OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many people have tried curing with cipro. Add iodine baths and I don't think any bacteria will be left Don't give up hope until it's a skeleton.

Also there is some fish cipro available. No prescription required.

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the sake of science, I think I could work that out. My tank is at my office though, so I couldn't start until next week. I probably wouldn't be able to get a decent light on it in a QT, you think that will matter?

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not sure. I debating how to do lighting too. After reading that article it probably depends on where the elegance is from. Some are from deeper water. Also I found another source for the meds https://www.payless-petproducts.com/site/mobile?url=https://www.payless-petproducts.com/ciprofloxacin500.html#2704
My vet doesn't have any on hand and this is a good price, so I think I order from them .
Mine is a more purple type. Here is a pic when he was doing well. Sorry about picture quality but it's all I have on hand. May be able to borrow some kind of light from somebody, not sure though. You think I should try the cipro too, or some other medication?

Screenshot_20180629-112702_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a more purple type. Here is a pic when he was doing well. Sorry about picture quality but it's all I have on hand. May be able to borrow some kind of light from somebody, not sure though. You think I should try the cipro too, or some other medication?

Screenshot_20180629-112702_Gallery.jpg
I hope you succeed in saving it. That one is gorgeous. Let's both try cipro and iodine dips for this round. Still researching for iodine dilution. Here's info for the cipro part.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2271385

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you succeed in saving it. That one is gorgeous. Let's both try cipro and iodine dips for this round. Still researching for iodine dilution. Here's info for the cipro part.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2271385
Oh yeah, he was a real beauty. You've got me inspired and determined. I'll get the iodine and cipro ordered and get this thing going as soon as they show up. Thanks!! Looking forward to saving our corals!

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually if we want to follow the person who had success to a T we should use lugols not betadine. It should be the same thing though and I have read reports about using betadine (which I keep on hand for myself and birds).

5ml/l http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-566702.html
I saw somewhere else that a person was using stronger dips and honestly I'm more inclined to go stronger than this. Also I'm thinking 20-40 mins on the dip, so it has time to soak in.

Also the original article http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2566972

I'm planning to get 250 tablets and having about 5g of water so I can just half the tablets.

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured lugols solution was what we should get. I'll order all that stuff tonight. My QT is currently growing tadpoles so I am going to grab one of those crappy plastic 5g tanks from wally world on Monday and get it running.
Every couple weeks frogs have a giant orgy (it's deafening) on our pool cover, so me and the kids scrape up the eggs and grow them out. It's pretty fun. And keeps the mosquito numbers down!

dvmsn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stinks. I miss the days when these we're "easy". It is a disease for sure, but whether it is a bacterial is not clear. My feeling that this is something they all get at the wholesaler level (although I have Zero proof for that) but since it all started about 15 or 20 years ago and it seems to happen to every one, it just doesn't seem possible that it is from the wild. A vendor did a crowdfunding drive to see if they could figure it out years ago, but I never saw any results despite donating.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stinks. I miss the days when these we're "easy". It is a disease for sure, but whether it is a bacterial is not clear. My feeling that this is something they all get at the wholesaler level (although I have Zero proof for that) but since it all started about 15 or 20 years ago and it seems to happen to every one, it just doesn't seem possible that it is from the wild. A vendor did a crowdfunding drive to see if they could figure it out years ago, but I never saw any results despite donating.
After reading the article above I'm inclined to think you're right. Also I'm inclined to think it's bacterial. Based on this article as well. I going to try to get in touch with the guy who wrote this. He's out of the hobby, but he's local to me, so maybe I can get him to at least teach me some is the methods he used to analyze the tissue. I'm already ahead of many people on this. I have a great microscope and a veterinarian who is friendly and I might be able to draw in.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried ordering from Payless Pet Products, but couldn't. I'm going to try calling tomorrow. If not I'll order from allivet or Dr. Fosters and Smith.

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I remember reading somewhere in the last few months something about how the oceanic stability around Indonesia was screwed up for some reason. It's all very vague in my mind, but I will see if I can dig that article up. That would certainly explain why the Indonesian elegance corals tend to fare much worse, but obviously doesn't explain failures with the Australian species.

I had issues ordering from that site also, I'm going to give it another go here in a few. I typed in my 3 digit security code wrong and that screwed everything up. Got the Lugols ordered.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an email explain the credit card problem . Their new processor has a cap on how much they can take in that way for the time being. Until the 10th they are only taking bitcoin, e-check, and mailed check. I'm debating between waiting until the 10th, so I can do a charge back if needed and trying a different source.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back