Elegance coral dying - please help!

Brian Lenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had these two elegance corals for 4-6 weeks. Both were doing beautifully. Full extension, 8" end to end. The first one got this grey-ish dust/sludge on the tissue. Then in about two weeks, it's barely opening up. I just noticed the same on the 2nd elegance (see pictures below) a few days ago. I tried taking out the first and dipping it in Bayer and then ReVive. Did this twice over 4 days. No difference.

Does anyone know what this grey stuff is and what I can do?

Thank you!

First elegance coral ...

IMG_20200331_110037.jpg

2nd elegance coral

IMG_20200331_105935.jpg

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hard to tell without lots more data. It looks like you have other LPS extended which suggests water quality and general parameters are not the cause. Catalaphyllia are pretty hardy so it could be that they were in bad shape when you got them. It looks like the recession in the first picture has been there for a few weeks given the algae growth on the uncovered skeleton.

How is your water flow? What lighting?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pics, but from your description, and what I can see from your pics it sounds like classic ECS(elegance coral syndrome).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 54 54.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 23 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.0%
Back