Electrical emergency with tank. Please help!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g breeder run by an Apex Jr in a separate cabinet so the electrical equipment never touches saltwater. The system is hooked up to a gfci outlet. Last week during a bad storm several of our gfci outlets tripped. I had an electrician come out to make sure the circuit was ok. He thought it might be stray voltage from the tank.

This week the outlets have been tripping in several rooms. Just now we lost power to some outlets and the lights started flickering. Other parts of the house are fine. I heard a loud noise in my tank equipment cabinet and smelled an electrical burning smell. I immediately unplugged the entire system so now everything is off. I texted the electrician to get him back out here tomorrow. Needless to say, it scared me to death. Has anyone had a similar experience? Maybe #reefsquad can help???

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it can sometimes happen in the hobby unfortunately. I know someone that their house burned down because of how they had their system setup. Do it incorrectly and you will have to pay the piper.

I've had some flaming incidents myself and they are not anything to take lightly.

So many power bricks and if you put them near water they will eventually get condensation build-up. Loops help but best if you can put all electrical as far away from the water as possible.

I picked up a tank today and the same happened to the guy I picked it up from. His wall outlet was scorched.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g breeder run by an Apex Jr in a separate cabinet so the electrical equipment never touches saltwater. The system is hooked up to a gfci outlet. Last week during a bad storm several of our gfci outlets tripped. I had an electrician come out to make sure the circuit was ok. He thought it might be stray voltage from the tank.

This week the outlets have been tripping in several rooms. Just now we lost power to some outlets and the lights started flickering. Other parts of the house are fine. I heard a loud noise in my tank equipment cabinet and smelled an electrical burning smell. I immediately unplugged the entire system so now everything is off. I texted the electrician to get him back out here tomorrow. Needless to say, it scared me to death. Has anyone had a similar experience? Maybe #reefsquad can help???
Great safety job on using gfci.
Had a similar problem with gfci tripping.
Standard troubleshooting is to unplug all, then plug 1 thing back in at a time.
That said, electrical burning smell not good.
Can you isolate the smell to a device?

Parent_usmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If several rooms are involved ( given your home is newer) it could very well be your electrical panel/service. Sounds to me like a loose neutral..

Older homes tend to have fewer circuits ( given your electrical hasn't been updated) which could be that your fish tank shares a circuit with lights and other rooms, hopefully none of your equipment was damaged. But if you lost a neutral at your panel, or possibly at the actual service, you could damage electronics

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it can sometimes happen in the hobby unfortunately. I know someone that their house burned down because of how they had their system setup. Do it incorrectly and you will have to pay the piper.

I've had some flaming incidents myself and they are not anything to take lightly.
Thanks. I’m not sure what got fried. What worries me is that this is affecting other outlets in the house. I’ve always been very careful with electricity and there’s nothing new in the tank. Luckily my electrician has a saltwater tank too! I just hope all my equipment isn’t destroyed. I think the fish and coral will be ok without filtration for the day or so it takes to get this fixed.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes pull each pice of equipment until you find the electric smelly one. Or plug in one at a time until gf I trips. Multiple tripping I. The house is not good and something else is up. Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great safety job on using gfci.
Had a similar problem with gfci tripping.
Standard troubleshooting is to unplug all, then plug 1 thing back in at a time.
That said, electrical burning smell not good.
Can you isolate the smell to a device?
The whole cabinet smells so I’m not sure. I might unplug each piece of equipment and try plugging it into an extension cord. I hope it isn’t the Apex itself. Right before this happened, the display module went blank (orange backlit but nothing on the screen). Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If several rooms are involved ( given your home is newer) it could very well be your electrical panel/service. Sounds to me like a loose neutral..

Older homes tend to have fewer circuits ( given your electrical hasn't been updated) which could be that your fish tank shares a circuit with lights and other rooms, hopefully none of your equipment was damaged. But if you lost a neutral at your panel, or possibly at the actual service, you could damage electronics
Thanks. My house was built in the 40’s, but the electrical has been updated. You’re right that the tank outlet is connected to other outlets. When the electrician came out, he said the circuitry was fine. But something’s definitely wrong.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes pull each pice of equipment until you find the electric smelly one. Or plug in one at a time until gf I trips. Multiple tripping I. The house is not good and something else is up. Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks. Yep I’m worried. My husband just told me that a surge protector on the other side of the house blew.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do you have livestock in there ,see if you can safely use ph for oxygen over night...careful ..best wishes..following,keep us posted

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes during power outages, the power can either flicker or brown, which means not full voltage is available since all on the grid is restarting. When some devices turn back on, ac pumps, they might draw too much current, overheating conductors burning the insulation causing the smell. Permanently damaged. Replace if this is the case.
It might be just 1 apex outlet, so switching to a spare might resolve it. Worst case, maybe replace the energy bar.
You might turn all off, then manually via apex turn on 1 at a time, until the trip recurs. Be careful.

proxy001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue. It was the connection of the main electrical line on the roof. (cable from the city to your house). Sometimes those go bad, Could also be the wiring at or before your meter or your whole panel. Definitely have an electrician inspect if it is several rooms. Do you have UPC on computers/electronic? do they trip/ activate?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have livestock in there ,see if you can safely use ph for oxygen over night...careful ..best wishes..following,keep us posted
I have six fish and some coral, softies and LPS. I have battery operated airstone pumps I keep on hand for hurricanes so I can set those up tomorrow.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’m g
Sometimes during power outages, the power can either flicker or brown, which means not full voltage is available since all on the grid is restarting. When some devices turn back on, ac pumps, they might draw too much current, overheating conductors burning the insulation causing the smell. Permanently damaged. Replace if this is the case.
It might be just 1 apex outlet, so switching to a spare might resolve it. Worst case, maybe replace the energy bar.
You might turn all off, then manually via apex turn on 1 at a time, until the trip recurs. Be careful.
Thanks so much! I’m going to wait until the electrician comes before I do anything. He’s got a saltwater tank himself, so I’m in good hands!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have six fish and some coral, softies and LPS. I have battery operated airstone pumps I keep on hand for hurricanes so I can set those up tomorrow.
should do tonight only 40 gallon..

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, my husband had to add an extra electrical panel and fuses when he added pool, hot tub and outside lighting. 2 panels we had couldn’t Handle extra power.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue. It was the connection of the main electrical line on the roof. (cable from the city to your house). Sometimes those go bad, Could also be the wiring at or before your meter or your whole panel. Definitely have an electrician inspect if it is several rooms. Do you have UPC on computers/electronic? do they trip/ activate?
What is UPC?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yep I’m worried. My husband just told me that a surge protector on the other side of the house blew.
Thanks. I’m g

Thanks so much! I’m going to wait until the electrician comes before I do anything. He’s got a saltwater tank himself, so I’m in good hands!
Good plan, just keep minimal life support running.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an apex yet, but I will soon enough. Can they recognize a power up cycle? Was thinking of you could create a function based on that event, you could maybe set delays to all your other devices and start then up in a controlled manner to prevent this massive draw of power all at once? Just trying to think outside the box here...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back