Electrical question. Any electricians on here?

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using a Trip Lite GFCI power strip. Right now, I'm running it from behind the aquarium into the wall. The problem is that it is bright yellow and ugly. What I would like to do is run an extension cord from the outlet to the back of the aquarium and then plug in the GFCI plug in there out of sight. Everywhere I read though it says that this could be a fire hazard. Is it really? My whole set up uses less than 300 watts. Thanks!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to extension cords they need to able to handle the power load with out getting hot. How many amps are you drawing and how long a cord do you want. Longer cord = voltage drop = heat

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt know if he was 120 or 240
A lot of equipment will pull more wattage than the manufacture claims. Motors on start up can be a big issue.
Here is a simple article that will help you understand the basics.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main issue is where your ground fault protection starts. In your case the extension cord, and more importantly the connection point where the GFCI plugs into the extension cord, won't be protected by the GFCI. I don't consider this a big issue as long as you use proper drip loops to keep water out of the connection where the GFCI plugs in.

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt know if he was 120 or 240
A lot of equipment will pull more wattage than the manufacture claims. Motors on start up can be a big issue.
Here is a simple article that will help you understand the basics.
I just assumed he was in the US and that it was 120v

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know why I didn't get notifications about comments on this thread. Either way, thanks for the answers. My tank definitely does not use more than 300 watts. These are the 2 extension cords I would use. No water should get anywhere near where I will plug the gfci into the extension cord.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the white will go into the wall and then the yellow and my canister filter will plug into the white. ( I like to keep one piece of important equipment off the GFCI)

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer. Yes it is a fire hazard. Longer answer is the wire guages are what make that so. Seeing as the item description doesn’t say the wire guage of the cord. Just get the longer corded version and not put an extension cord in between. You could do it and never have a problem, but doing it right and not risking it is a better idea.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using a Trip Lite GFCI power strip. Right now, I'm running it from behind the aquarium into the wall. The problem is that it is bright yellow and ugly. What I would like to do is run an extension cord from the outlet to the back of the aquarium and then plug in the GFCI plug in there out of sight. Everywhere I read though it says that this could be a fire hazard. Is it really? My whole set up uses less than 300 watts. Thanks!
If my setup, I'd install an afci OUTLET it's not a GFCI. And leave everything the way it is. Disadvantage is, certain devices may trip it. You won't know till you try.

Screenshot_2019-12-06-22-31-44.png

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer. Yes it is a fire hazard. Longer answer is the wire guages are what make that so. Seeing as the item description doesn’t say the wire guage of the cord. Just get the longer corded version and not put an extension cord in between. You could do it and never have a problem, but doing it right and not risking it is a better idea.
The extension cord is rated to 13A or 1625W so it would be fine for this application imo. They should do a better job providing that information since, as you point out, wire gauge (ampacity) is a critical piece of information for an extension cord. Not one that should take digging.

If my setup, I'd install an afci OUTLET it's not a GFCI. And leave everything the way it is. Disadvantage is, certain devices may trip it. You won't know till you try.

Screenshot_2019-12-06-22-31-44.png
I would disagree with this. It is almost impossible to generate an electrical arc in salt water at 120V. I see little value in installing an AFCI unless you are only worried about salt creep or spray near a cord connection.
If AFCI protection is desired I feel it is better to provide that using a breaker in the panel than an outlet near the tank.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is safe. Any extension cord will handle 300 watts. Go for it. Just be sure to use a 3 prong extension cord.
(Master Electrician in Manhattan 50 years)

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is safe. Any extension cord will handle 300 watts. Go for it. Just be sure to use a 3 prong extension cord.
(Master Electrician in Manhattan 50 years)

Thanks, So the only issue of daisy chaining is that i overload the circuit? And with 300 watts, that's not possible, correct?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, So the only issue of daisy chaining is that i overload the circuit? And with 300 watts, that's not possible, correct?
let the breaker do its job. IMO the wire is the least of your problems its the connection or a poor connection, thats were the heat is generated and will break down your device. its all about the $$$$, cheap connector = cheap performance.
If a receptacle or plug is loose, CHANGE IT! ...If it ain't tight.....

1575737122004.png
1575737143988.png
1575737173552.png
1575737189739.png

1575738700148.png

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not quite that simple, but you would need a VERY long chain of extension cords for 300W to be a problem.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The extension cord is rated to 13A or 1625W so it would be fine for this application imo. They should do a better job providing that information since, as you point out, wire gauge (ampacity) is a critical piece of information for an extension cord. Not one that should take digging.

I would disagree with this. It is almost impossible to generate an electrical arc in salt water at 120V. I see little value in installing an AFCI unless you are only worried about salt creep or spray near a cord connection.
If AFCI protection is desired I feel it is better to provide that using a breaker in the panel than an outlet near the tank.
I agree with you, in my statement I said may, not that it will, reason I mentioned, there's been some members(R2R) that had issues in past, again some.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back