Electrical emergency with tank. Please help!

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't get to read the thread because I've got to run to work. My general thoughts are loose wires or corrosion. Definitely locate the smell and inspect the box with power off. If you have an older house like mine and the wiring is AL...you need NOLOX to connect copper. If you don't it causes heat resistance and flickering/fires

I'll check back in later..good luck!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the electrician can’t come until tomorrow. The power company is also going to come to check the outside connection. My surge protector that the EB8’s were plugged into is fried. But I got another extension cord so now the skimmer and return pump are running. That surge protector sure did its job. It saved all my equipment. I’m still not totally sure what happened but I should find out tomorrow.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the electrician can’t come until tomorrow. The power company is also going to come to check the outside connection. My surge protector that the EB8’s were plugged into is fried. But I got another extension cord so now the skimmer and return pump are running. That surge protector sure did its job. It saved all my equipment. I’m still not totally sure what happened but I should find out tomorrow.
Sounds like you have it under control.
Hope you get some info tomorrow.
Keep us up to date.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power company came and said the power to the house is normal. Waiting for the electrician.....

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good ideas here. Sounds like you should def get another surge protector-seems well worth its weight!!

Personally I have an older home, and also get nervous about electrical fires. I have to take similar precautions: 1) I bought an external GFCI on amazon that everything runs through. 2) I split the load so it pulls from two separate circuits, one of which has a UPS (Amazon, ~$80) with a powerhead on it. 3) I bought a few USB computer fans and mounted them in the Apex cabinet. 4) I used plastic sheeting to create as many vapor barriers as possible (it's not fool proof though).

Bottom line, sometimes you just have to take what precautions you can. You're doing the right thing by working with the electrician, and isolating the causes by deduction. In addition, try adding more measures like I have above to get as close to "safe" as possible. Good luck!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news! The electrician came today and replaced some bad gfci outlets. Our surge protectors were the only other casualty. Even my wireless router is ok. Everything’s plugged back in and safe. The apex is fine. The gfci’s and surge protectors just saved us thousands of dollars in electronic equipment. Thanks to all of you for all your help. You’re the best!!!!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
glad to hear!!! :) happy reefing

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back