’ve been looking at these since I saw them at MACNA, and I’m not sure I’m sold yet. A step up from Digital Aquatics devices for sure, and as much as I’d like to see another player in the market, I just can’t see being the one to invest in a new player :/

$800 vs $899 not a big deal, but let’s say I want to add a doser, control radions, etc. I feel like the lack of accessories would put me off, even though I know they can’t develop them until more people buy. Catch 22.

I am going to see if I can’t get one in the store at work to play with for some first hand knowledge.

eKoProCS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, off the bat the Ekoral for $899 includes 2 less outlets, but adds a water level sensor.

I’ve been looking at these since I saw them at MACNA, and I’m not sure I’m sold yet. A step up from Digital Aquatics devices for sure, and as much as I’d like to see another player in the market, I just can’t see being the one to invest in a new player :/

$800 vs $899 not a big deal, but let’s say I want to add a doser, control radions, etc. I feel like the lack of accessories would put me off, even though I know they can’t develop them until more people buy. Catch 22.

I am going to see if I can’t get one in the store at work to play with for some first hand knowledge.

Hello,

Would like to give some additional information on our power strip that makes it different.
1. 6 outlets that can be controlled individually
2. 6 individual power meters
3. Independent mechanical relay for each outlet
4. Over Current Protection
5. Wireless pairing to the eK core - one controller can control multiple power strips
6. 6 outlets rated at 10A. Consume a total of 10A

We are working to add more third party devices to our eKoral Sync Progam, but we do have a dosing pump that will be coming out soon.

Thank you

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Would like to give some additional information on our power strip that makes it different.
5. Wireless pairing to the eK core - one controller can control multiple power strips

We are working to add more third party devices to our eKoral Sync Progam, but we do have a dosing pump that will be coming out soon.

Thank you
This functionality looks awesome - I love the package and leak detectors just plug right in. Would love to see a breakout box.

Handegard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thank you

I’d like everyone to know that, as someone who deals with buying wholesale for a LFS, I have been very pleased with my communication with eKoral. After my post here, I emailed them. They responded to my post here in the forum and my email from the store promptly. That’s not something I can say of many other companies, and I am impressed.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of it. And... that, in and of itself, would be a problem.

Bleeding edge, in a hobby where new equipment (and vendors!) comes and goes like the morning dew is not something I'm willing to buy into.

I'm hopeful that they'll give Apex a run for their money. Right now, there really isn't anything else in the market I'd be willing to buy. Competition is good!

MadHatter'sReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm going to be digging deeper into the eKoral pro with a "30 days later" review. Im running the eKoral Pro on the same aquarium as my Apex so I'll be able to give a fair comparison of the two. Side note: Thanks for sharing my video :)

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of it. And... that, in and of itself, would be a problem.

Bleeding edge, in a hobby where new equipment (and vendors!) comes and goes like the morning dew is not something I'm willing to buy into.

I'm hopeful that they'll give Apex a run for their money. Right now, there really isn't anything else in the market I'd be willing to buy. Competition is good!

TBH, bleeding edge can accurately describe some of the Apex hardware and software releases of late... The phrase live beta testing springs to mind...

I'd like to see some more players in the market. Hopefully with an open-standards ecosystem so the customer can chose the best solution for them, with increased inter-connectivity.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH, bleeding edge can accurately describe some of the Apex hardware and software releases of late... The phrase live beta testing springs to mind...

There's a reason I'm using the Apex Classic :)

The whole idea of having a controller is to help you keep things stable. Monitor the system, 24/7, respond or alert the aquarist when it senses a problem. Unstable hardware would defeat the entire point.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a reason I'm using the Apex Classic :)

The whole idea of having a controller is to help you keep things stable. Monitor the system, 24/7, respond or alert the aquarist when it senses a problem. Unstable hardware would defeat the entire point.

Me too! ;) Although I'd steer clear of the latest firmware at the moment...

Coral Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like everyone to know that, as someone who deals with buying wholesale for a LFS, I have been very pleased with my communication with eKoral. After my post here, I emailed them. They responded to my post here in the forum and my email from the store promptly. That’s not something I can say of many other companies, and I am impressed.

We have been working with Eric from eKoral about possibly bringing their product into our store... They have been nothing but great to communicate with. We can't wait to get a demo unit into the store and set up on our display tank that we're using for our DIY videos on our YouTube channel. I have been dealing with alot of distributors and they have been by far the best I've been dealing with. Neptune offered a free Apex unit to display and demo but they were not nearly as easy to communicate with nor were they as ready to work with us on the terms of our order.

Thanks @eKoProCS

Last edited:

mcdaniel26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing that everyone is forgetting about the profilux 4 by GHL. That controller is better then the apex and ekoral. And it only cost $849 for the mega. It doesn’t look and feel like it should be sold in the toy section in Walmart.

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing that everyone is forgetting about the profilux 4 by GHL. That controller is better then the apex and ekoral. And it only cost $849 for the mega. It doesn’t look and feel like it should be sold in the toy section in Walmart.
Hmmm - GHL has always been a strange one for me but one I would really like to find out more about. I don't know how to say it but GHL seems a bit too pharma - difficult to understand. I guess I first started learning through BRS and so something like Apex immediately made sense.

Being in Europe and discovering how far behind Apex is over here (plus I have heard from the UK support is terrible) GHL should really be on my radar. Their website feels like a bit of a maze. The expansion slots make it seem like you need to be able to build computers to use.

But once you dig into it they had optical and float level sensors. The KH Guardian (which is standalone as I understand) is a solid product from what a lot of reefers say. Plus if you work it all out it is starting to seem like you can connect to the LAN and there's a mobile app.

Still it's distant to me and I haven't found a breakout box equivalent yet. I feel like the eKoral is for hobbyists, Apex is for serious hobbyists / professionals and the GHL is for the lab.

But you have inspired me to check it out. I have found some stuff on YouTube and it's demystifying it for me. I'm starting to think it should be on my list.

I want to go with the eKoral because I feel like they are building a product to get more people into the hobby (and to make it simple). The GHL may be the more sensible option personally and higher quality. We'll see but I really think we will all be better off if eKoral succeeds. I think to do that they will need to drop their prices but I have time and initially there seemed to be opposition but the reviewers at least on YouTube seem to be coming round to it pretty fast.

There is also DA Reefkeeper - I don't know why they aren't talked about more ;)

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanna go really retro, then the Aquatronica is still being manufactured... :)

I'd definately look closely at the GHL. It's the closest to the Apex in terms of functionality and ahead in several areas, particularly outside the US, where the Apex specification has fallen far behind.

Looking forward to see the eKoral progress though.

NefTunzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thank you
@eKoProCS
Can the ultrasound water level sensor be used as a stand alone sensor, or does it work only with the eKoral main unit?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back