Elegance Coral Problems

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was doing great and even grew two new mouths, then I think I ticked it off. It might have been stung by a favia or maybe chemical warfare and soft corals caused it. What do you think? I'm not seeing the usual tissue recession and it did well for a month or more. I've done an iodine dip. The next thing I'm thinking is to move it into a different tank that only has clove polyps. Or maybe make a 1 gallon tank just for it.

20180628_174547.jpg

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much the same thing happened to me. Mine was beautiful and thriving. Then suddenly there was one small part of it that had a white spot on it, around which the tentacles closed. Then it started getting gray like that. Thought it may be elegance coral syndrome after posting on here, so I fragged it. Both frags are actually still alive (been about a month or so) but neither seems to be growing or bouncing back terribly well. Not sure what the deal is, and wish I could be of more help. Will it accept food by chance?

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much the same thing happened to me. Mine was beautiful and thriving. Then suddenly there was one small part of it that had a white spot on it, around which the tentacles closed. Then it started getting gray like that. Thought it may be elegance coral syndrome after posting on here, so I fragged it. Both frags are actually still alive (been about a month or so) but neither seems to be growing or bouncing back terribly well. Not sure what the deal is, and wish I could be of more help. Will it accept food by chance?
I think it's still eating, but am not completely sure. Did you add Anthony new to the tank that could have caused it for you?

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Wish it was more obvious. Everything else has been doing great and growing like crazy. I even have a Duncan that had been ticked off hiding in his rock for 2 months that is now huge. Doesn't make any sense. Nobody ever bothered the elegance either...

Donsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is something with cone bottom species we went through the same problem with the cone bottom. I dipped it, move it to a low flow in coner in the tank. The only thing I didn't do was run carbon to see it helps.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about temperature? I think my tank currently runs between 73 and 75. What temperature do you have yours at?

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is something with cone bottom species we went through the same problem with the cone bottom. I dipped it, move it to a low flow in coner in the tank. The only thing I didn't do was run carbon to see it helps.
Did you try moving it to its own tank?

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty weird. I keep mine at 78. I tried dipping mine in ReVive. Hard to tell if it helped, maybe a little, but it's still not recovering. He should have been happy. What kind of lighting do you all have? I'm running the Steve'sLED Biocube 32 upgrade kit.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2 bulb t5 fixture with one blue and one coral. I think I going to bring mine to my house, set up a very small quarantine tank and dose it with cipro and iodine dips every day. I read about someone having theirs recover that way when I was researching how they do on cipro.

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I've heard of cipro for nems, but not for coral. Don't see why it wouldn't have an affect on something like an elegance that seems very anemone-ish anyway. Keep us posted, where can you get cipro?

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I've heard of cipro for nems, but not for coral. Don't see why it wouldn't have an affect on something like an elegance that seems very anemone-ish anyway. Keep us posted, where can you get cipro?
Working on that. I may have a vet send a script to an online company

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've lost a few and after researching I believe all mine were mostly simply not fed enough. Are you using anything other than roids? Might not be your issue but consider food source as a possibility. Maybe pellets or heavier foods?

Donsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a article i read about the infection that type of elegance has and the chances of it recovering in a home aquarium is very low.

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a article i read about the infection that type of elegance has and the chances of it recovering in a home aquarium is very low.
Yeah probably the dreaded elegance coral syndrome. Can you hunt down the article by chance? I have heard that only happens in wild elegances from around Indonesia. No idea where mine came from. If I end up with another some day, I'm going to make sure it's aquacultured or Australian. Hard for me to give ip hope on mine though...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back