Elbow overflow question.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reeferon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Reeferon

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
199
Reaction score
27
Location
Boston
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a sweep elbow as an overflow in the past with success. It was a 1" bulkhead with a 1.5" elbow. On the back of the glass I placed a tee with hard 1" pvc all the way down to the sump. On top of the tee fitting I just placed some filter floss to muffle the noise. I had a mag 3 running on that tank and it worked like a charm with very little noise!

Now I want to do the same thing but with a larger pump. I want to prevent any noise, so I think I will use a 1.5" bulkhead and 1.5" pipe all the way down to the sump.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how else I can minimize noise on a set up like this?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
 
Not a pro, but maybe you could use a tee at the bulk head and cap opening facing up and drill a hole in the cap. Dont know if this is what you are trying to do, but its an idea
 
I had tried that with the previous set up, but it was louder that way. The filter floss on the top part of the tee was much more quiet.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
 
Try to drill hole then stick a piece of airline tubing in it. Try adjusting the depth of the tubing to see if it gets better.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new