Electrical emergency with tank. Please help!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an apex yet, but I will soon enough. Can they recognize a power up cycle? Was thinking of you could create a function based on that event, you could maybe set delays to all your other devices and start then up in a controlled manner to prevent this massive draw of power all at once? Just trying to think outside the box here...
That’s a great idea!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is UPC?
I think he means UPS, uninterrptable power supply.
Used to be popular in the 2000s when a power failure to a pc might brick windows.
Contains a battery and inverter to power pc for a limited time with mains removed.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I smelled around in my electrical cabinet and I think it was my wireless router that blew. It’s plugged into a regular surge protector, not the apex.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if you can run essentials off of extension cord from another outlet that’s on a different circuit (ie- not the same breaker that tripped).

Essentials are pumps/flow, so no lights & no Apex.

You can manually dose (if needed) & feed for a day. All fish & corals should be ok.

If a breaker trips when you plug in a pump, then there’s your problem (but I’ll be surprised if it does).

Lastly, breathe. It will be ok ;)

Edit:
just saw your post on wireless router, good job!

Unplug router, reset breaker if needed, then see if everything else comes back on.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But would it work lol. I know from reading you can create virtual conditions to an extent. But I haven't worked with the device yet so I don't know the limitations of the apex system.
I do this with my skimmer and apex fusion, gives the return pump a chance to get water out of the sump so the skimmer doesn't overflow
if power apex off 001 then 0ff
Defer 001:00 then on
This keeps the skimmer off for 1 minute after power up

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’m not sure what got fried. What worries me is that this is affecting other outlets in the house. I’ve always been very careful with electricity and there’s nothing new in the tank. Luckily my electrician has a saltwater tank too! I just hope all my equipment isn’t destroyed. I think the fish and coral will be ok without filtration for the day or so it takes to get this fixed.
When you have your electrician check out the house tomorrow, ask him for a quote to run a new circuit just for the aquarium. Keep all electrical wiring up, nothing on the floor of the stand. If the electrician is wiring the circuit, I would also consider a quad box with two GFCIs, to give you more outlets to connect your primary draw - lights, return pump, powerheads, accessories.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if you can run essentials off of extension cord from another outlet that’s on a different circuit (ie- not the same breaker that tripped).

Essentials are pumps/flow, so no lights & no Apex.

You can manually dose (if needed) & feed for a day. All fish & corals should be ok.

If a breaker trips when you plug in a pump, then there’s your problem (but I’ll be surprised if it does).

Lastly, breathe. It will be ok ;)

Edit:
just saw your post on wireless router, good job!

Unplug router, reset breaker if needed, then see if everything else comes back on.
I just plugged the return pump into an extension cord and bypassed all the surge protectors by plugging the extension cord into the gfci outlet, which reset fine. The return pump wasn’t damaged thank goodness. I’m cautiously optimistic that the router was the only casualty. The apex power bars don’t smell. I’m just going to plug in the return pump for now to keep the circulation going. I took the router out of the cabinet. It is seriously time to run a cable from the apex to my home router.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this with my skimmer and apex fusion, gives the return pump a chance to get water out of the sump so the skimmer doesn't overflow
I actually do this already to keep the skimmer from overflowing because the water level is higher after the return pump has been off.

Trivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you own your house, a whole house power surge suppressor is worth the cost. The surge protectors which come in power strips are ok, but having the extra one right at the electrical panel is good insurance.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an apex yet, but I will soon enough. Can they recognize a power up cycle? Was thinking of you could create a function based on that event, you could maybe set delays to all your other devices and start then up in a controlled manner to prevent this massive draw of power all at once? Just trying to think outside the box here...

Maybe-
Have Apex on a UPS/backup (it won’t go off)
Have a 2nd EB not connected to a UPS.

Write a command that If EB#2 = off, then turn off higher current devices, like lights & any pumps not on battery backups.

Write another command that if EB#2 = ON, then turn on higher current devices, with delays between each in seconds (doesn’t have to be minutes).

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Awesome, so I wasn't thinking crazy.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just plugged the return pump into an extension cord and bypassed all the surge protectors by plugging the extension cord into the gfci outlet, which reset fine. The return pump wasn’t damaged thank goodness. I’m cautiously optimistic that the router was the only casualty. The apex power bars don’t smell. I’m just going to plug in the return pump for now to keep the circulation going. I took the router out of the cabinet. It is seriously time to run a cable from the apex to my home router.

Good job!
Now, go have a bourbon ;)

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you own your house, a whole house power surge suppressor is worth the cost. The surge protectors which come in power strips are ok, but having the extra one right at the electrical panel is good insurance.
Might protect against some voltage spikes, but not a close lightening strike.
Too much too fast.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The newer apex models have a lot more features when it comes to monitoring power output for each outlet. What I’ve done with my feed cycles is put in delays with the skimmer and ato for a few minutes to give the water in the sump time to lower to its regular level. This also helps with not too much coming on at once.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just remembered that we had a leak in the roof a few days back during a terrible storm. We’re waiting to get a damaged roof replaced (long story, you don’t want to know). I noticed that the leak was over my electrical stand so I quickly cleaned it up and put a bucket to catch any more water. It wasn’t too bad, just a drip, and since my cabinet has an overlapping top, I don’t see how any water could’ve gotten inside, but maybe it did. That being said, the leak was close to the overhead lights, so I’m wondering if I have a short in the wiring above the tank due to moisture. The return pump ran overnight without a problem.

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since its whole house I be looking at the main connection from city. This happened to me not to long ago. Very scary whole house electrical was flickering.. Turned out electricity was arcing at the main elbow in the house... could litterly see the ark very scary... had to shut the hole house down before the box. First had to have the electricity shut off at pole by the city, then private company come fix the problem and then the city inspector and finally the city to turn the electric back on at the pole... sucked!! Nothing to do with my tank too I was worried of that as I rent...

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just remembered that we had a leak in the roof a few days back during a terrible storm. We’re waiting to get a damaged roof replaced (long story, you don’t want to know). I noticed that the leak was over my electrical stand so I quickly cleaned it up and put a bucket to catch any more water. It wasn’t too bad, just a drip, and since my cabinet has an overlapping top, I don’t see how any water could’ve gotten inside, but maybe it did. That being said, the leak was close to the overhead lights, so I’m wondering if I have a short in the wiring above the tank due to moisture. The return pump ran overnight without a problem.

Definitely this... water got some place it shouldn't have...

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are getting your insurance involved for the roof, add the electrical in with it. Lightning can cause problems from now to six months from now. If your insurance has opened up a claim I would find an electrical contractor to come in and replace all GFCI's breakers and GFCI receptacles. Power supplies and ballast may go next depending upon the severity of the strike. Whole house surge protection is great if the utility company gets struck to control the amount of voltage coming into your home. If the lightning strike is close to your home the voltage will come through your grounding system.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back