Electrical cord splicing question

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my plan was to install my 55W UV filter in my sump which fits perfectly. The issue I have is the ballast won’t let me thread the electrical cord through the opening in my sump area of my RSR 450.
image.jpg
I don't want the ballast in that section of the stand where there is water from the sump. My question is could I splice the cable and use the ends of an extension cord to allow me to install the UV pump in the wet side of the stand and have the ballast and plug in the dry side of the stand to assist in installation as well as when I need to replace the bulb.
IMG_7354.jpeg

(Here is an early pics of the tank set up before plumbing and water was put in)
IMG_7226.jpeg

Any other suggestions are also appreciated!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my plan was to install my 55W UV filter in my sump which fits perfectly. The issue I have is the ballast won’t let me thread the electrical cord through the opening in my sump area of my RSR 450.
image.jpg
I don't want the ballast in that section of the stand where there is water from the sump. My question is could I splice the cable and use the ends of an extension cord to allow me to install the UV pump in the wet side of the stand and have the ballast and plug in the dry side of the stand to assist in installation as well as when I need to replace the bulb.
IMG_7354.jpeg

(Here is an early pics of the tank set up before plumbing and water was put in)
IMG_7226.jpeg

Any other suggestions are also appreciated!
Might be safer to buy replacement male and female parts rather than cutting up an extension cord and splicing wires.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a brand name stand? Looks undersized for that large rimless tank

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Paleozoic_reefer

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can replace just the end:

That wouldn’t work since I still won’t be able to fit the ballast or UV through the available opening. I need to find a way to cut and connect the cables for install and bulb replacement. Would something like this work?
Universal Butt Type Wire Cable Connector Detachable Quick ...
Universal Butt Type Wire Cable Connector Detachable Quick ...

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am partial to these, from my industrial days. Aviation connector pair
But any of the suggestions will work, even splicing the pigtail. Usually though we try and avoid splices if at all possible because they are more at risk from environmental degradation, more likely to be uninsulated should someone grab it, and they look like a hack job. If you connectorize it you won’t have to take everything apart if you need to pull it out though. Just some suggestions .

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am partial to these, from my industrial days. Aviation connector pair
But any of the suggestions will work, even splicing the pigtail. Usually though we try and avoid splices if at all possible because they are more at risk from environmental degradation, more likely to be uninsulated should someone grab it, and they look like a hack job. If you connectorize it you won’t have to take everything apart if you need to pull it out though. Just some suggestions .

Love barrel connectors but I would not run 120AC through those.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rated 250v 4A. 55w uv should be fine @ only .51A, which is well within spec. But you are right, the balast would kick it up to 600v which is not. So it would only work on the one side of the circuit.

I do all kinds of stuff I should not but publicly my stance is don’t use 115AC connectors on 120AC. ;)

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me as I can’t see the pics, but will the uv bulb cap fit through the opening if you remove the bulb?

OP
OP
Paleozoic_reefer

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me as I can’t see the pics, but will the uv bulb cap fit through the opening if you remove the bulb?
unfortunately not unless I remove one of the bulk heads. The RSR G1s don't have a port to run cables between the stand’s compartments like the G2s…

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back